Wheel clamp is in place - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Wheel clamp is in place

Today we fiddled around with the KoJack levelers but never did get them installed. It's kind of muddy around the tires, we got it too close to the tire and then the battery power tool died. Yep, time to switch to something else.

Which is the Nemesis Wheel Clamp/Lock from the Purple Line Mover folks (same as where the KoJacks are from). I purchased it during a Black Friday sale and all of 'em recently arrived.

Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

It comes in this nifty BRIGHT (I mean bright - get out your sunglasses; I need to snap a photo of it so you know what I mean) orange tote bag (as do the levelers) that's gonna stay in the back of the Tundra when it's not in use. It's not exactly light. Or small.

Hopefully it will deter thieves into looking at another trailer to steal.

Once we figured it out, it wasn't really that hard to put on and will get easier with time and use.

(BTW, the leveler did fit around the tire and there was enough room that both will fit just fine. We'll try 'em again tomorrow and I'll do a separate thread on that.)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04986.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Looks pretty massive. Should probably do its job. I am very happy that I don't live in a community where the crime rates are so high as to require such a device.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I was hunting the farm this fall. Our farmer had a friend helping him. They left the farm to take a couple of loads to the Elevator 6 miles away. The friend left his pickup in the yard.My cousins son from L.A walked by the pickup and noticed it was unlocked and the keys were in it in case of an emergency. He was amazed. I said "This isn't heaven, it's Iowa."
Merry Christmas
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like the boot they put on when you don't pay parking tickets.
Glad we don't need one of these either.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yeah, it is the boot style they use for parking tickets.

For those that say/think they don't live in a neighborhood where you would need it - you just never know. I wouldn't be too smug about it! You don't know if someone is going to be driving through your area, checking things out.

What about when you're camping? I wouldn't rely upon my neighbors for security as they could be out and about the same time you are. Or inside taking a nap or whatever.

How about the woman that just had her Scamp stolen? She probably thought she was in a good neighborhood.

You just don't know. Better safe than sorry. It's cheap insurance, in our mind. And it's not our only security for the trailer. The other shall remain unknown to this forum and others.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What does that thing weigh and how easy is it to put on by one person?
Old 12-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Have we heard of trailers being stolen out of campgrounds? Not any fiberglass ones that I know. I know we have heard of them being stolen from driveways and storage facilities.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What do you do to protect the clamp from theft when it's not in use?
Old 12-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We use our CA Immobilizer when boondocking and keeps me from being distracted while out doing other things. Even though we're switching from AAA to the Good Sam coverage with full replacement cost that is only for an accident. I don't want to wait a year for another 21 unless I have no choice.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good Sam covers a trailer being stolen under full replacement. There also could be a deal from the insurance company to get it sooner than a year in that situation.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yeah, it is the boot style they use for parking tickets.

For those that say/think they don't live in a neighborhood where you would need it - you just never know. I wouldn't be too smug about it! You don't know if someone is going to be driving through your area, checking things out.

What about when you're camping? I wouldn't rely upon my neighbors for security as they could be out and about the same time you are. Or inside taking a nap or whatever.

How about the woman that just had her Scamp stolen? She probably thought she was in a good neighborhood.

You just don't know. Better safe than sorry. It's cheap insurance, in our mind. And it's not our only security for the trailer. The other shall remain unknown to this forum and others.
if your like this camper you can never have enough spare keys..and those type may be a bit harder to get spares quickly for.
often wondered with all the locks we put on things to prevent being stolen, what about the prankster individual who just squirts a big glob of gel super glue in them so the key mechanism doesn't work...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #12

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
(BTW, the leveler did fit around the tire and there was enough room that both will fit just fine. We'll try 'em again tomorrow and I'll do a separate thread on that.)
Hi Laura~
Did the levelers fit the tires without making any adjustments for the width? (I was hoping they would fit "right out of the box" )
Were you able to get the trailer out to the parking lot to practice? We had to drive up north and all the empty parking lots made me think of you!
Judy
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Does Good Sam cover the trailers contents? Just think of how much you've bought from Amazon for it.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and I thought I had an amazon problem...... I hear they have AA meetings now, Amazon Anonymous.. for new Escape owners.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and I thought I had an amazon problem...... I hear they have AA meetings now, Amazon Anonymous.. for new Escape owners.
Ha, I need to sign up and start attending.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
.....what about the prankster individual who just squirts a big glob of gel super glue in them so the key mechanism doesn't work...
I bet incidents like this would be way higher than trailer thefts, though this would be just a pain to deal with, and not real bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Does Good Sam cover the trailers contents? Just think of how much you've bought from Amazon for it.
Our insurance does, up to about $5,000 (I believe). It does pay to shop around though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
$3K- something AAA doesn't and they knew that difference; said this company specializes in RV coverage.and could understand me switching. This replacementioned cost coverage is good for first five years.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensworks View Post
Hi Laura~
Did the levelers fit the tires without making any adjustments for the width? (I was hoping they would fit "right out of the box" )
Were you able to get the trailer out to the parking lot to practice? We had to drive up north and all the empty parking lots made me think of you!
Judy
Hey Judy, you'll be pleased to know they fit without any adjustment. Since your trailer will be on a paved surface (I think that's what you said), you won't have the problem we did of smashing it through mud and grass. It should slide right in for you.

Nope, gonna get professional help! (no jokes required) I realized it's just more than I want to figure out on my own, so I'm looking into driving schools right now and am waiting to hear back from them.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #19

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
Good to hear about the size...think I'll look for that post about the heavy rubber mat to place under the tires in a mushy situation-at least a mat won't take up much room in the truck.
The blinds look great BTW :-)
Judy
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some fellow campers mentioned getting rubber mats from Home Depot for this purpose as they had a good chuckle watching my wedges slide around on gravel.

TrafficMASTER Extreme 18 in. x 18 in. Black Commercial Rubber Drainage Floor (4-Pack)-MT5100074 - The Home Depot