Want to install shelf in bathroom of 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Want to install shelf in bathroom of 5.0TA

What are the screws fastened to that hold the top half of the shower to the lower half? The wall has a little give to it, so it seems that the top half might only be screwed into the bottom half with nothing behind it.

I'm asking this because I would like to support a 4" wide shelf along the long wall from the sink to the back wall and have it fastened in the middle and the back end with some small "L" brackets.

The shelf would only be used as a third hand to hold temporary lightweight items while using the facilities.

Rick
lzcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had my bath wall reinforced during the build just for that purpose. Perhaps you can find support behind the shell easily?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
All you need is a tape-on shelf. Might check my website or email me some dimensions. Here's one used for a bedside holder.

RV Widget Works
Attached Thumbnails
drivers1.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recently bought the 3M version for the bath. I haven't gotten around to installing it. I'm happy with all the other 3M products I've got.
Attached Thumbnails
Command.jpg  
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, Charlie's shelves are lightweight, I forgot that option is always available..as well as the command products.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. We have some of the suction cup devices like baskets and hooks, but during our short experience with the trailer, they keep falling off. That's why I'm looking for a more permanent shelf installation.

My trailer is a 2011 5.0 SA, not a 5.0 TA. I don't know if the structure and dimensions of the bathrooms are different in the SA and TA although that might not make a difference when installing gadgets on the walls.

Is the bathroom made of fiberglass or some type of plastic?

Rick
Old 09-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The 3M Command products are not suction devices. They use special double sided tape that can be removed without damage, if you follow the instructions. I have had 3M Command hooks installed in my trailer for years, which is why I bought the 3M Command basket for the bath.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The 3M Command products are not suction devices. They use special double sided tape that can be removed without damage, if you follow the instructions. I have had 3M Command hooks installed in my trailer for years, which is why I bought the 3M Command basket for the bath.
Note the enviromental specs on the 3M product info, however. Their adhesive "may" fail above 104F, which happens frquently in a closed trailer in the southern and western portions of the USA.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Note the enviromental specs on the 3M product info, however. Their adhesive "may" fail above 104F, which happens frquently in a closed trailer in the southern and western portions of the USA.
I can vouch for that. I installed some hooks on overhead cabinets in my van (which is not as well insulated as a trailer) and the adhesive "melted" and the hooks with towels hanging on them fell off. I'm going to hang my max/min thermometer in the trailer when it's in the storage yard (no shade) to check the temperatures.

Rick
Old 09-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzcamper View Post
I can vouch for that. I installed some hooks on overhead cabinets in my van (which is not as well insulated as a trailer) and the adhesive "melted" and the hooks with towels hanging on them fell off. I'm going to hang my max/min thermometer in the trailer when it's in the storage yard (no shade) to check the temperatures.

Rick
The marketing advantage for the 3M Command product line is that you can usually remove the adhered item by pulling on the adhesive strip. If you actually want to permanently install one of their molded products just replace the Command adhesive strip with a real VHB strip of adhesive. I use 3M RP45 for most of my products, rated interior and exterior to 200F.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzcamper View Post
Is the bathroom made of fiberglass or some type of plastic?
I'm probably the only one who was crazy enough to put two large holes in a bathroom shell....one for a window retrofit and one for a medicine cabinet. The shell is made from a VERY thin fiberglass. There is really no framing along the exterior wall except for maybe something really thin along the belly band area. Attached shows the bath area of a 5.0TA. There is a thick band of fiberglass where the top and bottom shells come together. Maybe you could attach something carefully along there? I would ask ETI about your specific model/year.
Attached Thumbnails
shower cut out for window (on left).jpg   cut out for medicine cabinet.JPG   5.0TA.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote