Unscientific VHB Test - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Unscientific VHB Test

Many Escape owners add Umbra hooks to their trailer. The nagging question is whether any reinforcement or screws behind the bar is necessary. I've added five sets of Umbra hooks to our Escape, all using VHB tape. This is in the spirit of "no holes."

I finally decided to investigate how much weight my Umbra hooks can hold with VHB tape. [It was a lazy Sunday afternoon.] Of course, I did not want them to fail so I was reasonable with the weight: I did my "test" using 5 pound weights, adding one at a time until I reached 20 pounds. I can't imagine ever hanging anything heavier than 20 pounds on a wall hook anyway.

Two pictures illustrate the limited results. The first is of the foreword-facing bathroom wall in our 19. Absolutely no problems with 20 pounds. The second is of the inside-facing bathroom wall. Again, absolutely no problems with 20 pounds. I chose not to test the hooks on the bathroom door. I was more concerned about the hinges than the Umbra hook. And yes, it was a static test: no bumps or movement. But hey, I said it was unscientific.

So, do you need extra support? Or screws/fasteners to hold the Umbra sets? Well, of course you decide. Ours have none. And it works for us.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0898[1].jpg   IMG_0899[1].jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd be worried about tearing the "oak" surface. Don't advise any more testing.
I failed to read the instructions about removal of 3M Hook and tore a small patch. Solution was to put the hook back up in the same place instead of moving it.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Like Glenn says, the VHB bond to the Umbra and to the "oak" veneer is probably stronger than the bond of the veneer itself to its thin plywood backing. I've pulled some off just with double sided tape holding down non-slip stuff inside a cabinet.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sounds like a good test, be interested in hearing how they do after sitting through a freezing winter, and an Arizona summer. I had a couple of my 3M command hooks fall off at some point over the winter.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

I think the difference is the surface area. There's so many square inches behind the Umbra book bar compared to a 3M Command hook. My Umbras never budged in our 17B in the four years we had it. And they certainly went through many temperature changes, both hot and cold. I've even successfully "popped" a misplaced VHB item off, without tearing the paper veneer. Just lucky I guess.

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 08-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What gBags and Eric said.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

Looks like I somehow posted this thread twice. I've been getting some "server not found" errors. Perhaps someone could correct this and combine them?

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 08-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
hoping this worked. doesn't help that both threads have the same title.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I use a LOT of industrial grade 3M VHB tapes (different types) in my products; their spec sheets say 72 hours is required for a full cure of the adhesive prior to applying any weight. The retail (Command Series) is not a very good tape for trailers - if you read the specs on the package it states the adhesive may fail above 104F, which is easily attained in a closed up trailer in storage in some areas. For a strength assessment, look at the "peel strength" in the spec which is stated in terms of pounds per square inch. Then it's just math to figure out how much weight is too much to risk. If you try and peel it off the wood surface shortly after applying it there shouldn't be much risk. A few days later the story may differ.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote