What Better Way to Spend a Tuesday - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
What Better Way to Spend a Tuesday

What better way to spend a Tuesday than doing a simple modification. After following windblade’s thread regarding the pneumatic pedestal they installed, “Happy Days are Here Again” I decided I wanted one and purchased the Springfield 3 Stage table Pedestal #SPR-1660230. It’s on the pricey side, $271.99, but I wanted a solution to the lack of foot room under the rear table of my 17B with the U-Shaped dinette. I didn’t do anything fancy, used the original table but I did purchase 6 stainless steel screws for mounting the pedestal to the floor and 4 more to mount the table to the pedestal.

The weather was a little iffy today so I didn’t feel there was any hurry to complete this little job. Did I want to change the slide so the table moved north/south rather than east/west? The original setup had the back of the table overlapping the rear bench of the dinette; if I moved the mounting just a skosh to the north I’d be able to keep the slide going east/west. Just be sure to move it enough to clear the rear cushion when it’s time to make up the bed. I played around a little ‘til I decided to move the mount north a skosh and keep the slide going east/west. A pleasant realization with this decision is it’s now possible to skooch around and sit on the rear cushion without feeling claustrophobic. Another thing, the single pedestal setup let’s me rotate the table 360 degrees if I want.

What I ended up with is a vertically adjustable table, foot room beneath, the ability to sit comfortably at the rear, it’s more stable than the twin pedestal setup and there’s nothing to store out of the way when it’s time to make the bed.

Do I want to do the same for the front dinette? At $271.99 it can wait a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Table Up.jpg   Ready for Bed or Travel.jpg  
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ours is sitting in a box waiting for me to install it Pat. I'm going to combine that install with laying down a new Allure plank floor. If the weather is good I'll tackle it Friday or Saturday. Looks great.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That is one huge table base, Oleman. That set-up should make it very convenient for you as that table is not exactly easy to move although you at least have the smaller one.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #4

When you have to go to that trouble many days, I can believe it. Worth every cent to fix that.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
That is one huge table base, Oleman. That set-up should make it very convenient for you as that table is not exactly easy to move although you at least have the smaller one.
It was really a PITA to pull it apart from the original pedestals at bedtime and then trying to put it back together in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ours is sitting in a box waiting for me to install it Pat. I'm going to combine that install with laying down a new Allure plank floor. If the weather is good I'll tackle it Friday or Saturday. Looks great.
Thanks, Robert, I was just too danged anxious to wait until the floor redo. Now I know it's a worthwhile investment. You're gonna like your's too.
2012 4Runner
Old 05-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 19'
sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere:

- sounds like you originally had the 2 pedestal stock table arrangement. I don't see any cosmetic changes to floor - did the new base cover up both the original holes?
- how long were screws into floor/ how thick is plywood?

thanks.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #7

My post #4 was previously a response to post #5. They have been switched. Neat trick. Wonder how that happened. Maybe from editing somehow.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
What better way to spend a Tuesday than doing a simple modification. After following windblade’s thread regarding the pneumatic pedestal they installed, “Happy Days are Here Again” I decided I wanted one and purchased the Springfield 3 Stage table Pedestal #SPR-1660230. It’s on the pricey side, $271.99, but I wanted a solution to the lack of foot room under the rear table of my 17B with the U-Shaped dinette. I didn’t do anything fancy, used the original table but I did purchase 6 stainless steel screws for mounting the pedestal to the floor and 4 more to mount the table to the pedestal.

The weather was a little iffy today so I didn’t feel there was any hurry to complete this little job. Did I want to change the slide so the table moved north/south rather than east/west? The original setup had the back of the table overlapping the rear bench of the dinette; if I moved the mounting just a skosh to the north I’d be able to keep the slide going east/west. Just be sure to move it enough to clear the rear cushion when it’s time to make up the bed. I played around a little ‘til I decided to move the mount north a skosh and keep the slide going east/west. A pleasant realization with this decision is it’s now possible to skooch around and sit on the rear cushion without feeling claustrophobic. Another thing, the single pedestal setup let’s me rotate the table 360 degrees if I want.

What I ended up with is a vertically adjustable table, foot room beneath, the ability to sit comfortably at the rear, it’s more stable than the twin pedestal setup and there’s nothing to store out of the way when it’s time to make the bed.

Do I want to do the same for the front dinette? At $271.99 it can wait a while.

Sure looks a lot like the one we put on our 17B in 2012. Nice job.

Ours swiveled too. I used a removable plate to I could still get easy access to underneath, if necessary.

Klaus
Attached Thumbnails
100_0466.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere:

- sounds like you originally had the 2 pedestal stock table arrangement. I don't see any cosmetic changes to floor - did the new base cover up both the original holes?
- how long were screws into floor/ how thick is plywood?

thanks.
Yes the original was the 2 pedestal arrangement but because I have the U-Shaped dinette the pedestals were as close together as they could be put. That made the table rather wobbly and foot room very tight. The new pedestal does not cover all the holes from the previous 2, but I'll take care of that at a later date. As I mentioned earlier I was one anxious puppy I used 1 inch screws which extended into the plywood perhaps about 3/4 of an inch which makes it solid.
2012 4Runner
Old 05-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Sure looks a lot like the one we put on our 17B in 2012. Nice job.

Ours swiveled too. I used a removable plate to I could still get easy access to underneath, if necessary.

Klaus
Yep Klaus, I'd betcha they're the same, but nowadays a bit more expensive A removable plate sounds like a good idea, I'll wait and see if I'd want to go that route also.
2012 4Runner
Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Hmm.... Maybe another future option on the build list!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Hmm.... Maybe another future option on the build list!
I don't know if ETI would install one for you so if you were to decide on one I'd suggest you at least ask ETI to not install the factory pedestals., this would eliminate filling/covering holes left from the factory install.
2012 4Runner
Old 05-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I don't know if ETI would install one for you so if you were to decide on one I'd suggest you at least ask ETI to not install the factory pedestals., this would eliminate filling/covering holes left from the factory install.
Yes, that's what I did. Told them not to install the pedestals. They still gave them to me loose but I didn't have to patch any holes. I then fabricated and installed my own design of pedestal.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
For those of you who have the springfield Marine table pedestal, have any of you put it in the dinette of a 21? Does the table still slide back and forth? We are thinking of ordering one and having ETI install it when they raise the floor of our dinette. It looks to me like it might be more stable, and a bit easier for one to avoid knocking a knee on when getting into or out of the dinette. It also looks more stable than the two posts. Thanks for any advice
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, the table can still slide back and forth, yes, anything is more stable than the standard two posts, and yes to more knee and foot room.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
For those of you who have the springfield Marine table pedestal, have any of you put it in the dinette of a 21? Does the table still slide back and forth? We are thinking of ordering one and having ETI install it when they raise the floor of our dinette. It looks to me like it might be more stable, and a bit easier for one to avoid knocking a knee on when getting into or out of the dinette. It also looks more stable than the two posts. Thanks for any advice
On my 19 with the U-shaped dinette, they asked me which way I wanted it to slide, and installed the pedestal and table at delivery time.

It is MUCH more stable than the 2 posts - and the table top can be easily twisted. But the table cannot be readily removed (without removing some screws.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Thanks, Guys!

Ron and Doug, thanks much for the info. A pedestal is on its way to us. I don't care about removing the table -- just want something nice and stable.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote