Wall reinforcement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Wall reinforcement

In the dinette are the walls next to refrigerator and stove strong enough to lean against without being reinforced? I would hate for one of those to crack. Thanks for any info.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, they have supports behind the paneling.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
In the dinette are the walls next to refrigerator and stove strong enough to lean against without being reinforced? I would hate for one of those to crack. Thanks for any info.
Yes but those 2 walls are also ones that people choose to reinforce often to hang shelf extentions and the like on. We did on but of our trailers.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The walls are plenty solid. I never got any reinforcing in any walls in my 19, not am I in my 5.0. They are plenty strong to mount stuff on, including a TV.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Tammy told me that they reinforce the walls in the closet if shelfs are added or in a wall if a shelf extention is to be placed on it. Maybe things have changed but I don't want to be limited to where the studs are located on certain walls.The weight gain is minimal but the cost to have it done has gone up.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Can I put in shelving in a 5.0 TA closet without reinforcing the wall? Which would be the best wall to get reinforcement in if I were to spend the money?
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
We had walls 1, 2 and 4 reinforced, to one day mount a TV.....had no idea where(and still don't after 6 months) on our 2016 21, but just covered our bases.

We didn't have wall 6, interior shower, reinforced, and maybe I'm overly cautious, but when leaning on it to wash my feet while standing up(and I'm a big guy(230 lbs)) it gave more than then I was comfortable with.

Wall 6, even without reinforcing, I'd feel comfortable sitting and leaning against.

I think it was my standing/middle of the wall, shoulder only pressure, that compressed/moved the interior fiberglass.

In hindsight, I would've bit the bullet on the 50 lbs of additional weight to the trailer and had that wall 6 reinforced too. But, again, that's(big) me.
Attached Thumbnails
21' Escape, Standard Locations with Wall Reinforcement..jpg  
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
Can I put in shelving in a 5.0 TA closet without reinforcing the wall? Which would be the best wall to get reinforcement in if I were to spend the money?
I don't get it. If ETI says the walls need reinforcement for shelves, why wouldn't you just follow their advice?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The walls are plenty solid. I never got any reinforcing in any walls in my 19, not am I in my 5.0. They are plenty strong to mount stuff on, including a TV.
You best expand on this, Jim.
I wouldn't recommend attaching a TV mount or shelves by screwing into 5mm ( 1/8" ) luan plywood and I don't think you do either. There is framing that can be utilized, but you need to know where and how.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
A TV has to be mounted on the aisle edge of a wall. That is what they told us when we were there as the wall we intended for the TV arm is not reinforced. (Our arm was to be mounted at the dinette which is not where it usually goes on a 21'.) We did not have it mounted because they said that we needed a TV with us to see the clearance.

We had the bath wall reinforced. Guess I might be worried about having the TV over the bed using that wall.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #11

Working inside your Escape is no different than than working in your home. If you have the capability to hang heavy items in your home, with or without hitting the studs then you will have no issues in your Escape. Hanging a tv in hollow sheetrock is not wise, nor is is it in thin plywood. There are studs behind the walls and yes you can add shelves without extra plywood if you can find the studs and utilize them in the walls. Making all the walls solid is not the smart thing to do just as installing solid wood walls in your home is not, particularly when weight is always an issue in your trailer.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Terry as 5.0TA owners, we're fortunate. We get both a large pantry AND a closet. The pantry has shelves. Do you really want to put shelves in the closet too?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You best expand on this, Jim.
I wouldn't recommend attaching a TV mount or shelves by screwing into 5mm ( 1/8" ) luan plywood and I don't think you do either. There is framing that can be utilized, but you need to know where and how.
As per Reace's advice, I would just attach the mount to the corner framing. This is what Escape does. Talking to Reace, this whole reinforcing thing is getting out of hand, where they did it once upon request, and since there have been a lot of customers scared into not doing it..... just in case. There is reason to do it in some circumstances, but like I did in my 19, I just found a way to use the existing wall framing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Terry as 5.0TA owners, we're fortunate. We get both a large pantry AND a closet. The pantry has shelves. Do you really want to put shelves in the closet too?
We are ones that would never give up hanging space. I mostly wear collared shirts, and sure they can be folded and stuffed a stacked on a shelft, but I much prefer hanging them for keeping them less wrinkly (not that that really is a big deal camping), better organized, and for us a better use of space. Our closet hanging space is usually full, so there is no wasted space, and we still have lots of storage on on the bottom. Works great for us, even in the 19. LOTS of other space for food.

