U Shaped Dinette in a 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
U Shaped Dinette in a 19'

Just working on the Build Sheet for our new 19. Thinking about the U Shaped Dinette. From the pictures it appears that the space for this is obtained by shortening the 2 benches, and well, where else would it come from? So the price to "pay" for the 3rd bench would be to shorten the other 2 and it appears thereby decrease the actual space for feet and legs under the table. This seems like a not particularly good idea in terms of increasing seating and comfort. Those of you who have seen or have the U Shaped Dinette, am I missing something? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This answer needs to come from 19' owners since the dinette is in front. I love mine, but it's in the rear of the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Yes, I need to be clear that this is the FRONT dinette I am asking about, thanks Donna!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Not missing anything. Loosing foot room, gaining storage. It's just a matter what people like.
If you are planning on sitting at the dinette with more then two people, I would recommend the standard configuration. Bigger table, better leg room.
The u shape is more for looks then for comfort. This bench is too narrow to sit comfortably, except for maybe kids.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
We are buying a 19. We considered the U shaped dinette (it really does look good in pictures) but we aren't willing to give up the queen size bed because that was the main reason for choosing the 19
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We have u-shape in our 21 and while it's fine, I agree with Marry that the form is better than the function.In a 19 there is more cramping and would think most would actually like the standard dinette better.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
We are buying a 19. We considered the U shaped dinette (it really does look good in pictures) but we aren't willing to give up the queen size bed because that was the main reason for choosing the 19
Not sure what you are getting or saying here but usually the dinette has nothing to do with the bed. You would still have a queen bed in a 19' no matter what you do with the dinette unless maybe you have changed their placement.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #8

With the U dinette, items can be placed on the U end that you want out, so as to use the side dinette bench areas for seating. Many people use the U by adding a board in front of it for a lounge space. Some of us also do not use the table but leave it at home so that we have easy access to the whole U.

The table in the 19', by the way, was large and unwieldy for me. The smaller table in the 21' with the U is much more manageable --- but we leave ours at home anyway!

Mentioning the bench space, yes, that is big, too. We have our batteries, converter, EMS and more under the U end which gives us more bench space on the sides.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If this helps:

We have the U-shaped dinette in our 19. It does provide more under bench storage, and I like the fact that the WFCO is mounted under the bench along the front of the trailer. But, I'm not really convinced that a U-shaped dinette works well in a 19. It's slightly narrower than a 21 or a 5.0TA, and that few extra inches would certainly come in handy. And, since it's not as deep as the U-shaped dinette in the larger trailers, it's difficult to sit along the back without a tight squeeze between the bench and the table. I've adjusted ours somewhat, and the Springfield pedestal helps because we can rotate the table. It does work for us, but I'm not sure I'd get it if I was ordering today.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
m
Not sure what you are getting or saying here but usually the dinette has nothing to do with the bed. You would still have a queen bed in a 19' no matter what you do with the dinette unless maybe you have changed their placement.
You are correct. I was not being clear. The spacious U shaped dinette photos I've seen are in tne rear. That means sleeping in tne front (unless you want to make up the bed each night. At any rate, you would not have the 8" mattress.

I asked about placing tne U shaped dinette in tne front. The table dimensions would be 29 x 30 vs 43 x 30 for the regular size table.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
You are correct. I was not being clear. The spacious U shaped dinette photos I've seen are in tne rear. That means sleeping in tne front (unless you want to make up the bed each night. At any rate, you would not have the 8" mattress.

I asked about placing tne U shaped dinette in tne front. The table dimensions would be 29 x 30 vs 43 x 30 for the regular size table.
Well, since we do not have the table there at all (have two counter extensions at the dinette), the smaller table does not matter to us. I would say, however, that the standard table is quite large and I hardly felt that we needed anything that big. But if you have a family or specific use for a big table, then you want it. The smaller table is plenty as far as I am concerned and found the big table just in the way. (And the small one also!)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have the U dinette in our 19' but our trailer was purchased used so we didn't have a choice. If I was ordering new I think I would probably go with the standard dinette. There are pros/cons to the U shape.

-The third bench is definitely too small for an adult (but the dog likes it) and therefore only really sits two people
-Overall it feels a bit small and cramped
-It is nice to be able to sit in the corner and put your feet up on the third bench
-The smaller table works really well with a pneumatic pedestal. Not sure if the larger standard table would work or not with a single pneumatic pedestal.
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
It looks great, but the functionality is less than perfect. We have a u-shaped dinette and find we don't gain that much storage since the electrical equipment takes up a good portion of the space. When getting this shape, you will also get smaller pillows to curve around the back corners and they are cumbersome, plus the back pillow mounted on a hard surface. The table is smaller and when we remove it, the back bench isn't as comfortable since it is narrow. I wish I would have asked this question when our trailer was being built. I would not do it again.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We have it and my wife loves it. We don't eat inside, so we don't use the table. She uses it as a place to lounge and read at night after I go to bed. So it works well for that purpose.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Really depends on what and how you are planning to use it. Our U dinette's purpose is to be the lounge/living room. So we have the filler board and mostly use it without a table. Works great for that purpose and love it. We will eventually do a small round cocktail table like Marry got for occasional use.
If you are wanting a traditional trailer dinette with four people eating then you will want the standard. Although I will say we have two teenagers and all four of us eat at the U dinette and table without any problems when they come along. Our son is 6'1" so it can service four people at meals just fine.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19
I have u dinette in my 19 and it works great for me. The smaller table I love, I have the Springfield base and it does give you lots of adjustment for table top location. In hindsight, I would look for a removable table base.

I usually remove the backboard on the bench and it does give you more room for an adult to sit at the table. Instead of the backboard, I have some extra pillows for lounging.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #17

We bought Sequoia table bases and sent them to Escape where they installed them. These bases only stick up slightly from the floor compared to the cones and we have them covered with rugs.

The place we bought from is no longer selling them. You would also have to make certain to get the correct size as there is more than one size.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #18

Here are our items taking up the U end of the dinette. Both batteries there.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #19

Space then left under side bench --- now full of our stuff! Items on U end would have been taking up side bench space.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Man, I love the batteries being outside in the storage box on our 19.