Wanted: someone to do extensive mods - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Wanted: someone to do extensive mods

Hello all,

My 5.0 is due to be completed mid-Sept - mid-Oct. I'm wanting someone to do some pretty extensive mods as y'all here keep giving me great ideas. I'm located near Pittsburgh, & am hoping to find someone within a 3 hour radius (would include Columbus, Cleveland, Erie, & Harrisburg along with much of W VA & MD, & a bit of VA). Ideally, one person/shop would do it all: carpentry, electrical, plumbing - a bit of everything. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Depending on what you want it doesn’t have to be an RV specific business. Also, you might want to use it some first and make notes so you know how you use it.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Depending on what you want it doesn’t have to be an RV specific business. Also, you might want to use it some first and make notes so you know how you use it.
excellent advice. I see a number of mods folks have done and while I really like them at first blush, I realize the way I use my trailer, the mod(s) isn't needed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would be glad to help, I have most of the tools and I am retired. I'm not too far from you either.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Ideally, one person/shop would do it all: carpentry, electrical, plumbing - a bit of everything. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
Having seen some of your modification goals in our off-forum exchanges (quite extensive custom cabinetry) .... you might shop among tradespeople in the marine sailing craft custom restoration / repair arena. They're used to light-weight but robust construction in the other-than-square 'mobile' context, 12VDC systems, etc (quite similar to the situations in our Escape trailers).

Similarly, folks working in the arena of custom restorations / repurposing of classic RV's.

Both of the above are small-niche markets, few-and-far-between, and justifiably expensive for the rather unique services they can deliver.

IMO Jim Bennett's Cabinetry Work In My 5.0TA, though different in detail, is the sole example on this forum of completed work approaching the overall scope of work and crafts involved with your project (as I last saw it) and meeting your likely expectations in terms of quality of the end result.

Personally, I've never encountered a shop in the primary business of day-to-day contemporary RV maintenance and repair with the capabilities I think you seek / need to meet your expectations.

Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2022, 11:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
indeed, a good marine repair guy is awesome, but $$$$$$.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
excellent advice. I see a number of mods folks have done and while I really like them at first blush, I realize the way I use my trailer, the mod(s) isn't needed.
Thanks so much for these thoughts. I've already scaled back my original wish list with this in mind. With this input, I'll revisit that list to be 100% sure of what I want in my first round of gotta-have mods, & leave any that are questionable until a later round.

- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2022, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
indeed, a good marine repair guy is awesome, but $$$$$$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Having seen some of your modification goals in our off-forum exchanges (quite extensive custom cabinetry) .... you might shop among tradespeople in the marine sailing craft custom restoration / repair arena. They're used to light-weight but robust construction in the other-than-square 'mobile' context, 12VDC systems, etc (quite similar to the situations in our Escape trailers).

Similarly, folks working in the arena of custom restorations / repurposing of classic RV's.

Both of the above are small-niche markets, few-and-far-between, and justifiably expensive for the rather unique services they can deliver.

IMO Jim Bennett's Cabinetry Work In My 5.0TA, though different in detail, is the sole example on this forum of completed work approaching the overall scope of work and crafts involved with your project (as I last saw it) and meeting your likely expectations in terms of quality of the end result.

Personally, I've never encountered a shop in the primary business of day-to-day contemporary RV maintenance and repair with the capabilities I think you seek / need to meet your expectations.

Good Luck!
Thank you both for these thoughts. There's a place in Ohio that does custom RV work. After I got my head around their hourly rate, I talked with their rep & sent them a list of my desired mods. They only want to do the interior items. Was hoping for a one-stop shop. Assume that the fiberglass on the exterior scared them away on that piece.

With our rivers, we have a surprising number of boats around here, so I'll look into a marine/boat renovation shop - excellent advice!

- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2022, 07:13 AM   #9

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would be glad to help, I have most of the tools and I am retired. I'm not too far from you either.
Hi Jim,

This is a VERY generous offer. I'll get in touch offline to discuss. As Centex mentioned, there's extensive cabinetry work involved, so you would have to come out of retirement for a while!

- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
You noted extensive cabinetry work so here's my 2 cents.
Ensure that your alterations maintain the structural integrity and weight balance of the trailer. Storage should respect weight distribution. Try to have interior components for electrical, plumbing, etc. accessible after build. Taste is up to owners but I like having the mods look stock as though it was provided by manufacturer. Sometimes even better. If you want to keep it looking stock with finish, try to have ETI provide building materials they use, like moulding, panelling, lights and load in trailer when you pick up.

Be careful with who you get and look at some of their work. Remember this is not a house.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
IMO Jim Bennett's Cabinetry Work In My 5.0TA, though different in detail, is the sole example on this forum of completed work approaching the overall scope of work and crafts involved with your project
Not so: Jim alluded to taking his cue from Chris R:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ions-5335.html

I liked Jim's statement in his cabinet build thread: "I knew I wanted to do a bunch of work to the trailer “Because I can."

