Upgrade Dometic Refrig from 5 to larger 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 E19
Question Upgrade Dometic Refrig from 5 to larger 6

Hi - Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their Dometic RM2554 (5 foot) to the larger Dometic DM2683 (6 foot). We purchased an E19 in November 2021 through the inventory lottery and it came with the 5 foot refrigerator. Just came home from a 6 week trip to Florida and loved the trailer, except for the small freezer in our 5 foot refrigerator. I feed "raw" to our dogs and it was a struggle figuring out how to store frozen chicken necks in that tiny freezer. We had originally wanted to buy an 21NE with the bigger refrigerator (with separate door for the freezer), but went for the inventory 19 since we got it a year and a half sooner. We're not interested in a compressor refrig and the refrig portion of the Dometic is fine in size. Looked at portable DC/AC freezers and don't like how much power they use. Also looked at a portable propane freezer, but that's too heavy. So it seems like the best alternatives would be to replace it with the Dometic DM2683 if that's doable, or continue to make do with a chest freezer/ice packs/buying along the way/etc. I know we'll lose the microwave above the current fridge since the other one is taller, but that's ok.
JudyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
I'm not clear how much power you consider to be too much. A 12 volt compressor fridge only runs part-time; there's quite a bit of information about this online.

I bought an off brand F40C4TMP 20-quart chest freezer for $200 a couple years back. It's rated to draw 45 watts when running.

It hasn't seemed to regulate temperatures very well as a refrigerator, though other reviewers seem to like it. But it will readily cool to well below 10 degrees when set to run as a freezer.

Some of these units offer upholstered bags to improve the insulation. I just use blankets that we always carry in the car.

It seems that something like this might be worth a try before investing in a replacement refrigerator installation for a trailer.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
All I can comment on is that we have the 6 cu ft. fridge in our 2021 E-19. One reason I selected the option is because I'd had the same fridge in my previous stick built trailer, and it was a great performer over 10 years. Always cold in hot weather, great space and separate freezer, and reliable. I saw ETI offered the same unit, so I jumped on it. Plus, I don't want / need a microwave.

Now, is it worth the effort and cost to change out a brand new 5 cu foot for the bigger 6? I can't say. I've heard that they barely fit through the trailer door, so I'd look for any pictures or experience anyone here on this site can give you in doing the swap.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Got 190 watts solar on the roof and a Batleborn 100AH LifePO4 lithium. Been thinking about replacing my 3-way 4.3 cu ft Dometic 8551 with a AC/DC version. My 19 is the earlier "classic" style but this might help others.
Attached Thumbnails
doorway.jpg  
Old 01-26-2022, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Honestly, I would not replace a Dometic appliance with anything made by Dometic. I would find a different brand.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #6

That was one of my concerns - the door width. Also we don’t know if the venting is the same area for the larger fridge. We have 2 190 watt solar panels on top of the trailer and 2 100ah lithium batteries. So I think we’ll try with a DC powered chest freezer and see if that works - a lot cheaper than replacing the fridge. We tend to boondock on solar and propane, with occasional stays in a state park when we can get a reservation (those book up so fast and we don’t tend to plan out trips so far in advance) and that re- tops the batteries if needed. May eventually get a Honda generator with a propane conversion installed if it looks like we need it for longer boondocking.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyS View Post
That was one of my concerns - the door width. Also we don’t know if the venting is the same area for the larger fridge. We have 2 190 watt solar panels on top of the trailer and 2 100ah lithium batteries. So I think we’ll try with a DC powered chest freezer and see if that works - a lot cheaper than replacing the fridge. We tend to boondock on solar and propane, with occasional stays in a state park when we can get a reservation (those book up so fast and we don’t tend to plan out trips so far in advance) and that re- tops the batteries if needed. May eventually get a Honda generator with a propane conversion installed if it looks like we need it for longer boondocking.
I think the door width is wider on the newer trailers. Check your measurement before saying it doesn't fit
Old 01-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #8

Measured our E19 door and it’s about 22 1/2 inches. Both the 5 and 6 cubic foot Dometic refrigerators say 24 7/8 inch width, and depth is 24 11/16 on the 5 and 26 on the 6. Don’t know if the depth is less if you remove the refrigerator door? How did others remove the Dometic refrigerator when it fails or they put in a different refrigerator?
Old 08-09-2022, 11:28 PM   #9
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyS View Post
Measured our E19 door and it’s about 22 1/2 inches. Both the 5 and 6 cubic foot Dometic refrigerators say 24 7/8 inch width, and depth is 24 11/16 on the 5 and 26 on the 6. Don’t know if the depth is less if you remove the refrigerator door? How did others remove the Dometic refrigerator when it fails or they put in a different refrigerator?
No answer seems like this hasn't been done. The one thing I wish we did was get a bigger fridge. Due to the small door opening, we can't!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
If you look at pictures from ETI, or this forum, of gen 2 19’s with both fridges, I think you could see what’s involved. I haven’t looked closely enough to be certain, but both fridges are used in the same location on the recent 19’s. My build pictures are in my album on the forum with the 6’ fridge, and it’s likely so is someone’s with the 5’. I don’t know for sure on all trailers, but many if not all gen 2 use the same Norcold outside rear fridge vent. You will have to check the variables for your specific trailer, but if you are a little handy with simple woodwork, this appears a pretty direct possibility. Sometimes things aren’t what they appear, so measure and check your own trailer first - especially in this time of supply chain substitutions.

Tags
6 cubic foot, dometic, refrigerator