What's behind this wall? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
What's behind this wall?

I've got an access hatch and was thinking about utilizing the space behind this wall. My rig is a 2016 19 footer. This is just past the entrance, sink/stove cabinet.

Anyone with knowledge of what is inside here? Is it usable space? In this vintage Escape, are there other potentially useful storage areas?

bon voyage,
Attached Thumbnails
.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I've got an access hatch and was thinking about utilizing the space behind this wall. My rig is a 2016 19 footer. This is just past the entrance, sink/stove cabinet.

Anyone with knowledge of what is inside here? Is it usable space? In this vintage Escape, are there other potentially useful storage areas?

bon voyage,
Hi Tom
We used to have a 19. Isn’t that the area below the sink and can you see in there from the front? I believe that’s where the wheel well curves down and takes up most of that space? We had three exterior hatches on the 19. Two in the front and one in the rear on the passenger (right) side. We did not have a detachable power cord so I got under the bed and framed up with 2x2s an area where the cord was stored so it couldn’t get tangled up. I used heavy pet screen air stapled to the 2x2s. Worked well.
Never did put slides or roll out access under the bed like we did with the 21.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
There are a couple of threads detailing how owners have opened that space up. Either search yourself or someone else can point you the right way.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Tom, I think Dave meant to say "see in the from the rear" and not the front. Anyway, on our 19 with the rear passenger side hatch, I can stick my head in the hatch and look towards the front, the under-the-sink area you're referring to. It's just as Dave described with the wheel well, etc. It looks like useful space. Some people have added access doors precisely in the spot you're considering. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That area has some space as seen in mods that a few others have done and posted. Most useful I think is the area over the wheel wells for long stuff...like maybe bbq tools, axe etc. You can also see the height of this area over the wheel wells via the rear hatch.

As for other storage areas...
I removed some panels at the rear of compartments and opened up an area below the furnace. At the time I used toilet paper rolls as a standard of measurement that I thought everyone could understand. Over the past few weeks it has come apparent how important toilet paper has become as a measuring tool due its shortage.

Removing rear cupboard panels...post 207
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post276865

Under furnace area posts 187 and 197
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post276671

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
We've got a 2nd gen 19 but I think the space is pretty much the same.
Here's a shot looking forward from the rear hatch. You can see the tops of the wheel wells.
I cut out a little of the paneling that stuck down below any actual framing. The duct tape is a "temporary" fix for the rough edge.
We store a couple of longer items in there. (Broom and supports for our bumper mounted clothes line.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	CE9F803C-1971-4A0A-AD06-1B174574954F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	45698
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #7

I poked my head in there for a gander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
Tom, I think Dave meant to say "see in the from the rear" and not the front. Anyway, on our 19 with the rear passenger side hatch, I can stick my head in the hatch and look towards the front, the under-the-sink area you're referring to. It's just as Dave described with the wheel well, etc. It looks like useful space. Some people have added access doors precisely in the spot you're considering. -Tom

You are correct of a large volume as viewed from the hatch opening, looking forward. What appears to be at the end is a partition wall separating the below sink area with another forward compartment. That is the area I intend to access. I've gotten permission from Mary, so I'll likely start cutting soon. This volume is not large, but potentially useful.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
You are correct of a large volume as viewed from the hatch opening, looking forward. What appears to be at the end is a partition wall separating the below sink area with another forward compartment. That is the area I intend to access. I've gotten permission from Mary, so I'll likely start cutting soon. This volume is not large, but potentially useful.
Tom, what are your plans for a door for this area?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I think you are talking about this area that Ron opened up in his old 19. Be careful as there is piping in there.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...aces-5610.html
Old 03-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, Ron's secret compartment that the whole world now knows about.........
Old 03-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #11

Oatey access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Tom, what are your plans for a door for this area?
Oatey access panel model 34055.

But I have currently decided not to do this project. I don't have a specific need for access, it would provide minimal benefit, so I'll wait and see.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Oatey access panel model 34055.

But I have currently decided not to do this project. I don't have a specific need for access, it would provide minimal benefit, so I'll wait and see.
Thanks for the answer. To clarify I think you were planning the access on the panel to the left of the door, not from under the sink.
I can see where that type of access panel might work just fine in the location just inside the door.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #13

Yes, I was thinking to add access to the exterior of the cabinet. The panel would work either location. I've taken on other mods that have more immediate benefit, with this pesky viral quarantine business going on.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Tom, at least you know now you can use that hidden space for longer items, the same way Jim does. I've yet to take advantage of it. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Back in 2014 or 15 there were a series of posts about making some of that area, esp. between wheels, into a wine closet.
Here's one: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...rage-4687.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes, I was thinking to add access to the exterior of the cabinet. The panel would work either location. I've taken on other mods that have more immediate benefit, with this pesky viral quarantine business going on.
This pesky viral quarantine is also causing me grief. I can't make it to Chilliwack to pickup my new 19'. It sounds like they're going to close the provincial borders too. But when I eventually do, I would use that little space to store used grocery bags and garbage bags, handy, right at the door.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
This pesky viral quarantine is also causing me grief. I can't make it to Chilliwack to pickup my new 19'. It sounds like they're going to close the provincial borders too. But when I eventually do, I would use that little space to store used grocery bags and garbage bags, handy, right at the door.
I prefer heavier items down below and seldom used items stuffed in between. Trash bags I put inside shoes until needed.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Since our trailers are fiberglass, l like the crossover to available marine accessories.

The area behind that panel would be a good place to loose something small. Here is a product for about $12 that solves the small problem and finishes off that area inside.

http://s.aliexpress.com/ARviAruy
Attached Thumbnails
A2C0118E-3DEC-4481-8EDD-E24F9B909667.jpg   635370BB-5A6F-4E9E-8B20-DF39C6AD75ED.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #19

Thanks

I think I'll order one.