under carriage insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0
under carriage insulation

i saw posts in the past. I want to "aftermarket" get our 5.0 insulated can someone direct me to posts and/or suggestions on how to do it? Thanks
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Ours was done at the factory so I can't advise on how to do it or what product to use. But just as an illustration, here are photos of the fresh water tank before and after the foam is applied, you can see that they foam the entire tank and then cut away a small piece right in the corner to keep the drain spigot accessible. Also here's a photo of what the foam looks like on the dump valves - they completely cover the black and gray drain pipes right up to the gate valves.

The insulation goes on kind of a dull yellow color and then they spray paint the exposed areas black; the flat area on the bottom of the shell / floor doesn't get painted since it is not visible. The spray foam is not the prettiest stuff, but it does a good job of both insulating and protecting the tanks and bottom of the shell.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh water tank 1.jpg   Fresh water tank 2.jpg   Dump valves 2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can be the pioneer and report back. some owners have installed flat sheets to their units, but the factory spray covers almost the entire undercarriage, tanks and frame. Really protects and keeps it warmer as well as cooler.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I had the foam sprayed on 2015 during the build. In many ways, I find it to be a compromise. It does protect structures from damage whether that be rust or impact, but it makes it difficult if anything covered with foam malfunctions. Recently, my gray water tank sensors started to indicate the tank was full when it was actually empty. After trying to clean the sensors two ways to no avail, I had visions of having to chip away at foam to find the probes and associated wiring. I zipped emails off to KIB (the monitor manufacturer) and to ETI. KIB responded that they occasionally have circuit board failure and the parts guy at ETI stated that I had done exactly what ETI would have done (attempted cleaning) and it was most likely the monitor, a model which ETI no longer uses. So I ordered a new monitor ($59) because that was the “easy” fix. Fortunately, it was the circuit board and everything is reading correctly now. And I sent a photo of the board to my son who designs and builds circuit boards for a defense contractor and he suspects it is a defective $0.42 Texas Instruments chip (one of three) on the board; said he will trouble shoot it and replace the chip if it tests as defective.
I also do not find that the foam keeps the floor much warmer in cold weather or cooler in hot weather though I believe it does provide a degree of freeze protection in water pipes and tanks. It also deadens sounds that may emanate from animals such as squirrels chasing each other or armadillos foraging for food under the trailer, but the initial expense for the noise cancelling benefit is somewhat questionable. Therefore, I perceive any benefit versus any detriment truly shows the foam to be a compromise.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote