Water purification - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Water purification

We have had some problems with the water quality coming out of the tank. I have tried rinsing the tank with plain water and also a little bleach and water. I believe that the water quality was fine but the taste was plastic in nature. i purchased and installed a Rainfresh filter system (http://www.rainfresh.ca/drinking_water_system_1.php) yesterday and installed it. i tested the installation and flushed it with a standard water hose. As everyone knows, the taste from this hose is not pleasant. To my surprise, this water taste was as good as R/O water. The single housing filter fits in a dead space under the sink behind the water and drain pipes and the faucet mounted beside the other faucet on the counter. The dual stage system has a replaceable filter but the ceramic filter can be removed and cleaned. The ceramic filter relieves some concerned about the water I have filled the tank with like fast flowing mountain stream though some wells likely have more contaminates. i always use a fine screen filter in a homemade tank filler device made from PVC fittings . There is nothing like good tasting water on the road. i find that even bottled water takes on the plastic taste. We have tried carrying filtered water from home but that takes room and weight and eventually it takes on the plastic taste too.
galand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Re: Water purification

Yes, we have the same problem with our new trailer. The water going in the tank is fine but the water coming out has a plastic and rubber taste and Odor mostly odor. very annoying when trying to drink a cup of tea after a good meal. I flushed it two or three times, still the same. I figure the tank needs time to grow some algae that will line the tank and hoses then the problem will go away.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #3

Years ago a RV repair place told me to clean up a fresh water tank buy a 2ltr bottle of coke pour it into the tank add some water. Take the trailer for a ride. When you return flush out the coke with water, the taste will improve. Use a water filter when filling the water tank to improve the taste.
Chuck.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #4

We filter the water coming in and out of the faucet. Never had problem.. knock on plastic

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

What was the cost of the Rainfresh system - where did you purchase it??

Thanks
Ronliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I clean the tank and lines with bleach when we put Blue away for the winter and again when I get her back out of storage. (Being sure to rinse really well) Then in the spring and summer when we are using Blue more regularly, I use "One Step" peroxide based beer brewing cleaner for rinsing the tank and lines when it is going to sit for any time. Being peroxide based it doesn't need to be rinsed.

We use these Camco 40045 RV TastePURE KDF Water Filter for all water we put into the tank: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

Then for drinking water we have PUR pitcher to further filter it. That makes great tasting coffee, etc. We pour water from the PUR into our stainless steel hiking water bottles and keep those in the fridge for cold drinking water.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote