Very customized 19ft trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #1

Very customized 19ft trailer

We are on our way to pick up our new 19ft Escape. Tammy and Reace were very patient with us and spent a lot of time helping us decide what to get. They really went out of their way to customize this trailer for us and we are very appreciative of their knowledge and effort.

These are the things we requested for our trailer:

-------------------------------------------------------------

1) A Polar Cub 9201 (Coleman-Mach Series 9000) air conditioner. It has a slightly lower power consumption than the standard. We wanted to use it off the grid with our little Honda 2000 generator, and this one is rated to work fine with that. It was not an item they regularly carried, and we appreciated them finding a way to acquire it.

-------------------------------------
Notes on Polar Cub:
-------------------------------------

COLEMAN-MACH QUALITY
HIGH PERFORMANCE, LOW PROFILE
POLAR MACH RV AIR CONDITIONER
The revolutionary low profile air conditioner series that utilizes the latest
air conditioning technology. Environmental chamber testing has documented the Polar Series offers the best cooling capacity versus power
consumption performance ever supplied to the RV industry. Aerodynamically styled air conditioner shrouds include weather resistant condenser
coil protection. Heat transfer to the vehicle exterior has been dramatically
accelerated by the vertically mounted motor and 17" oversized fan blade.
More Cooling—Less Power! The quiet horizontal rotary compressor is
the heart of the 9000’s refrigeration system. Refrigeration circuit tubing
has been ri?ed and cross-hatched internally to create turbulence in the
refrigerant, improving the system’s ability to dissipate heat. Electrical
compressor starting components are standard equipment. At 1/3 hp, the
motor is the most powerful in the RV industry and features a fan canopy
to protect against damage from the elements. High-density polyethylene
condensate water collection pan prevents corrosion problems. Durable
molded polycarbonate fan guard has been impact tested to 40° below
zero for reliability.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2) We are getting SOLAR panels but not on the roof. We can put them
anywhere in the sun this way.

3) We considered getting an all electric high-efficiency refrigerator, and Rease was kind
enough to spend some time researching what was available. Since he could
only get one that was 3.8 cubic feet, we decided to stay with the standard
5.0 cubic foot two-way fridge instead.

4) We preferred the lighter colored formica counter/table top color from previous
Escape models, and they changed it out easily. (We were going to change the
color of the fabric on the foam pads but we did not get around to purchasing
any, sad to say.)

5) Flip up counter extension over the bed (little flip-up table for bed area)

6) Cable wiring added

7) Two 12 V outlets - one in dinette area and one in bed area for high definition
12V TV with DVD we purchased

8.) Wall mount TV arm for the aforementioned 12V TV

9) Two shelves added to wardrobe closet

10) Additional vertical LED brake lights in rear

11) Two way hot water tank so we can heat water using AC power when plugged into shore power

12) Ok, we admit it. We are audiophiles, so when we saw the specifications on the standard RV
stereos we were very dismayed. (Maybe even appalled. 8) I don't remember the exact
figure, but the signal to noise ratio was in the 70's! (my, oh my.) Since you probably know
already that this is an exponential measure, you know that this is rather bad. (Note that this
is the standard for RV stereos purchased through RV suppliers. Not particular to Escape trailers.)

We got an AM/FM receiver/cd player with bluetooth, usb, etc. with separate speakers. Should
be able to run the TV through it.

So we sent the stereo we ordered online to Rease and they put it in for us. Speakers were a bit larger
in diameter than theirs, but he said he'd work it out. (Thanks, Rease!)

13) Stainless steel sink and chrome faucet

14) Three-burner stove

15) Additional light at front of trailer over storage box

16) Cabinet door at end of bench hinged on left side

17) Storage Box (front of trailer)

18) LED Interior Light Package
(We went with the whiter colored lights which are even more efficient than the warmer colored ones, apparently. Very, very low draw.)

19) Exterior shower

20) Extra Insulation & Thermal Windows

21) Trailer Sprayed with closed cell foam on the bottom with 12V heat Pads with interior on/off switch
We actually wanted the trailer to be insulated on the bottom, too. We wanted to not worry about
being in cold weather and having pipes/water tanks freeze or burst. This will pretty much take care of that, presumably.

22) Removable Power Cord (this way rv power cord does not go inside trailer for storage - we can store it wherever we want.)

23) Additional Reading light on Passenger side of trailer over bed

24) Exterior 110V Outlet (included on the 19ft)

25) Dual 6V Batteries

26) Bike Rack Ready

27) Additional window over sink

28) Dual propane (standard with 19ft)

We considered the oven but just bought a really nice light, portable one instead (Camp Chef). Theirs looked nice, but we were worried about extra weight and thought maybe some shorter trips it would not be used.

I am very serious about cooking, so I bought a really, really nice stovetop for outside, too, since we will cook outside if weather is permitting.

-------------------
Coleman Stove info:
-------------------

• Maximum durability in this suitcase style, extruded aluminum and stainless steel case• Corners are reinforced heavy duty ABS plastic• 30,000 BTU in two independently controlled stainless steel Cloverleaf™ Band-A-Blue™ burners• PerfectHeat™ technology for efficient performance• Heavy duty porcelain steel removable cooking grate• Removable aluminized steel cook top for easy clean up• Propane operated, runs on 16.4 oz propane cylinder or bulk 20 pound tank• Bulk tank adaptor and hose included• Lid inserts include antimicrobial cutting board and a hard anodized cast aluminum griddle• Lid includes unique, customizable storage compartments• These include hard anodized sink/basin, doubles as fry pan and or food cover• Also includes sectioned compartments for miscellaneous storage• Snap on utensil hooks• Dimensions: 25.72?L X 15.84?W X 8.12?H

We also bought a couple of 600W inverters and a bunch of other cool stuff for the trailer. We are newbies and are looking forward to camping for the first time.

It will be an adventure!

kalyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #2

Re: Very customized 19ft trailer

Your trailers list looks like our trailer. We did order the stove/oven for our trailer. We do have a remote propane valve near the step. Our Camp Chief Oven did not light in wind so we used the oven inside. The front box is very handy for putting all the trailer stuff.
Good luck and hope you enjoy your Escape.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Great List. Thanks for posting it. It's always interesting to know what can be ordered and what is available.

Please post pictures also, when you get a chance.

For Newbies, it sounds like you have everything covered.

Best Regards,
TurtleBax
TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #4

Thanks Hippo and TurtleBax -- we wanted to let others know what we got because we learned a lot from this forum about what was available and we wanted to share what we learned for ourselves.

We are excited to pick it up in a few days! We will posts pics after that.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Kaylson,
Hi our 19er is on order and we have tentatively ordered the stereo. Could you be more specific on the brand/model stereo you ended up using?
Thanks,
Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #6

Thanks for your insights. Yes please, post the Brand and Model number of the system you ordered.

Dave

(p.s.: It will have to go on my wish list...I'm saving up for a new camera.)
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

Hi Kalyson,

What is the Name/Type of your new Coleman Stove? I didn't find it in the description.

Thanks a bunch.
TurtleBax
Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBax
Hi Kalyson,

What is the Name/Type of your new Coleman Stove? I didn't find it in the description.

Thanks a bunch.
TurtleBax
Hi, Turtlebax,

It was a Rendezvous .... It is on sale now for only about 250.00 at the Coleman web site. Much lower than most places that have it for sale.

http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/Ms...=rendezvous%20

-Kalyson
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss
Kaylson,
Hi our 19er is on order and we have tentatively ordered the stereo. Could you be more specific on the brand/model stereo you ended up using?
Thanks,
Steve
Sure -- the speakers were:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086030...cs.html?tp=106

The receiver was:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KDA8...ssi=0&tp=27783

I also got this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KSU5...7.html?tp=1672

Sad to say, the receiver is no longer available. However, they surely have something
equivalent. Call them and talk to them -- they will help you out. They are very
nice and quite knowledgeable.

--K
Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #10

Hi K,

I'm going to check out the stove link you posted.
The Jury is still out on the overn. Just not sure how much It will be used.

Thank you & Best Regards,
TurtleBax
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyson
We are on our way to pick up our new 19ft Escape. ..

21) Trailer Sprayed with closed cell foam on the bottom with 12V heat Pads with interior on/off switch
We actually wanted the trailer to be insulated on the bottom, too. We wanted to not worry about
being in cold weather and having pipes/water tanks freeze or burst. This will pretty much take care of that, presumably.

