Wobbly table. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B new 2018
Wobbly table.

Hello everybody. We bought a Escape 17b 2018. And the smale table at the front still wobbly. Is there any other owner with the same probléme ? And someone have solution ! Sory for my bad english i do my best.
Roberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In the Search drop down at the top of this page, use the google (lower) box and type either Springfield or Lagun. Both are legs folks have installed to fix the wobbles. I think the better option is the Lagun however I have the Springfield, didn't know about the other at the time.

Many folks have changed out the original.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my step father adjusted my slide so i get more room to get into the table to sit . much better!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberge View Post
Hello everybody. We bought a Escape 17b 2018. And the smale table at the front still wobbly. Is there any other owner with the same probléme ? And someone have solution ! Sory for my bad english i do my best.
Denis, it helps to know if the wobble is caused by the sliders under the table top or by the sockets and poles that attach it to the floor. If the plastic sliders under the table top have too much "slop" in them, Escape will probably sell you some slider material. Easy to change out. You can also remove them and replace with some short drawer slides used for kitchen cabinets.

If it's caused by the poles and sockets, I'm afraid that's the nature of the beast. Best we could do before changing to another mounting system was to make sure the poles were fully seated in both the floor and the table.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sometimes it helps to pull out the legs and flip them over for a better fit inside the aluminum bases....
Old 08-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We are in the process of having a 5.0TA built. We are getting the U-dinette and will likely never convert it to a bed. We are going to have a round table top - unsure of the exact size yet, we'll figure that out when we visit ETI next month. But we wanted a sturdy single pedestal mount, and don't need a telescoping one like the Springfield. We found this one at Marine Teak, https://www.marineteak.co.uk/all-ped...ixed-height-24 that I think will work well for us. It has a threaded connector on the bottom of the post that screws firmly into the base, and the table mount to the top of the post is similar to the basic one ETI uses but higher quality, fits very tightly and does not seem to have any wobble.

Our needs are different than most folks' but I'm mentioning this post because I haven't seen it on the forum before and it might work for someone with a smaller table top - it's probably not adequate as a single pedestal for a full size standard dining table but the manufacturer says it's good for up to 39" table tops. The table top will lift off for easy access to the batteries, water pump, etc. when needed. And the pole has a neat ratchet lock that secures it firmly to the base when it is screwed in, just press a button to release the ratchet and unscrew the pole if you want to remove it. The base that screws to the floor is only about half an inch or so thick so it is very unobtrusive.

What drove this decision for us, though, was the need for a sturdy single pedestal that had a smooth pole with no telescoping obstructions on it so that we could wrap it in sisal to serve as a scratching post for our cats. You'll have to wait until spring to see photos of it in action when we pick up our trailer...
Old 08-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberge View Post
...And the smale table at the front still wobbly. Is there any other owner with the same probléme ? And someone have solution !
Back to the OP's request for help--RV pedestal tables can be wobbly...as Robert said, it's the nature of the beast. I used some toothpicks shoved down the sides to act as shims to stabilize the table somewhat. Mine's not perfect but it's a lot better.

Edited: Of course, if the table is frequently being converted to a bed, this is not an ideal solution at all.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 2018 / 17B
I have a 2018 17B, and if you are a bit handy with tools, you can install a locking knob, as there is for the larger table (wonder why ETI doesn't do that), as I did mine. It reduced the wobbling quite a bit (which is caused by the roller bearing tracks that allows the table to slide).

I first glued a plate (excess Formica from another project, a hard plastic track would also do) long enough to cover the full travel of the table aligned where you want your locking knob. Then I got a stainless large "eyelet", 1/4" dia. or more, the kind that has a machine screw (usually comes with a nut that is not needed here). Those are readily available at CTire. Then I drilled a hole in the moving the wood plate matching the inside diameter (or slightly smaller) of the eyelet aligned with the glued track.

To create a tight thread in the plywood plate, screw in the eyelet slowly all the way through. I then removed it and applied silicone lube (spray kind, in CTire auto dept.). this reduces friction a bit, but mostly polishes somewhat the new wood thread.

You may want to file flat the part of the eyelet that contacts the glued track to reduce wear and tear.

BTW, on another subject, if you find it difficult to pull in/out the trailer stair, just apply a generous amount of that silicon spray on the sides where it slides on the mount. It works wonders!
bitsnbytes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

That table mentioned in post #6 looks interesting, would like to see one in operation. I like the locking base, but that means the base has to be very secure, may not work with the floor thickness in an Escape. I'd check with the manufacturer to see what size bolts or screws are needed.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Wobbly table in a 17B is standard equipment … I got one … and love it.!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17B new 2018
Thank you every one.
Roberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
I really like my Snap 2 folding table. It doesn't wobble at all. It's only suitable for the rear table though. For the front table we have the Springfield threaded pedestal 27" thread lock 1690727-SL. I think it wobbles less than the standard options, but I don't have them for a side by side comparison.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #13

I fixed our table, to be vary stable, and at the same time easy to take down, if used for a bed.

First we seldom have more than two people in our 19, my wife and I.

To do this I dowled to pieces of scrap wood together. To make a shelf like fixture.
I bolted this piece to the front wall of the trailer.

On the shelf portion of the fixture I glued in a 1/2” dowel, to fit the table on.

To make it easier to sit at the table, I sawed 6” of the wall end of the table top.
Doing this eliminates the need for a slider.
It also leaves sufficient table top to eat from or play games, ( we like crib )

To attach the table surface I drilled a 1/2” hole in the center of the wall end of the table top.
This hole fits over the 1/2” dowel on the wall fixture.
I removed the rear leg of the table for more room under the table.

When the table is in place, attached to the wall and set on the single front leg, properly, it is very stable.
I hope my photos explain further.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
FD64592F-2962-4E1A-B573-BA0E620B3F1B.jpg   B7C433C1-0634-4FE7-8A6F-9F1134B27EE3.jpg   F1060D9C-ECF6-4482-91D9-ED62E0CCB169.jpg  
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #14

Nice work , Doug
Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Here's my solution. Magazine/laptop storage area optional.
Attached Thumbnails
Dinet06.jpg  
Old 11-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #16

I copied your idea in my 2016 E19 Myron, it held the table firm....
Old 11-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Here's my solution. Magazine/laptop storage area optional.
That's a nice idea, hope you don't mind me copying it with my own adaptation. We quite liked the u-shaped dinette for our 21 which we are picking up next month. In the end, we decided not to go ahead with it as we also liked the larger table, especially when we had guests for dinner and couldn't eat outside. However, the idea of putting in a shelf under the table to hold some cushions so we could put our legs up was in the plan. How simple it would be to add a little extra to the cross piece to reduce the sideways wobble on the table. Thanks.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #18

Trailer: R: Escape--2018 Escape 21
Alternative table for Escape 21 with U-shaped Dinette

We wanted to have an alternative table for our Escape 21 to make the U-shaped dinette area more like a lounge. I made a 24" round table top and used the same Formica and trim as the existing table had. We did order support legs that are 2" lower than the standard ones from ETI. The attached photo shows the end result.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181101_163904218.jpg  
R:Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #19

All good ideas, the only thing I could add, would be for new owners, to ask for a piece of 3/4” plywood be epoxied into the front wall to build onto.
There would be more support Myron’s Addition, as well as shelves and so on.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote