Why not a 22" Range/Oven? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Why not a 22" Range/Oven?

I wish I could order a larger (22") range/oven for a couple of reasons:

The docs suggest that the interior height of a 17" range is about 4 1/2 inches from the wire rack to the top of the oven. Is that correct? Has anyone measured it on their range?

I'm concerned that this will limit the capability to cook things like chicken, pot roast, turkey, etc. It looks like there is a 22" oven with all the same specs except the increase in height.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/suburban/...-series-ranges

Has anyone installed a 22" range, and if so, what are the practical concerns other than the extra space and weight it takes up?
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That's correct: the dimension in the name of these ranges is vertical - they are the same width. All of the extra height of the 22 inch model is usable oven space, and without it the 17 inch model is only suited to relatively flat food items.

Few people would roast a a turkey in their RV oven, but if you want to do that (or even a chicken) in the oven of the 17 inch model, I suggest flattening it... try spatchcocking.

I can't think of any issues other than the space and weight increase, unless the 22 inch is too tall to clear the wheel well housing in the cabinet. Every current Escape model places the stove or range over the wheels, except the 17' which has the furnace under the stove and does not offer the range.

At least one Escape owners was able to have a Dickinson Marine range custom-installed instead of the standard range, and that (either model of the two offered by Dickinson) is the same height as the 22" Suburban range, so the 22" should be possible.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, range