Two 50 watt Sunpower - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2022, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Two 50 watt Sunpower

Finished this today. Have Andersen connectors for two additional portable panels that gives me 310 watts total. Head for southeast Utah in 12 days to see if all this stuff works. Can't wait!!!
Attached Thumbnails
solar panels.jpg  
Old 10-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Nice neat install. Please update us on your results. Btw, what are those little doohickies that stick to the roof and hold the wires? I need to buy some but don’t know what to search for.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
Nice neat install. Please update us on your results. Btw, what are those little doohickies that stick to the roof and hold the wires? I need to buy some but don’t know what to search for.
Zip or cable tie mounts
https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Back.../dp/B06XNBS6TG
Old 10-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the link. Have you had good luck with them staying stuck? I had some one time that came loose. Maybe I didn’t prep the surface properly.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Have you had good luck with them staying stuck? I had some one time that came loose. Maybe I didn’t prep the surface properly.
I was just providing an example of what they are. I haven’t used them in a trailer roof application yet myself but from my experience the type with regular backing will undoubtedly fail. If it were me I would find ones with VHB backing and bury them in Dicor sealant as AM Solar does.
https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/92c-ratt
Old 10-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Panel attachment

Did you thru-bolt the panels in place where the screw & wing nut show?

What is your method of attachment?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #7

https://youtu.be/uJIEXhnF8MU

This is the install video that I used. Instead of the lattice caps for the leading and trailing edges, I used Eternabond. He tested it and it worked. I'm about to do a trip over 4,000 miles and I'll find out then for sure. Wish me luck
Old 10-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
The "doohickies" I used seemed very secure but as "Rubicon327" pointed out, I have doubts about how they will hold up over time exposed to the elements. I did cover them with a product I've used before for additional security. My experience with VHB tape in a hot humid environment hasn't always been good. Bryan on YouTube "RV with Tito" placed small strips of Eternabond tape over the "doohickies" and that seemed to work. I think a coat of something like Dicor over the mount base would do fine. When I get back from this trip I'll know what works and what doesn't, hopefully.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I was just providing an example of what they are. I haven’t used them in a trailer roof application yet myself but from my experience the type with regular backing will undoubtedly fail. If it were me I would find ones with VHB backing and bury them in Dicor sealant as AM Solar does.
https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/92c-ratt
I’m in total agreement. Doing extra work up front often pays.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
The "doohickies" I used seemed very secure but as "Rubicon327" pointed out, I have doubts about how they will hold up over time exposed to the elements. I did cover them with a product I've used before for additional security. My experience with VHB tape in a hot humid environment hasn't always been good. Bryan on YouTube "RV with Tito" placed small strips of Eternabond tape over the "doohickies" and that seemed to work. I think a coat of something like Dicor over the mount base would do fine. When I get back from this trip I'll know what works and what doesn't, hopefully.
I think your Dicor idea has merit. My experience has been on farm equipment in extreme dirt and vibration environments. In all cases the bond gradually loosened from the edge and dirt/dust worked its way in. Dicor might help prevent that and add a little adhesion of its own.
Do they sell that in small tubes you might easily apply before your big trip?
Old 10-15-2022, 07:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I used a similar product from Amazon but in white:
https://a.co/d/j1t5YXM

I did not use Dicor or anything else, as I prefer the cleaner look and easier access to the attachment points (e.g. for cleaning around them). I was just extra careful and thorough on the surface prep (like I was with my panel attachments), and thought I would see how they do. So far I have well over 10k miles in all kinds of weather and temperatures, including a winter uncovered in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Haven't had any fail yet...that said, I did just arrive in Florida and I haven't gone up there to check them since before I left on this trip...better add that to my to-do list for tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
20211016_162210.jpg  
Old 10-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
I used a similar product from Amazon but in white:
https://a.co/d/j1t5YXM

I did not use Dicor or anything else, as I prefer the cleaner look and easier access to the attachment points (e.g. for cleaning around them). I was just extra careful and thorough on the surface prep (like I was with my panel attachments), and thought I would see how they do. So far I have well over 10k miles in all kinds of weather and temperatures, including a winter uncovered in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Haven't had any fail yet...that said, I did just arrive in Florida and I haven't gone up there to check them since before I left on this trip...better add that to my to-do list for tomorrow!
My father smoked cigarettes all his life and never died of cancer.

It's not "If" but "When". From all the reading I've done, unless you use Dicor your VHB tape will eventually fail. Water gets to the tape and slowly loosens the tape. There is a picture somewhere on the web showing the one side of VHB tape on the bracket and the other side of the tape on the roof. The bracket separated because the thin product between each glue side absorbed water, degraded, and let go. Lack of Dicor and improper prep are why so many taped panels fail.

Dicor is not a neat product to work with, but you can't see the Dicor when standing on the ground.

I installed our panels to last at least 10 years, not a year or two. However, after a few years I'll realistically fail to check them, but our's have so much more square inches than recommended and proper water protection I doubt they'll fail in that time.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 10-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
My father smoked cigarettes all his life and never died of cancer.

It's not "If" but "When". From all the reading I've done, unless you use Dicor your VHB tape will eventually fail. Water gets to the tape and slowly loosens the tape. There is a picture somewhere on the web showing the one side of VHB tape on the bracket and the other side of the tape on the roof. The bracket separated because the thin product between each glue side absorbed water, degraded, and let go. Lack of Dicor and improper prep are why so many taped panels fail.

Dicor is not a neat product to work with, but you can't see the Dicor when standing on the ground.

I installed our panels to last at least 10 years, not a year or two. However, after a few years I'll realistically fail to check them, but our's have so much more square inches than recommended and proper water protection I doubt they'll fail in that time.

Food for thought,

Perry
We are not talking about the panel attachments, just the little doohickeys that help keep the wires neat. All of those could fail and my whole system would be fine. And since I got a hundred of them for 12 bucks, I can afford to replace a few in the future. My panel attachments are a whole 'nother story...
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
We are not talking about the panel attachments, just the little doohickeys that help keep the wires neat. All of those could fail and my whole system would be fine. And since I got a hundred of them for 12 bucks, I can afford to replace a few in the future. My panel attachments are a whole 'nother story...
Sorry, what one writes and another reads can be different. My bad!

I got most of our cable tie holders from AM Solar, but found the few extras I needed at Lowes for about 1/3 the price. Cable ties, not cable tie holders, are known for UV degrading in the sun. I got UV resistent cable ties, but I'll let you know when mine fail.

I wish we weren't meeting Terry's son, GF and daughter in the next hour when you came over to talk at MRR. You were definitely one of those I wanted to talk to. Hopefully we can meet some time in the future.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Sorry, what one writes and another reads can be different. My bad!

I got most of our cable tie holders from AM Solar, but found the few extras I needed at Lowes for about 1/3 the price. Cable ties, not cable tie holders, are known for UV degrading in the sun. I got UV resistent cable ties, but I'll let you know when mine fail.

I wish we weren't meeting Terry's son, GF and daughter in the next hour when you came over to talk at MRR. You were definitely one of those I wanted to talk to. Hopefully we can meet some time in the future.

Enjoy,

Perry
No worries, and yes the rally was awesome but a bit of a whirlwind for me as I got there late Friday, next year I want to get there earlier to have more time!