Wasted Space - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Wasted Space

My wife and I are going to be traveling most of this Summer, so I've been concerned how to maximize storage space in my 19. After doing some electrical work near the distribution panel (located under the fridge) I discovered a lot of empty space. To the left of the panel, where there are currently switches etc, there is a cavity about 7"w x 13"h between the supports. Right of panel is approximately 12x12", where there are a few utility lines that pass through the floor. The space is 12" deep.

My question is... Is it worth trying to turn some of this space into storage? I can gain probably about 2 cubic feet of storage, but with the cost of relocating some switches and building out the cavities and doors. Has anyone done something similar? Is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The space with the switches might be tough to use, without making the wiring hard to work on... and some day you might want to add something electrical. The space under the furnace looks promising; it looks like a good place for a drawer. A drawer can be removed if needed for access. It is in the middle of the trailer, so it's a good location for heavy stuff.

It might be a good idea to confirm that with a drawer or cabinet in place, you have enough airflow to anything that needs it (the converter?).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 19'
The space under the furnace is just waiting to be used! There probably is a black plastic vent pipe going up the right (forward) corner. Pull the cover off the furnace and you should be able to look down the fore and aft sides with a flashlight.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
My question is... Is it worth trying to turn some of this space into storage? I can gain probably about 2 cubic feet of storage, but with the cost of relocating some switches and building out the cavities and doors. Has anyone done something similar? Is it worth it?
Yup, I think so. I opened up that space and it holds a couple of toolboxes and bags. There's more room than shows.

Mark V opened the area up even more and finished the area really nicely.

The door was purchased from ETI.

I also opened up the area behind the under sink area and have another door under the flip up table.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
27-11-2014 2-57-22 PM1_resize.jpg   27-11-2014 4-07-22 PM9_resize.jpg   23-11-2014 3-39-11 PM7_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #5

Wasted Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, I think so. I opened up that space and it holds a couple of toolboxes and bags. There's more room than shows.

Mark V opened the area up even more and finished the area really nicely.

The door was purchased from ETI.

I also opened up the area behind the under sink area and have another door under the flip up table.

Ron

Very nice. I thought about converting that space beneath the sink as well.

I really like the matching oak cabinet doors, but I'm not much of a wood worker and i don't have the equipment. A drop in solution might be to use something like a kayak "cat bag", which would be good for storing dirty laundry, etc. There are also marine hatches that might be a nice fit.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Very nice. I thought about converting that space beneath the sink as well.

but I'm not much of a wood worker and i don't have the equipment.
Yes, the space behind the existing under sink cabinets is considerable, over 4' long on top the the wheel wells.

I do have a full woodwork shop but the work involved to set-up to make a couple of doors isn't worth it to me. Several doors, yes, but for a couple, no. Buying them from ETI was the way to go. They came complete with hardware. Mark bought some, then the price went up but it was still worth it. I like having all the doors match.

Ron
Old 05-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

Is there an online or local source where one can buy the thin oak paneling and trim pieces? Or do I have to buy the wood and oak paper wrap separate?

Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The space with the switches might be tough to use, without making the wiring hard to work on... and some day you might want to add something electrical. The space under the furnace looks promising; it looks like a good place for a drawer. A drawer can be removed if needed for access. It is in the middle of the trailer, so it's a good location for heavy stuff.

It might be a good idea to confirm that with a drawer or cabinet in place, you have enough airflow to anything that needs it (the converter?).

I will also be adding a pilot switch for the HWH electrical conversion kit I purchased. I'm thinking the 120v outlet can go inside the cavity on the left, where I can hook up my cell and wifi equipment. The other stuff, propane alarm and DSI switch, will have to move. So I will have to get creative.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Google "lauan plywood" Austin Texas.
Last I heard ETI got theirs from a firm in Calgary, but they only sell wholesale.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Is there an online or local source where one can buy the thin oak paneling and trim pieces? Or do I have to buy the wood and oak paper wrap separate?

I wouldn't worry about buying anything other than either some oak plywood or oak solid stock for interior projects.

Here's two small projects that use oak with a satin Varethane water based polyurethane coating. I think they're a pretty good match for the ETI finish.

One's a base for the replacement thermostat and the other's an over the door shelf.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-12-2014 4-11-52 PM3_resize.jpg   18-06-2014 10-17-32 AM1_resize.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ron,
Do you have a pic of the under sink side door open that shows the space there?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ron,
Do you have a pic of the under sink side door open that shows the space there?
I do but far more practical photos and use of the space would be shown in the mod MarkV did. He opened up the whole space. My wife didn't want me change the existing cabinet area and my needs were different so the space I created isn't the most practical but it serves my needs.

Perhaps one member with legendary search skills can pull up MarkV's photos.

I needed a storage area for umm, long objects. The space also had to comply with certain transportation rules about the safe transport of such objects. My storage area has a locking steel door and it's concealed by a wood panel held on by magnets. Quick and easy to access but out of sight and not likely to be discovered during a B & E.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
05-12-2014 4-38-55 PM1_resize.jpg   15-05-2015 10-10-47 AM_0001_resize.jpg   15-05-2015 10-14-58 AM_0003_resize.jpg   15-05-2015 10-15-59 AM_0008_resize.jpg  
Old 05-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #13

Kitchen Side Wheel Well Cabinet Completion

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5257

Old 05-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #14

Can You find the Modification

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4772

Very helpful threads. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
I am the current owner of Mark's trailer, if you needed any additional pictures, say the word.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I am the current owner of Mark's trailer, if you needed any additional pictures, say the word.

Thanks. I actually made the cutouts today with a dremel router tool to open the space below the refer and furnace. It got kinda rough on the edges, so I'm pondering how to clean it up. Maybe with some oak trim or U channel moulding?

I will probably be ordering doors from this supplier...

http://www.cabinetdoorworld.com/shaker-doors/
Old 05-21-2016, 01:21 AM   #17

Those prices sure beat ETI's by a long way although ETI's include matching hinges and handles.

I know that often the photo shown isn't actually what the product you get looks like and that natural products have a large variation. But the wood grain shown in their photo for the oak door wouldn't be a great match for the ETI supplied doors. Maybe you could ask them to send you a photo of another door to clarify if it's a better match.

If you can't get an oak trim I'd just use a plastic "U" trim, even if it was something like plain brown.

Ron
Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Google "lauan plywood" Austin Texas.
Last I heard ETI got theirs from a firm in Calgary, but they only sell wholesale.
I too recall this information on an earlier thread and looked into it further; Glenn is correct. However, ETI sold me a few small sheets of the paneling, a length of trim molding for the fridge, several feet of the small rubber molding used to finish the edges of cut paneling for a nominal cost last time I was up their way.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Attending the rally in Osoyoos is a good excuse to have ETI bring you some needed supplies. The factory is not that far away and they will deliver to the rally. I got some extra trim as well as an extra pop up table, installed by Reace himself at the rally.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
What a great idea for those expensive fishing rods.
I see a new mod coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I do but far more practical photos and use of the space would be shown in the mod MarkV did. He opened up the whole space. My wife didn't want me change the existing cabinet area and my needs were different so the space I created isn't the most practical but it serves my needs.

Perhaps one member with legendary search skills can pull up MarkV's photos.

I needed a storage area for umm, long objects. The space also had to comply with certain transportation rules about the safe transport of such objects. My storage area has a locking steel door and it's concealed by a wood panel held on by magnets. Quick and easy to access but out of sight and not likely to be discovered during a B & E.

Ron
grape_escape is offline   Reply With Quote