It will be an adventure!

I believe that you may be the first people on this forum to have ordered this option.

Please have a Merry Christmas camping with your new Escape and please report on the effectiveness of this option for winter camping.
Apparently the option can be added "after the fact", and I know that there are a number of us interested in hearing from you this winter.

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanngord
Quote:
It will be an adventure!
I believe that you may be the first people on this forum to have ordered this option.
Please have a Merry Christmas camping with your new Escape and please report on the effectiveness of this option for winter camping.
Apparently the option can be added "after the fact", and I know that there are a number of us interested in hearing from you this winter.
G
For sure!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #13

Yes, we will post about it. It did add a bit of weight to the trailer -- but it is so cool! I should post some pics. It is very dense, and Rease made sure they did not overspray.
They spend around 3 hours doing the checks to make sure they got it right (they subcontract out the spray foam and 12v pad part). So we can see the underside is covered, but only where it is supposed to be.

It is insulating the trailer even when we run the AC. We got the extra insulation, so now we are insulated from ALL sides, including the bottom.

This trailer is holding the cold very, very well. Also, the sound is totally insulated. Our little dog barks like mad when we leave but NO ONE can hear it because the insulation on this thing is so incredible. When sitting inside the trailer, you can't hear noises from outside, either.

Aside from the benefit you get from the water tanks and pipes in the cold, I think there are the other benefits of sound insulation and keeping the AC in, too.

Love it.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #14

HI Kalyson,

Yes, please do post your findings. Do you know how much weight this added to the trailer? Waiting for Pictures.
Quote:
Yes, we will post about it. It did add a bit of weight to the trailer -- but it is so cool! I should post some pics.

Best Regards,
TurtleBax
Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanngord
Quote:

It will be an adventure!

G
No - Rease says at least one other trailer had it before us. We are the first with this custom-ordered Polar Cub AC, though.
Rease and Scott were listening to the AC and were very impressed with it -- much quieter than theirs. Cools GREAT too!
Only downside is that it is a little bit taller than theirs, but not by much.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

We also had requested insulation on the underside of our 17B but Escape didn't have any data yet to determine if it was a worthwhile add-on. Living in B.C. we are fortunate not to suffer any extremes of cold or heat so it's not really a necessity here. In additional, the additional weight it would have added was unknown and since we don't want plan to buy a new tow, decided to remove the option from our build.

I'm supplying my own moldings and sheet flooring which is a little heavier than the vinyl that Escape uses. I've also requested re-enforcement of some of the cabinetry walls to mount future accessories more securely - not sure how much weight that will add but it will add a bit. I'm trying to keep the overall weight in mind as I do my "customizations".

On another note, I toured some "big" travel trailers (5th wheel) when I was looking at accessories at my local RV store. You can buy one the size of a fully furnished apartment for $60,000 and up, fully loaded. They were HUGE - reminded me of a 747. Just thinking of the fuel bill alone - it would probably be similar to fueling a jet! There's also no way you could fit some of these in an RV park or boon docking - I think even the height clearances on some roadways would be an issue! They may have had every convenience you could think of but they were missing the most important factor - that comfortable coziness we associate with "home". Can't wait for our egg to hatch!

LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #17

Quote:

No - Rease says at least one other trailer had it before us.
I don't know if the other people who have had this option added are active on this forum - if they are, they are very silent about it 'cuz they don't want to be asked a million questions about it.

I saw one of the first trailers done with the insulated underside: it was very interesting. As Escape approaches 4 season capability, it will compete with Bigfeet and ArcticDogs for the perfect year-round RV. Even Sasquatches and Arcticwhatever knows that [b]size does matter[b], and Escape has them all beat on that one.
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #18

Some folks aren't comfortable without ALL the comforts of home, some wouldn't think of camping in anything but a tent, and some folks want a water- and bear-proof place to sleep at night while they hang out in the great outdoors. I gotta guess Escapees fall in the latter category.

Dave
Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Garand... For my money...I'll just "Grin and Bear it"
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #20

I only fear the "bare it" part Alf. Please restrain yourself...you'll scare the wildlife.

Dave