We installed a refrigerator protection device - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
We installed a refrigerator protection device

I installed an ARP refrigerator protection device https://www.arprv.com/ in our trailer. Most of the install was very easy but I did run into an issue that may be unique to our 2017 19 or may affect others.
When I tried mounting a fan to the lower vent cover I was unable to find a place on it that allowed me to install the cover. The absorber was sticking out just enough to keep me from mounting it. After I started investigating I noticed that the vent cover bulges slightly on mine. I tried another vent cover I have and it does the same thing. So I laid a straight edge along the sides and ours are bowled slightly inwards on both sides.
I found an area towards the bottom that was as close as I could get and marked an outline of the fan on the vent cover and milled out enough area to allow me to mount the fan. The ARP fan is 1 1/4 inch thick so an easier solution would have been to buy a one inch thick fan. But I already have theirs and any fans that were rated at 25CFM was either just as thick or quite expensive.. And I own a mill so why not
This device is designed to shut the heat off if the refrigerator is off level and potentially could overheat and damage itself.
I've attached a few pictures showing the sidewall problem and my install. I need to do some cleaning up inside, it was starting to rain so I hurried it up and went inside. Yes the 120 volt heater is against the absorber, I'll move it in a bit. And a few other things will be fixed too. But it is working and makes us feel safer.
The fan is not a vital part but I wanted to try it to see if it helps with cooling in our summer temperatures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170629_151354.jpg   IMG_20170629_151246.jpg   IMG_20170629_151217.jpg   IMG_20170629_151211.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The fan is not a vital part but I wanted to try it to see if it helps with cooling in our summer temperatures.
Ken, I doubt that the fan will make any difference in cooling, but I do think the ARP is a good idea. As you know, many Dometic and Norcold fridges have been made with defective welds in the boiler. If it ruptures from overheating, and hydrogen gas escapes, it can cause a devastating fire. Many people have lost their RVs and in some cases been injured or killed due to these defects, and thus the class action lawsuits as a result.

If the ARP sensor shuts the system down before it can overheat and potentially rupture, I'd say it's worth every penny.

It'd sure be nice to know which models have been most affected from defective welds in the manufacturing process, but alas, that's info the fridge manufacturers have been fighting tooth and nail to keep from getting released.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Ken, a man after my own heart!

All those wires nice and tidy and wrapped up.

I'm always going around wrapping up cords and such. It doesn't bother Dirk. I also have to label quite a few of 'em so I know which one is for what when there's a bunch going to the power strip.

Oh great, frigs can now kill me. Thanks for that comment.

I thought the frigs in the newer style operated better than in the older style trailers.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

In the manual it warns you that more than 6 degrees fore and aft or 3 degrees side to side can cause cooling issues. What is doesn't tell you is being off side to side can cause the boiler tube to overheat. Which can weaken it causing a rupture. The newer bigger ones have a little device on them designed to fail if the boiler gets to hot. My 5 cubic foot RM2554 does not have any protection from overheating so this made sense to me.

EDIT, not the one that came with the trailer, I have another one that has the leveling info.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Oh great, frigs can now kill me. Thanks for that comment.

I thought the frigs in the newer style operated better than in the older style trailers.
Sorry if it induced any worry Laura. Not my intention. But, there is a risk of a boiler rupture, and a subsequent risk of a fire, if the boiler unit overheats. There are now and have been previously, several lawsuits filed against Norcold, and to a lesser extent Dometic, because of RV fires. The contention of the plaintiffs is that this was caused by faulty welds in the boilers, and by no automatic shutdown system that senses an overheat condition. The ARP is one way to make sure it will shut down if an overheat occurs.

I haven't heard of a single rupture or resulting fire in any of the Dometic Americana fridges or the 8 series fridges that Escape uses, but that is not to say it can't happen.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm confused, you have the Texas fan plus this other fan? Also the unit on the back of the refer is for unlevel situations? So as long as your trailer stays level you should be okay? Is the fan and level unit part of the same kit? Also I notice no caulking along the vent bottom, you never experienced water intrusion?
Old 06-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #7

I replied to you in a PM, Escape says they did the water intrusion fix. I do not have foam along the door like you did I have sealant. I removed every screw, shot caulk in and reinstalled the screw. That seems to have fixed the small about of water I was seeing below. One of the screws was letting water leak in. Did you notice I have a balloon too