Victron BMV 700 Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Victron BMV 700 Question

I'm sold on this battery monitor and have watched several YouTube videos on its installation. The one question I have is: is there a new battery cable supplied to run from the negative terminal of the battery to the battery side of the shunt (since the existing negative battery cable is relocated to the load side of the shunt)?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I'm sold on this battery monitor and have watched several YouTube videos on its installation. The one question I have is: is there a new battery cable supplied to run from the negative terminal of the battery to the battery side of the shunt (since the existing negative battery cable is relocated to the load side of the shunt)?
Rich you receive everything to install except another longer negative cable . Just went down to auto parts store and purchased what I needed . I think ours is 18 in or 20 in . If you need a longer one then it will have to be made . We have the 19 so the batteries are in the front box . Very easy installation and you can get lots of help for instalation if needed. Really nice looking . Really valuable when you are Boondocking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Rich you receive everything to install except another longer negative cable . Just went down to auto parts store and purchased what I needed . I think ours is 18 in or 20 in . If you need a longer one then it will have to be made . We have the 19 so the batteries are in the front box . Very easy installation and you can get lots of help for instalation if needed. Really nice looking . Really valuable when you are Boondocking . Pat
Thanks, Pat! Once again, you're a wealth of information. Really appreciate it.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks, Pat! Once again, you're a wealth of information. Really appreciate it.
Thanks Rich but I get lots of help too! There is a picture of the install in my albums . Pat
Old 07-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
I need to decide on which battery monitor to buy. I want to monitor my battery usage to determine the size of solar panel system to install.

From what I have read, most people are either buying the Victron BMV 700 or the Trimetric TM2030-A. What sold you on the Victron?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I need to decide on which battery monitor to buy. I want to monitor my battery usage to determine the size of solar panel system to install.

From what I have read, most people are either buying the Victron BMV 700 or the Trimetric TM2030-A. What sold you on the Victron?
Price and clarity of instructions for installation. Pat's similar comments caused me took into it more. These products all do the same thing. What concerns me is will I be able to make it work.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Rich but I get lots of help too! There is a picture of the install in my albums . Pat
We ALL get lots of help, Pat. This time, I got it from you. Next mod, I'll get it from someone else (and be equally appreciative). I've said it many times here - my decisioun to buy an Escape was in great part due to the value of this Forum in helping me understand and enjoy my RV.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Price and clarity of instructions for installation. Pat's similar comments caused me took into it more. These products all do the same thing. What concerns me is will I be able to make it work.
Rich if I could do it , you can too. Am solar is now also using the Victron product. I wasn't crazy with the looks of the Trimetic . My brother had installed one so I got to see it first hand . The marine company that sent it to me from Amazon , believe me I called not for the installation , that was easy even with pictures . There is a little programming that they gave me help with . When it comes to electric and anything to do with that I need guidence . What surprised was how simple the install was and everything included except for the other negative cable you will need . Any help I can give you I will be glad to help . Did you watch Casey Friday's install on u-tube ? He talks a little fast and I did watch it numerous times . Talking to installers for programming really helped . You probably will have very little trouble . Pat
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
We ALL get lots of help, Pat. This time, I got it from you. Next mod, I'll get it from someone else (and be equally appreciative). I've said it many times here - my decisioun to buy an Escape was in great part due to the value of this Forum in helping me understand and enjoy my RV.
So right on that Rich and we all pay it forward . Pat
Old 07-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Rich if I could do it , you can too. Am solar is now also using the Victron product. I wasn't crazy with the looks of the Trimetic . My brother had installed one so I got to see it first hand . The marine company that sent it to me from Amazon , believe me I called not for the installation , that was easy even with pictures . There is a little programming that they gave me help with . When it comes to electric and anything to do with that I need guidence . What surprised was how simple the install was and everything included except for the other negative cable you will need . Any help I can give you I will be glad to help . Did you watch Casey Friday's install on u-tube ? He talks a little fast and I did watch it numerous times . Talking to installers for programming really helped . You probably will have very little trouble . Pat
Casey's video was the first one I saw - I could give Hime a run for his money in talking fast - I'm from the east (Maryland).
Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Casey's video was the first one I saw - I could give Hime a run for his money in talking fast - I'm from the east (Maryland).
That's the first I saw of the Victron too. I used the plate they give you , that Casey didn't . I want to get the I think it is called dongle . You can look at your batteries say on your I-pad or if you have a smart phone etc. been spending a bit and have to cool it a little for awhile . Pat
Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Mounting Battery monitor

We are picking up a new 21. I was thinking of mounting the battery monitor over the refrigerator or microwave. Does anyone know if these spaces may be accessed by removing the built in microwave?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I installed a BMV 700 in our 21 and enjoy being able to more closely monitor the battery using the Bluetooth connection. I have a question about settings. We have the dual 6V batteries and solar panel. I changed the total amp hours setting to 232 but haven't changed any other settings yet. The default charged voltage was set to 13.2. Is that a good number? Anybody have any insight into this?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I think I found the answer to my question. Everything I read says to set the charged voltage setting to .2 volts less than float charge. The GoPower solar charger in my 21 has a float charge of 13.7 volts per the manual so I set the charged voltage on the BMV-700 to 13.5 volts.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote