under bed storage for Escape 19 - minimal woodworking skills - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 in 2019, Escape 15a in 2014, Scamp 13 in 2006
under bed storage for Escape 19 - minimal woodworking skills

We recently purchased an Escape 19, first generation. It has the permanent bed and I wanted an under bed storage drawer. I learned a lot from the many posts. But I'm not a woodworker and have minimal tools. Here is what I did.

1. Went to Home depot and bought a sheet of 3/8 plywood. I felt 1/2 inch was too much/heavy. I had them do the cuts. I have a 2x4 bottom and 12 inch sides. Simple cuts all for free. Final drawer size - 4 feet long, 12 inches high, and 24 inches wide.

2. Assemble the sides using screws, glue and a cordless drill. Tools most of us would have.

3. The 19 footer has a raised section under the bed (2 3/4 inches higher than actual floor), but set back from the doors by 4 inches. Perfect. I used standard non swivel casters 2 1/2 inches high at the front under side of the drawer. These casters fit perfectly in this space and are a fraction of an inch above the floor. So the drawer doesn't roll. It actually sits on the raised platform.

4. I wasn't going to pay a few hundred dollars for the long drawer slides at Lee Valley and then deal with attaching them and lining them up and screwing into the floor - too much skill needed for me. SO, at Lee Valley I bought 2 side mount casters for $3.70 Canadian each. I mounted these near the rear of the drawer so less than a quarter inch of the wheel was below the drawer.*

5. In the front of the drawer, I cut out a hole for your hands to slightly raise and pull the drawer forward. It rolls great on the rear casters. Once its pulled out a bit the front casters touch the floor and it rolls on all 4 casters.Also the front castors will hit the 1 inch high strip of wood right behind the doors. So when i brake a bit hard it can only slide forward a bit before stopping. If i slam on the brakes hard the lip may not stop the drawer so I may add something else to act as a stopper - but thats for later.Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Drawer in Trailer.jpg   Full drawer.jpg   Front caster closeup.jpg   Rear caster closeup.jpg  
Windymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Simple and easy well done
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bravo!

Elegant solution. Well done and concieved.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
You say you're "not a woodworker." Coulda fooled me. You did a great job. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Well done. I may co-opt your idea. Might be able to find a way to bungee cord the drawer while driving.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Nice work. It looks like it would be pretty easy to slide over to the curb side a bit to access the bypass valves on the water heater piping and if you have it the EZ winterizing tee for antifreeze.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Nice, and I could modify that for my 15A where I use the dinette as permanent bed. (Now that I don't have a dog that sleeps under it.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 in 2019, Escape 15a in 2014, Scamp 13 in 2006
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
Since it’s not on rails, the drawer is able to move to the side quite easily. I can move it left and then access the EZ winterizing tee that I installed - I do have to lift the mattress and the panel above the water pump area. If I move it fully to the right, I can access long items I can lay beside the drawer.
Note I am still debating on adding a partition wall between the drawer and the passenger side where I have the exterior access hatch. I may add it for part of the length.

I have thought of the bungee chord and will probably do that as a simple solution to ensuring it never rolls forward during sudden stops. The hole for the handle is ideal to wrap a bungee chord around and then fasten to 2 eye bolts I would add on the sides.
Windymountain is offline   Reply With Quote