Weboost - Mounting Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Weboost - Mounting Questions

I’d like to mount a Weboost Drive X RV on/in our 2018 Escape 19’er.

Reading the instructions and viewing a couple of YouTube videos about the installation, I learned one wants to have maximum separation between the outside (OTR) antenna, and the inside antenna the cell phones communicate thru.

Since the dinette is forward in the trailer and we’d like the indoor antenna at/near the dinette, that means I’d like to mount the external antenna as far back on the trailer as possible, yet in a position such that it doesn’t shadow the rear roof mounted solar panels.

My question is…

Have you had success snaking coax (wire) from the refrigerator roof top exhaust vent (pictured) then obviously between the outside, side of the bathroom module and the trailer’s fiberglass shell and down to the electronics under the front, driver’s side dinette bench? It seems to be a rather convoluted path, potentially with the solar panel and other wires run before the bathroom was installed.

Looking at the inside of the bathroom module (see picture), it does appear that there is space to run wires between the top outer side of the module and the outside fiberglass shell, as the bathroom module’s wall is angled.

Also… Might you know how these side corner panels are mounted (see picture)? Velcro? A screw/bolt behind the button in the middle of the panel. Behind this small panel is an obvious place that Escape has run wires and I’ll probably want to take one of these panels off without damaging it to run a wire.

I’m open to any suggestions. I’d like to permanently mount the Weboost’s OTR antenna so I don’t have another thing to do when we pull into a location for an overnight.

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Frig vent with solar panel wires entering.jpg   Top corner of bathroom module.jpg  
Attached Images

EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hi Greg,

One question: did you happen to configure your trailer for TV when you ordered it? The reason I ask is that the external antenna is connected to the amplifier via a R6 Coax cable. If you have the Coax port somewhere on your shell with the internal lead inside one of your cabinets, that may be an ideal spot for the booster. That in turn may open up different solutions for the internal antenna.

In my case, I knew I wanted the WeBoost system so I had ETI route internal coax cables for everything as part of the build on my 5.0. (Note: my trailer was one of the last one's built under Tammy and Reace's ownership. So this my not be an option now.)

In answer to your question, I have not routed anything behind the shower walls so I don't know how possible that is. But if you have the external antenna mounted on the rear brace for the driver's side solar panel, and the internal antenna mounted on the cabinet above the sink by the door, that would be enough separation. Then you could run the cables in the upper cabinets over the bed around the back, stove and sink.

I would suggest looking into someway to have the mast fold down for travel if mounted to the solar panel. Or get a pole that attaches to the rear bumper and is removed for travel. That is how I do it.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've routed several cables etc. from one end to the other on both my 19 and 21. A bit of wiggle and jiggle process but not a problem.

Pop the cap off the corner piece, undo the screw and you have a path for vertical wiring.

The fridge vent is a very easy path for wiring to go from the roof down to the interior. The easiest way is to remove the 4 screws holding the vent cap on. There is a bug screen, depends if the wire has a larger end piece whether you have to snip a bit of the mesh to drop it through.

At the bottom of the fridge chase, accessible from the exterior hatch, you can drill a hole in the compartment "floor" and drop the wire down into the space below. From there you can either go towards the front or rear.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
-- you can drill a hole in the compartment "floor" and drop the wire down into the space below. From there you can either go towards the front or rear.

Ron
Maybe I just hadn't seen this before, but great info, thanks for posting this Ron
Old 05-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Thank you Arnie & Ron for the great info.

Arnie: We did have Escape route a custom cable for our Victron battery monitor, but didn’t think about a Weboost at the time of our build.

It’s interesting that the TV cable is also RG6 (75 ohm), but I guess that makes sense. Good idea about using the TV cable(s) for the Weboost, but unfortunately, where the TV cables run, and the TV cable terminates in the trailer won’t work. But thank you for the info though.

I’ve considered a removable pole to set up when parked. But would prefer a (semi) permanent attachment. I just want to keep it simple when we park - especially at rest areas, etc.

Ron: Thank you for the info about running wires under the floor and the info on the vertical, side panels. That’s a great help!
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
I’ve considered a removable pole to set up when parked. But would prefer a (semi) permanent attachment.......
Here's my current setup. I use a directional antenna atop a 16 ft telescoping pole. Both which fit nicely in the front storage box. Cable entry is next to coax connector on driver's side front of trailer. Easy to get set up. Aiming the antenna for best reception takes longer than anything else. But like just about everything these days, there's an app that helps with that process.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 23' escape
Can you tell me where you purchased you telescoping pole. Can you take a pic of how you attached you directional attend to the pole. Thanks
Jeff1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1958 View Post
Can you tell me where you purchased you telescoping pole. Can you take a pic of how you attached you directional attend to the pole. Thanks
Got the telescoping pole from Home Depot paint dept.
The directional antenna comes with mounting hardware to mount to a pole.
I'll be going camping again here in a few weeks and will try to remember to take a picture.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
This is how I did it. Escape told me to run it thru air conditioning chase. Then I drilled thru the cabinet at the dinette. Here is my setup.

It was pretty easy.
Attached Thumbnails
We Boost-1.jpg   We Boost-2.jpg   We Boost-3.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The Weboost OTR antenna is the best I've seen thus far and glad I did not permanently mount the previous Trucker Antenna as technology keeps advancing.

Here is another way to install: the amp is under the passenger side dinette and I drilled a hole in the floor for the external antenna wire. As it is not coax the hole is small. Sealed up with Proflex. To mount external antenna I used PVC to attach to the solar panel for the upper rubber Storage Clip for the bottom one I attached to a plastic door shim with a screw then put 3M VHB tape on to attach to trailer. When traveling the antenna stows easily in a 2nd Hose Carrier.
Valterra A04-5094BK EZ Hose Adjustable Hose Carrier - 50" to 94", Black

Bought on Amazon for $44; I see they now want $124! - Price Gouge Alert! Walmart has them though for $44.
Attached Thumbnails
wb1.jpg   wb2.jpg   wb3.jpg  
Old 09-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Power on dinette face; illuminated red light helps to remember to shut off when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
wb4.jpg   wb5.jpg  
Old 09-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 23' escape
Thank you
Jeff1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Mounting our weBoost antenna and/or WiFi Booster antenna:

Here's how we mount our weBoost antenna and/or our WiFi Booster antenna:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post322006

Basically, we use a flag pole holder that goes into the hitch at the back of the trailer. I use some PVC segments to make a 15 foot mast. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Weboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
This is how I did it. Escape told me to run it thru air conditioning chase. Then I drilled thru the cabinet at the dinette. Here is my setup.

It was pretty easy.
What kind of bracket did you use to mount the OTR antenna to the solar panel? The bracket that ships with the OTR is for the horizontal arm of a truck mirror; Also, I assume that the antenna folds down for travel?
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I used the one enclosed. However I mounted it incorrectly. On purpose. Look closely at the image and you can see normally you would sink the four bolts but I wanted to mount it the way I did, using the one big bolt. Which is backwards.

I use my driver to make sure I got a real tight installment. It is not coming off any time soon. But I did use the bracket they sold me. It does not fold down for travel and so far I have not hit anything.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote