Want Opinions on Battery Monitors with SOH - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #41

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Here is an interesting thing. When I pull up the battery history it shows 27 cycles and 1 full discharge. The full discharge was last July when I checked the capacity of the battery. It is rated 170Ah. Although the history only shows 27 cycles, the batteries have been operating for many more cycles than that.

Except for the last few days I have not been on shore power since some time in December. The batteries have been in constant use and during the past few months they have been taking some pretty big hits from the air conditioner and electric teakettle. Charging has been from solar only.

Obviously there have been more than 27 cycles, some down to 20% SOC yet the Victron SmartShunt says 27 cycles. It looks to me that it somehow converts all the partial cycles to full cycle equivalents?

It doesn't really matter to me but is kinda interesting. I guess I can compare the cycles the shunt logs against the number of cycles the battery manufacturer claims and maybe know about how much life is left.
Yes, the Thornwood does something similar. Much to learn about what it calls a cycle and a full discharge.

To your point, our trailer sits a lot more than it gets used so has many small daily cycles. I want to believe these daily small discharge/recharge cycles are insignificant WRT degradation but I admit my ignorance.

I suspect the spec'd battery cycle life assumes "full" discharge cycles and real life is too complicated for mere mortals... lots of assumptions and calculus for sure. Basically, how many mini-cycles is equivalent to one full cycle? And the answer will clearly be different for every battery chemistry.... probably even for every unique battery construction.

I also guess an empirical estimate of charge behavior (ie delta AH/delta V) over time is how the SOH algorithms might work.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Thank you! I am not jumping on this but will read the controller book before I do.
We put the roof and portable controllers on the distributers with the panels, so the controllers can always see the batteries first.

Batteries are "on" first, then flip the breaker "on" for the roof panels and plug in the portables. Do the reverse when shutting down the batteries. While on shore power or in storage, Li batts don't need or particularly like being at 100% SOC on shore power for extended periods.

Also, roof panel breaker keeps us off the roof, covering panels, if any work needs to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
20220303_072409.jpg   Screenshot_20220402-154034_Gallery.jpg  
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:25 PM   #43

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Thanks Jack!

This is a breaker I noted but I don't recall who recommended. Is this similar to what you installed?

So there's no issue leaving the roof panels "open"?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-04-02 212013.jpg  
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:41 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Thanks Jack!

This is a breaker I noted but I don't recall who recommended. Is this similar to what you installed?

So there's no issue leaving the roof panels "open"?
Yep....looks very similar to what we used. No issues in the off position.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote