Wiring Weboost antenna - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 01:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Wiring Weboost antenna

After successfully trying out Weboost Drive Reach, I need to permanently wire the antenna from the rear roof area of my e19 (second gen). I prefer not to drill in the shell by using the refrigerator vent as a roof entry point. I wonder if anyone did any wiring from behind the fridge to the area under the driver side bench where the Weboost device will be installed.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have on both my 19 and 21. Under the vent lid, down the fridge chase, through the fridge compartment "floor" and into the empty space below. From there you can go either direction.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
sdb

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21 Classic {preceded by Casita Liberty Deluxe 17}
Has the WeBoost worked well for you? On our most recent excursion near the VA Sklyline Drive, we were totally without internet or cell and had a family emergency. Consequently we were driving to the closest town with cell service twice a day for updates. We are looking for a good option.
sdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It can't work miracles but it does extend your range. It picks up a signal sooner and holds onto it longer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb View Post
Has the WeBoost worked well for you? On our most recent excursion near the VA Sklyline Drive, we were totally without internet or cell and had a family emergency. Consequently we were driving to the closest town with cell service twice a day for updates. We are looking for a good option.
It worked well for us in the Moab area, used it in two locations, Big Band campground on 128 outside Moab and in Arches Devils Garden campground. In both locations signal without the booster was weak, I had to walk around the campsite to search for a usable signal. When using the booster I placed a phone right on the internal antenna and used it as a hotspot, giving us a nice WiFi network accessible around the campsite. I did see some disappointing reviews, when you’re in a location with no signal the booster will not help, there is nothing for it to boost.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Hi. I want to show the setup I’ve got right now and get some help to get it going better. I just made a long post under All Things Internet Related about the WiFi/router network in our 17B. But as things are developing in tech a bunch since our build in 2017, we’ve had better success streaming stuff using an iphone as a hot spot, pairing it with the router directly instead of to the park wifi network with a wifi access point.
Problem is, when we’re getting one or two bars cell, we’re not getting the hoped-for boost we’d wanted with our present set up.
During the 17B’s build, Reace installed a trucker outside antenna I provided on driver’s side back roof (in front of the wifi antenna mount—pictured in another post). He brought the cable (coaxial?) inside, snaked into the microwave cabinets over the fridge—we didn’t install a microwave). I then mounted a WeBoost trucker amplifier unit in the cabinet; the inside antenna wire I ran to the passenger side front cabinet wall to keep it as far as possible (as directed by WeBoost) from the outside antenna. Try as I might, no improvement in signal with this setup.
Then someone on the forum recently suggested this new WeBoost antenna with its extended mast:

weBoost Wilson Electronics 17” / 32” / 45” 4G Truck and RV Spring-Mount Antenna w/ 14 ft. RG58 cable, SMA Male Connector (304415)

I got one to replace my antenna, received it and found that the cable is “hard-wired” into the antenna, as is the cable to my present antenna. I returned it, but wanted to know if any of you have had experienced with splicing this type of cable? That way I could remove my present antenna from the cable, splice the new antenna to it, and after I’ve found a way to hinge the new mast so it can be folded down for travel, we’d be good to go.
I really appreciate the solution of bringing wires outside through the side fridge vents—seems much better than my setup as it would have allowed me to completely replace the cable and its antenna. But any advice you can share, I’d appreciate it!
Best,
Jonathan

1. The trucker outside antenna on driver’s rear side roof (a bit bent as I’ve got the trailer covered)
2. The WeBoost amplifier inside the “Microwave” cabinet
3. The inside antenna mounted on the passenger front side cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1576.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	50750

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	50751

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	50752
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Contact Randy@signalbooster.com. He is very knowledgable. He was my rep at Wilson when I was a cellphone retailer.