Wilson Antenna Parts arrived - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Just an update. The Sleek Cradle wasn't installed by ETI. They're a bit reluctant to do any hard wiring of 12 v devices they don't sell and that's understandable. At Reace's suggestion, I stopped at a Radio Shack in Gresham OR yesterday and picked up a 12v socket with a wire pigtail coming off the back. Wired it up to the 12v drop in the overhead cabinet and connected it to the sleek using the 12v plug/usb cable supplied with the cradle. Works perfectly. Went from 1 bar on the hotspot to 4 bars here at Ainsworth SP. Oh, and by the way, the little adapter to connect the cradle to the Wilson antenna cable wasn't needed. The trucker antenna simply screws in to the base of sleek without an adapter.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Just an update. The Sleek Cradle wasn't installed by ETI. They're a bit reluctant to do any hard wiring of 12 v devices they don't sell and that's understandable. At Reace's suggestion, I stopped at a Radio Shack in Gresham OR yesterday and picked up a 12v socket with a wire pigtail coming off the back. Wired it up to the 12v drop in the overhead cabinet and connected it to the sleek using the 12v plug/usb cable supplied with the cradle. Works perfectly. Went from 1 bar on the hotspot to 4 bars here at Ainsworth SP. Oh, and by the way, the little adapter to connect the cradle to the Wilson antenna cable wasn't needed. The trucker antenna simply screws in to the base of sleek without an adapter.
They must make a bunch of different connectors on their "Trucker" antenna. I know there are a couple of different part numbers for the antenna. Both my original & the replacement I purchased at Amazon required an adapter.

Don't know if it is the Sleek that is different or the antenna, but I'm in the process of replacing the trucker antenna with a marine antenna, and it has the same connector as the Wilson trucker antennas - i.e. I need the adapter.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
They must make a bunch of different connectors on their "Trucker" antenna. I know there are a couple of different part numbers for the antenna. Both my original & the replacement I purchased at Amazon required an adapter.

Don't know if it is the Sleek that is different or the antenna, but I'm in the process of replacing the trucker antenna with a marine antenna, and it has the same connector as the Wilson trucker antennas - i.e. I need the adapter.
Yeah, that's probably right Jon. Different part numbers, different connections. This cradle had the "tiny" coax connector and so did the antenna cable.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Anyone using this setup wth a Verizon 6220 Mifi unit?
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd47 View Post
Anyone using this setup wth a Verizon 6220 Mifi unit?
Mine's an MHS291LVW, but the sleek cradle would work with the 6620L. Works with just about any 3G/4G device.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #26

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Thanks Ryan. I see the picture of the antenna and cradle at the start of this thread, is there a part list somewhere on the forum? I want to have this installed a a 21' when it is built (at least the antenna as I understand it I have to do the actual cradle connections). Will have solar so good to see that works out per ths thread.
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Would be very interested in what folks get for throughput with a hotspot. Have DSL at home and get just over 1Mb outbound and maybe .25Mb inbound.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Would be very interested in what folks get for throughput with a hotspot. Have DSL at home and get just over 1Mb outbound and maybe .25Mb inbound.
There are so many variables that you can't make a direct comparison. The best I've had with a Verizon MHS291LVW was 35Mb down & 6Mb up, however it is usually slower than that. Typical over my travels on 4G LTE had been around 5-6Mb down & 2-3 up, less on 3G.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Yes. I am using a directional Wilson antenna with the Sleek and Novatel 6620L on a mast when camping. At Seminole Canyon State Park in Texas, a remote area, I was able to get two bars of 4G service and use the internet in my trailer. I have no idea what tower I was hitting; one of the park staff told me that AT&T was the default provider in the area and he didn't think Verizon service was available. So it worked for me. Now--- Big Bend is a different story...
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #30
Site Team

Wilson Antenna Parts arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd47 View Post
Thanks Ryan. I see the picture of the antenna and cradle at the start of this thread, is there a part list somewhere on the forum? I want to have this installed a a 21' when it is built (at least the antenna as I understand it I have to do the actual cradle connections). Will have solar so good to see that works out per ths thread.

Mine is a Wilson 311119 antenna (roof mount) and a Wilson 4g Sleek. You can find them on Amazon but I got them cheaper through another site. Just do a google search.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Jon's right. There are a lot of variables. We are camped at Crooked River Ranch just outside Terrebonne Oregon. Just ran a speed test and its 12.5 Mbps down, 15.5 Mbps up. Yesterday at Ainsworth State Park on the Columbia River it was 8 Mbps Down, 6 Mbps up.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks guys, I'll try talking to Verizon.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Is there any advantage to the cradle models that work for one phone only, as compared to the broadcast type that will do up to 4 devices? Other than the cost, of course. Is it more portable from the TV to the RV? We mostly only need better reception for two phones anyway.

I see the 4G-S comes with a Mini Magnet Antenna. Is this other one you list an additional on for just the trailer?

At our land, the carrier I have used for over 20 years now for cell service, does not work. I need to drive a half mile up from the river to get reception. This is a pain the odd time, but frankly, a nice relief most of the time. I can just tell customers I have no service, sorry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #34
Site Team

Don't know Jim. The idea of the cradle is to create a near field antenna so that the roof mount antenna is for all intents and purposes connected to the device. Don't know if a broadcast type device would be as effective. I can tell you I'm sold on this one. Great performance. And, since in my case it's the MiFi that goes in the cradle, many devices can share the speed.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #35

Robert, how does this MiFi differ from using your phone as a hotspot? I have done that many times to get my laptop, or my wife's tablet online. Does it boost the cellphone signal, or just provide a data connection?

Please excuse my silly questions, I know very little about this, but it is something I am interested in learning some about.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Mifi has more of a router functionality while a hot spot is more throttled in bandwidth for multiple devices. We're not gamers, so the hotspot works fine. Many phone companies also have an additional device charge for using a Mifi device as it adds another device ID to your phone bill.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Robert, how does this MiFi differ from using your phone as a hotspot? I have done that many times to get my laptop, or my wife's tablet online. Does it boost the cellphone signal, or just provide a data connection?

Please excuse my silly questions, I know very little about this, but it is something I am interested in learning some about.

There is very little difference. A MiFi is really just a cell phone, but one that automatically connects to the 3G or 4G data network and doesn't do voice. If your plan has a lot of data, I see no reason why you couldn't just slap the phone in the cradle and use its hotspot functionality. Both the MiFi and the cell phone (when working as a hotspot) are DHCP servers and act as routers. The throttling of bandwidth has to do with the carrier and the plan, not the device.

In my case, I use the MiFi for two reasons: one, it's provided by my employer and data use is not a concern, and two, it frees up my phone.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #38
Site Team

Also, a slight edit: when acting as a hotspot SOME phones don't have the range of a MiFi. Perhaps another reason to use a dedicated device for Internet access.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
In my case, I use the MiFi for two reasons: one, it's provided by my employer and data use is not a concern, and two, it frees up my phone.
Freeing up the phone can be a good thing, though I think my phone would default to a call, and temporarily drop off as a hot spot.

How does the provider charge for the data used, does the mifi have its own plan?

I just can't seem to keep up with technology these days.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Freeing up the phone can be a good thing, though I think my phone would default to a call, and temporarily drop off as a hot spot.

How does the provider charge for the data used, does the mifi have its own plan?

I just can't seem to keep up with technology these days.
I can't keep up with it either, and I work in IT.

You can get a separate plan for a MiFi or a "bundled" plan from many carriers. I guess the bundled plan treats the MiFi as an add on device. In that case they would probably share the data on the plan.