Updated cubby in our 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Updated cubby in our 21

The standard cubby section in our 21 contains some wasted space and did not hold our maps and paperwork to our satisfaction. In addition, if modified, could also add additional coat hanging space. So, the update cubby project was initiated.

First, it is not very easy to remove. It is framed out by ETI and then covered with the plywood paneling. The few exposed screw heads do not come close to removing the unit. I removed the screws holding the plastic pockets and they fall to the bottom. They can be moved around and some of the internal mounting screws can be removed, but not all of them. The vertical wall closest to the door had to be pried off. But, it does come off with minimal damage, which will be covered. The first picture shows the resulting area. There are 1x studs in the bathroom wall and a 2x3 that holds the door unit. There is nothing in the ceiling area. (Ask me how I know.. I thought there might be some glassed in wood, but no. I drilled a hole right though the fiberglass under the awning.)

I bought some 1/4" oak paneling and cut a piece to fill in the wall. There is some curve to the wall. I then cut pieces for the bathroom wall and the side of the 2x3. They had to trimmed to match the curve of the wall. When nailed in, they hold the larger wall piece in position. I made a small trim piece to cover the edge on the bathroom wall. I used small nails in my nail gun to attach.

I made a large piece of moulding to cover the edge on the 2x3 side and also cover the cut vinyl covering. This is screwed into the 2x3.
At the top, I wanted to mount a cut-down Umbra hook. This piece was a bit tricky as it has to cover the roof curve and cut vinyl wall covering. It also has to be mounted to the sides as there is no wood at the top. The second picture show the piece. It is not perfect, but works. It was mounted to the sides with small angle brackets.

Some wire baskets were added at the bottom half to store maps and such.

The extra hooks are very handy. The picture doesn't show it, but I hot glued some trim pieces around the top to get a better fit and finish.

I found that Minwax Natural color stain produces a very close match to the original finish.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1879a.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	52903

Name:	DSCN1881.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	52899

Name:	DSCN1883.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	52900

Name:	DSCN1886a.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	52902
Old 12-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Another job well done

Bob,

Your mod looks good. You could get some paint on that angle bracket to blend it in. The shiny metal caught my eye .

A hole in the roof? No problem...some Marine Tex epoxy will make it disappear, and permanently seal it. Live & learn.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Is the black pipe in the bathroom wall where the sink drain connects or a vent line? I'm reworking my sink and was considering opening that spot myself - thanks!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
The standard cubby section in our 21 contains some wasted space and did not hold our maps and paperwork to our satisfaction. In addition, if modified, could also add additional coat hanging space. So, the update cubby project was initiated.
Looks like a great mod Bob, I like it.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Is the black pipe in the bathroom wall where the sink drain connects or a vent line? I'm reworking my sink and was considering opening that spot myself - thanks!
I believe it is the connection to the vent. I didn't look too close. The white section is the drain connection to the sink. I was told the trap is under the trailer.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
I believe it is the connection to the vent. I didn't look too close. The white section is the drain connection to the sink. I was told the trap is under the trailer.
Above the white section (piping Tee) is the air admittance valve. You might want to remember it's location as when it fails, you will want to get back in there to replace it. Per code it must be accessible:

"AAVs shall be accessible, should replacement be required. Such valves shall be installed in a location that allows air to enter the valve. Locating the valve in a sink or vanity cabinet is accessible. For in wall installation, use a recess box/grill combination or access grill."

https://www.iccsafe.org/building-saf...ttance-valves/
Old 12-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Above the white section (piping Tee) is the air admittance valve. You might want to remember it's location as when it fails, you will want to get back in there to replace it.
Our 2014-21 doesn't have a valve. It just has an extra pipe that sticks up underneath the sink with an open top. Essentially just a 2nd drain pipe. I was told it's a Canadian style vent.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Our 2014-21 doesn't have a valve. It just has an extra pipe that sticks up underneath the sink with an open top. Essentially just a 2nd drain pipe. I was told it's a Canadian style vent.
I saw that in your pics - strange. So if the shower trap empties, you get grey tank smells under your sink? If you install a Hepvo valve, you can get rid of that open pipe as the Hepvo eliminates the need for a vent.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...21-a-9445.html
Old 12-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I saw that in your pics - strange. So if the shower trap empties, you get grey tank smells under your sink? If you install a Hepvo valve, you can get rid of that open pipe as the Hepvo eliminates the need for a vent.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...21-a-9445.html
We've never had a problem, though! Think there's a similar vent somewhere in the drivers side cabinets that I never went to look for, although I read some folks did have a problem with that one.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com