One thing we find, as I am sure others do too, is that other than staples and a couple backup food items, most of our food supplies are planned for 3 days max, unless we know we will be away from a store for longer time. A box in the back of the truck works as an extended pantry if needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:
I wanted a closet for hanging clothes and my hubby wanted shelves. We decided to put a tall cabinet with shelves across from the closet, instead of the small counter top and small cabinet. ETI put the shelves in and spaced them by the measurements we gave them. We wanted the bottom space to be tall enough for our coffeemaker, toaster, and crock pot. We think that's the best modification we made, along with leaving out the bathroom sink.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As per Reace's advice, I would just attach the mount to the corner framing. This is what Escape does. Talking to Reace, this whole reinforcing thing is getting out of hand, where they did it once upon request, and since there have been a lot of customers scared into not doing it..... just in case. There is reason to do it in some circumstances, but like I did in my 19, I just found a way to use the existing wall framing.
Has any asked for a Kevlar reinforced shell and bulletproof windows yet?! Escape designs these trailers very well and it is unlikely one would need reinforced walls unless they knew they wanted to do something specific. Based on Bill_75's data all the walls being reinforced in a 21 results in 175 lbs of additional weight! That's not insignificant. Let's remember these are supposed to be "lightweight" trailers. For perspective a rooftop AC is about 100 lbs.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetz View Post
I wanted a closet for hanging clothes and my hubby wanted shelves. We decided to put a tall cabinet with shelves across from the closet, instead of the small counter top and small cabinet. ETI put the shelves in and spaced them by the measurements we gave them. We wanted the bottom space to be tall enough for our coffeemaker, toaster, and crock pot. We think that's the best modification we made, along with leaving out the bathroom sink.
Heavy items should be stored in the lower compartments of your Escape, not in upper cabinets. I try to keep all heavy items below the kitchen counter top as a rule, judicious loading will result in a better towing experience.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Has any asked for a Kevlar reinforced shell and bulletproof windows yet?! Escape designs these trailers very well and it is unlikely one would need reinforced walls unless they knew they wanted to do something specific. Based on Bill_75's data all the walls being reinforced in a 21 results in 175 lbs of additional weight! That's not insignificant. Let's remember these are supposed to be "lightweight" trailers. For perspective a rooftop AC is about 100 lbs.
That is more than 5% of the Escape weight from the factory, plus the items that will be mounted plus the items that will be stored on those mounted items....
Old 01-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Heavy items should be stored in the lower compartments of your Escape, not in upper cabinets. I try to keep all heavy items below the kitchen counter top as a rule, judicious loading will result in a better towing experience.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Based on Bill_75's data all the walls being reinforced in a 21 results in 175 lbs of additional weight! That's not insignificant. Let's remember these are supposed to be "lightweight" trailers. For perspective a rooftop AC is about 100 lbs.
All those extra pounds..., I wish I could shed them that easily just by deleting them
Old 01-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
We had walls 1,2,4, and 6 reinforced. Since 5 has a folding extension, it is reinforced as well. I don't plan on shelves in the closet so 3 wasn't reinforced.

What do y'all think of mounting the TV on the end of the bath wall? I could swing it around to watch TV from the bed and that location would be a straight shot to the dining table.

(confusion on where to mount the TV is why all the reinforcements)
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote