Under Step Storage 5.0 TA - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
With some help from Chris I just finished rebuilding the top step on my 2012. More work then I envisioned but I'm happy with how it came out. Carpet from HD matches fairly well, will redo the other 2 steps when we get back in the spring. Now for shrinking down the table.
looks good Bob, table should be easy after the top step
Old 11-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have better luck buying wood at HD than I do at Lowes. For whatever reason, during the wet months HD wood is dry and ready to be used. Stuff I buy at Lowes I need to leave in the garage for weeks and even then sometimes it warps out of shape.

My daughter sells fertilizer at HD and that's no bull...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For almost type of product, there is an ideal place to find the best products and selection, and it's not a broad-line retailer. So, do you buy that type of product often enough to know where to get it? For most things, for most people, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Around here I've found HD pretty useless. You wander around for several minutes, can't find the item, ask a clerk, they look for several minutes, then come to find out they don't have it. Then you go to Ace Hardware or even Lowes, they have it, it's where you expected it to be, and you're set.
I sympathize with the Home Depot experience, but I find it no different at Lowes. There are no Ace Hardware stores here except in small towns, because they can't compete with the big stores. The equivalent here to what you might find at Ace Hardware is probably Home Hardware... but I wouldn't buy specialty wood at Home Hardware - that's what Windsor Plywood is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant for those still wondering) has limitations, but does have some good product, no different than Lowes or Rona.
... or Totem. I agree.

Quote:
In fact, I have taken customers aside after cringing hearing what the associate gave them for advice.
Essentially the same here, although more commonly I've explained something that the associate simply didn't know about, rather than correcting bad advice... especially in hardware (fasteners).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... or Totem. I agree.
There is no more Totem. Rona bought them out a few years ago. While I still do shop there, and buy most of my framing materials there, they are nowhere near as good of company as they were before.

Though Rona was taken over by Lowe's Canada earlier this year, but is still flying the Rona banner for now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
There is no more Totem. Rona bought them out a few years ago. While I still do shop there, and buy most of my framing materials there, they are nowhere near as good of company as they were before.

Though Rona was taken over by Lowe's Canada earlier this year, but is still flying the Rona banner for now.
Ah, right - I forgot about that. The Totem store has a Rona sign now, but I go there so rarely I hadn't noticed any meaningful change.

Home Depot bought Aikenhead's, Rona bought Revestoke, Lowes bought Rona - they're all just different labels for the same thing.

I don't know if the Lowes purchase of Rona has had much effect, as I rarely go to either. It's hard to believe that there is difference between Rona/Lowes and Home Depot, since they are doing the same thing in the same market with the same suppliers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
5.0TA Top Step STorage Mod

I have given much thought to turning the empty unused space under the top step to the loft into usable storage.

Some on here have turned the top step into a hinged step and made this space into its own compartment by putting in a bottom.

I’m thinking of going in different route, but accomplishing basically the same thing. For reference I’ve attached a crude Photoshop image showing what I’m thinking of.

My thoughts are to cut an opening into the face of top step. Much of this area is already framed so only small amount of framing would be needed on the left or drivers side and then enclose this upper section by putting in a bottom. Door would be hinged on the bottom to open top down. I’ve looked at and took pictures from the inside and it appears very do-able.

Cannot say I’ve seen anyone do it this way and just checking to see if anyone has before I start cutting?
Attached Thumbnails
Top Step Storage Solution DSC_1973.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #47

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I have given much thought to turning the empty unused space under the top step to the loft into usable storage.

Some on here have turned the top step into a hinged step and made this space into its own compartment by putting in a bottom.

I’m thinking of going in different route, but accomplishing basically the same thing. For reference I’ve attached a crude Photoshop image showing what I’m thinking of.

My thoughts are to cut an opening into the face of top step. Much of this area is already framed so only small amount of framing would be needed on the left or drivers side and then enclose this upper section by putting in a bottom. Door would be hinged on the bottom to open top down. I’ve looked at and took pictures from the inside and it appears very do-able.

Cannot say I’ve seen anyone do it this way and just checking to see if anyone has before I start cutting?

Good thought! But if it was me, I would want to make it into a drawer! No searching in the dark hole, easy acces. (Just a thought....)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Good idea Kent. ETI thought so too when they added the door to that area in the 5.0 Classic. This is a lousy picture, I snagged it from an old brochure.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #49

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Here's a better photo of the door under bed in a single axle 5.0
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2200.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #50

Quote:

Just make sure you have good support on top of the opening. It has to take a lot of force as you step up into the loft. You would likely still have to remove the tread in order to do the needed framing.

I still think the route I took, in hinging the tread is a better way to go. Accessing things would be easy easier than a narrow door, and larger items can be stowed.

Still a MUCH better way to go than leaving it wasted space.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #51

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I thought the space under the top step was accessible from the front storage, guess not. My apologies for the misinformation to those who toured my trailer since the body change.

FWIW, I open mine from the top, I like it being full length from the closet to the drawer cabinet, not the easiest mod to do. A drawer or door as shown may be more doable for some. On my 2014, there was no bottom to this space, it was a little tricky getting one in there.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #52

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i would love to be able to utilize that space!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #53

Quote:
I thought the space under the top step was accessible from the front storage, guess not. My apologies for the misinformation to those who toured my trailer since the body change.
I had entertained the thought of accessing it from the front storage hatch, but it turned out that it did no align all that well, and it would be tough to access being so deep.

I love the solution of the hinged step following Chris R's lead. We store our roll up aluminum table, a couple of Kermit chairs, and a few other things in their too.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #54

Quote:
I had entertained the thought of accessing it from the front storage hatch, but it turned out that it did no align all that well, and it would be tough to access being so deep.

I love the solution of the hinged step following Chris R's lead. We store our roll up aluminum table, a couple of Kermit chairs, and a few other things in their too.

I copied his too, Deb's piano keyboard fits perfectly.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Recently did this for our last outing, taller space allows easy storage and access to our portable table. Added a shelf to the left for our vac and extra shoes. Purposely replaced carpet with a commercial type that I hope will be easier to maintain.😎
Attached Thumbnails
0A39B2D8-6534-469B-8B90-B71A97AA2429.jpg   B3E8B0E5-1BB8-4DA3-BA81-7DC720505F2Ca.jpg   259AD51E-9068-4628-A529-72207183AE26a.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:

That was my initial thought, I asked Reace about it, and he seemed to be a little concerned about the strength in terms of the width of pretty much the whole step, and stepping on the front of the step.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
That was my initial thought, I asked Reace about it, and he seemed to be a little concerned about the strength in terms of the width of pretty much the whole step, and stepping on the front of the step.

I had heard that too before I opened up the step, living on the edge I did it anyway. So far I see no issues, but then it's only been a year or 2, maybe 150 nights. I do feel the front of the step flex a little when I step on it, don't recall that before the mod.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I think it was more about opening it up with the door in the riser in front, it seems everyone has had pretty good luck with the opening on a hinge on the top.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #59

Quote:
I had heard that too before I opened up the step, living on the edge I did it anyway. So far I see no issues, but then it's only been a year or 2, maybe 150 nights. I do feel the front of the step flex a little when I step on it, don't recall that before the mod.
I don't think it is an issue at all. I changed nothing on the riser of the top step, where all the strength would be for taking weight. Opening the riser up to put a door in could definitely weaken the support of the riser, thus my caution to Kent.

In the photos of the 5.0 with the door on the riser, note that there is a broad space above the door where I imagine good support was used.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #60

It's possible the flex I feel is the tread, maybe I just need to lose weight.