Chris R is a cabinet maker and did a previous cabinet build on a 17B as well.
Jim Bennett is also in the trade with a workshop.

They both had the advantage of being able to take their time and do it to their exacting requirements. And they both probably did a bit of do-over or at least changes in design or materials as they went.

I was wanting to do a pair of simple storage cabinets over my van's wheel wells and thought I wanted a framework made of tig welded aluminum. Without a set of plans most didn't want to consider it. The one who did estimated a lot more that I predicted it would cost. So I then went to plan B and did it myself with aluminum angle and some wood together. Works incredibly well at a fraction of the cost and can be modified easily if needed.

Seems to me to do something along the likes of what Chris & JIm did would be in the neighborhood of $20K+ when you figure in someone actually drawing plans first.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Hello all,

My 5.0 is due to be completed mid-Sept - mid-Oct. I'm wanting someone to do some pretty extensive mods as y'all here keep giving me great ideas. I'm located near Pittsburgh, & am hoping to find someone within a 3 hour radius (would include Columbus, Cleveland, Erie, & Harrisburg along with much of W VA & MD, & a bit of VA). Ideally, one person/shop would do it all: carpentry, electrical, plumbing - a bit of everything. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

It should help to get with someone early, to get feed back on what might even be ordered, or not ordered on your built, in the 1st place. Plus buying some of the materials to put IN the the trailer at delivery.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
It should help to get with someone early, to get feed back on what might even be ordered, or not ordered on your built, in the 1st place. Plus buying some of the materials to put IN the the trailer at delivery.
Agree buying extra paneling to be delivered with trailer purchase is the way to go for doing modifications. I purchase 3 sheets for modifications and or accidental damage to the interior
Old 07-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #14
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Although it is about 5 or 6 hours away, if you can't find anyone more local to you, you might try looking for places in Elkhart, IN. Elkhart is supposedly the RV manufacturing capital of the world, and there are a lot of manufacturers there. I don't know of any, but it makes some sense that RV mod places would be there as well.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #15

So appreciate all of the input & thoughtful suggestions.

I did a set of "plans" myself (really sketches) & did order materials from ETI to be delivered with the trailer so that the additional cabinets will match the existing ones.

I've closely read through & studied what Chris R, Jim Bennett, & several others have done. A little too much inspiration!

Though not an engineer, I also considered the weight distribution & think that my additions will be pretty well balanced.

- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Although it is about 5 or 6 hours away, if you can't find anyone more local to you, you might try looking for places in Elkhart, IN. Elkhart is supposedly the RV manufacturing capital of the world, and there are a lot of manufacturers there. I don't know of any, but it makes some sense that RV mod places would be there as well.
Ah, good thought. I can't be the only one wanting to hire out mods. Thanks for the suggestion!

- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2022, 05:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
I did a set of "plans" myself (really sketches) & did order materials from ETI to be delivered with the trailer so that the additional cabinets will match the existing ones.

A good FREE CAD program for designing is Google SketchUp. I ended up designing & drawing up a FULL set of houseplans for my last house. Building inspector accepted them. It takes awhile to learn, as it is very VERY powerful. 3D, spin, go inside, colors, textures, etc.

My 3D of a tiny house (I did using it), I wanted to build.......before I found Escapes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad-2-Top.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	63868
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
A good FREE CAD program for designing is Google SketchUp. I ended up designing & drawing up a FULL set of houseplans for my last house. Building inspector accepted them. It takes awhile to learn, as it is very VERY powerful. 3D, spin, go inside, colors, textures, etc.

My 3D of a tiny house (I did using it), I wanted to build.......before I found Escapes!

Attachment 63868
Yes, it's an amazing program that just about anyone can use. I'm a bit in awe of how these programs have developed. I started on a CAD program called Intergraph on a mainframe long before AutoCAD came along. Even with the early iterations of AutoCAD you had to be pretty dedicated to master it.

On funny memory of the early years is when I first heard of a prediction that one day we'd be able to do a 3D walk through of a house. I was skeptical. Guess I was wrong.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #19

Quote:

Attachment 63868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, it's an amazing program that just about anyone can use. I'm a bit in awe of how these programs have developed. I started on a CAD program called Intergraph on a mainframe long before AutoCAD came along. Even with the early iterations of AutoCAD you had to be pretty dedicated to master it.

On funny memory of the early years is when I first heard of a prediction that one day we'd be able to do a 3D walk through of a house. I was skeptical. Guess I was wrong.

Ron

Wow, looks awesome. Not sure I've got the motivation or mental bandwidth right now to learn that, but will keep it in mind. Was aware that CAD programs had come a long way, but pretty amazing that something so advanced is now free!

- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Lorraine,
I got your list and it is far too complicated as well beyond my simple tools. Sorry...