XM antenna mounting suggestions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #1

Trailer: ‘22 21C
XM antenna mounting suggestions

Camper is a 21C, I want to mount a small XM antenna on the roof, problem is how to run the cable. I want to end up in the overhead cabinet over TV so one option is drilling a 1/2 hole in the roof or has anyone fished the cable down through the upper fridge vent then snaked it through the microwave cabinet?
If I were to drill a hole in the roof what would be the best material to seal it with?
I’d appreciate any ideas, just can’t get myself to drill though the roof yet!
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
What I used to do, was place the XM antenna on top of the awning and run the wire through my dining room window. Then place a length of electrical tape over the seam of the screen to prevent insects getting in. Not fancy, but effective!
Old 05-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
Camper is a 21C, I want to mount a small XM antenna on the roof, problem is how to run the cable. I want to end up in the overhead cabinet over TV so one option is drilling a 1/2 hole in the roof or has anyone fished the cable down through the upper fridge vent then snaked it through the microwave cabinet?
If I were to drill a hole in the roof what would be the best material to seal it with?
I’d appreciate any ideas, just can’t get myself to drill though the roof yet!
No need for any holes either for a solar panel or any wiring coming from the roof to the interior.

Remove the cap on the fridge vent. 4 screws. From there it's a straight drop down to the "floor" that you see when you open the fridge access door.

If you want the wires to go into the overhead cabinets you can go sideways. If you want the wires to go other places the you could go down through the "floor" into the empty space under the fridge and go both directions, lot's of possibilities and I've done them all.

Love the Eternabond way of attaching a solar panel. Wish I'd used it on my previous trailer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
12-01-2007 4-00-11 AM_0009_resize.jpg   08-12-2019 4-42-27 PM_0014_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #4

Trailer: ‘22 21C
Thanks Ron, after a bit more poking around that seems to be the way to go.
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:09 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19, Hunter Teardrop and Roadtrek Ranger RT
XM antenna mount

I have not mounted one in the 19 yet, but previously mounted the XM antenna in the Max Fan housing on my classB. Stuck it to one of the supports. No drilling, or sealing needed as I followed the fan wiring in the ceiling space.
PapaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaD View Post
I have not mounted one in the 19 yet, but previously mounted the XM antenna in the Max Fan housing on my classB. Stuck it to one of the supports. No drilling, or sealing needed as I followed the fan wiring in the ceiling space.
Can't duplicate that in your Escape, there is no ceiling space.....
Old 07-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21C
I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I might be able to help those looking for future XM install. While I drove over the road a couple of years in a company truck obviously drilling holes was not an option. I did find that simply sticking the antenna in the highest compartment of the cab the XM waves went through the fiberglass cab without issue. Always clear reception and no holes needed. It is super easy to test once you have the radio hooked up you can simply try the antenna in a few places to test for reception without making it permanent.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote