Wiring through hidden spaces - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wiring through hidden spaces

Not being fortunate to have one switch that turns on outside lights on all 4 sides of the trailer I'm starting install wiring so I can have that feature.

I did look at the feasibility of accessing the wire for the existing driver's side light but came to the conclusion I could open up a real can of worms so I'm abandoning that light as one that could be used from inside in the event of hearing noises outside etc.

So I'll be installing lights on the rear, drivers side and front, all able to be turned on with one switch. I could have run wires underneath, all my backup camera wiring etc. is there, but keeping it inside is probably better. So, since the power supply and drivers side light are on that side I wanted to run wires behind the bathroom. I think Myron did that when he had his furnace out but I was hoping that I could do it without removing the furnace.

First attempt, a plumbing snake. Big mistake, it fell down a crack and the larger end got trapped Used a carrier board, lights, mirrors and freed it Next attempt, two slats of wood about 1/4" x 1" and 3' long. Couldn't use a single piece because it wouldn't fit in the under dinette seat area.

So, put a cord that I'll use for pulling wires through on the first piece, and pushed it in. Went in fine, just a little wiggle and jiggle required. Hot melt glued the second piece on to it and through it went. The red X is the slat and the first photo is at the front end of the bathroom. The second one is at the end of bathroom by the start of the wheel well. I was lucky as I'd already opened up access with an additional door. However it would still be easy to do by reaching over the top of the existing back on the cabinet under the fridge.

So, for anyone who wants to run front to back wiring in the future, as Donna would say "easy peasy"

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0235.jpg   IMGP0236.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
A real electrician's snake or "fish" works better than the plumber's type. I've done lots of wire fishing during house remodeling and far prefer the fish. Another useful tool is an inspection camera. Harbor Freight often has their version on sale. I used one to find a path behind the bathroom in my 17, as well as for adding a switch loop for my outside light.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Not being fortunate to have one switch that turns on outside lights on all 4 sides of the trailer I'm starting install wiring so I can have that feature.
So, for anyone who wants to run front to back wiring in the future, as Donna would say "easy peasy"

Ron
Don't blame me for this , Ten Forward doesn't have one switch to turn lights on the 4 sides, but top is the switch to turn on the main central inside light inside the trailer. Middle switch turns on the porch light and the bottom turns on the others... as long as those toggles are in the right position! If you've screwed with those other outside lights... there is no "mind reader" to help you out.

AND, the switches are part of my 5er build. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
053.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote