USB Outlets - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post

do keep in mind that these receptacles will require a retrofit of the gang box as the stock electrical box was not deep enough so i had to replace mine
That's odd because the ones I used fit into the gang box with no problem. And it was a shallow box, but everything fit just fine.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
There are shallow receptacles with USB and deep ones, depending on the brand. I think the whole USB port issue is a non-issue. There are so many ways to get USB ports via an adapter that I see no need for built-ins. If we ever find ourselves in a "USB shortage" that's the time to consider leaving it behind and go hike, kayak, swim, birdwatch or some other "unplugged" activity. My two cents.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If we ever find ourselves in a "USB shortage" that's the time to consider leaving it behind and go hike, kayak, swim, birdwatch or some other "unplugged" activity. My two cents.
You are 100% correct. As nice as these devices are, sometimes it's nicer leaving them off.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
We just completed the build sheet last month for a 2015 trailer and was told the standard 12V outlet looks like this. Should be able to retrofit to existing 12V outlet?
Just to clarify, this 12V/USB outlet is fairly new and has replaced the standard single 12V outlet. It has not made it to the options list yet, therefore additional 12V outlets are still single 12V units unless otherwise specified.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Just to clarify, this 12V/USB outlet is fairly new and has replaced the standard single 12V outlet. It has not made it to the options list yet, therefore additional 12V outlets are still single 12V units unless otherwise specified.

Reace
Oh no. Looks like we will need the adapters. Lots of them.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Why so many? When we were doing our build list we asked Kim at ETI about it and I forget the exact wording but it was in essence "you don't need it". And we don't. We have a Ventev 2.1A dual output car charger that has one USB plug plus the micro USB. After that we've used on occasion our AC charger while running the inverter.

We invested in solar to charge our battery. Having camped about 40 nights thus far we've found the single 12V Group 29 battery almost always fully charged. With our 17B/dual 6V/no solar we could only camp for 4 nights before needing a charge. So with the solar investment it made sense to get the inverter. We didn't add any 12V or AC plugs and don't miss them.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Why so many?
We noticed that we have been trying to charge at least 4 devices at night all at once so they will be ready by the morning. It's not about whether we have enough juice in the battery but we seem to run out of chargers all the time. We use our tablets for everything, from watching movies to reviewing homework. Besides, the kids (4 and 7) tend to get the "waterfall" devices and battery life of those devices are not so great.

We didn't order the inverter despite we have the solar. We have no A/C and no microwave. Tablets and phone aside we really don't *need* any 120v appliances. But I will bring a toaster oven as a treat if I know we will be camping with shore power.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most of these devices will be charged within 2-3 hours, so a single 12v outlet or maybe 2 should handle your needs, except for having to unplug and plug another in occasionally.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We have four 12v outlets in our 19'. One is setup for use with the TV but the others are used for charging stuff. Three outlets just meets our needs as there are always phones, cameras or iPads being charged. I personally would not go with less than four outlets, but others may have their own requirements.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #30

In addition there are plug in multi adapters that allow 2-3 usb ports Amazon.com: Sanoxy Two-Way 12V DC Car Charger Double Power Adapter Socket Dual Splitter for Most Cell Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Attached Thumbnails
31UBXMUp4jL.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I need to send in an email for clarification on how much the (old versus new) 12V outlets can supply ... the new ones have a "no cigarette lighter" icon, which implies low amperage.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I need to send in an email for clarification on how much the (old versus new) 12V outlets can supply ... the new ones have a "no cigarette lighter" icon, which implies low amperage.
Not really, the cigarette lighter outlets are built differently. ETI wires all their 12v outlets with the same wiring which can normally handle what ever you plug in. they are fuse protected also.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Most of these devices will be charged within 2-3 hours, so a single 12v outlet or maybe 2 should handle your needs, except for having to unplug and plug another in occasionally.
True. It's interesting how little things affect everything, though. We don't plug in the devices when the kids are still up because there never seem to be a good spot to plug in a whole bunch of cables without tripping hazard. By the time we are ready to plug in the devices we are also ready to go to bed. And once in bed I just didn't bother to get up and unplug.

We actually wanting to put a charger in the overhead cabinet but was told that we can only put in 12V drop, but not outlet.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't know if he is still doing it, but I had Reace put a 12V outlet in the face of the right side of the furthest front driver's side cabinet. I use it to power my cell phone amplifier & MiFi which sit in the cabinet (through a 3 way splitter). Well out of the way.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
For those of you who aren't fascinated by reading threads about swiveling tilting solar panels this is my solution to my need for the ability to charge several of my USB devices at the same time. The other thread has more details.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-01-2015 3-19-28 PM3.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote