Yet another storage box question... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One question for 19 owners that do use the storage box. Do you just leave the space under the bed mostly empty?
Surely you jest. This is us at home unloaded.

But I think that our two different views highlight the different ways we've been using our trailers. If I understand correctly from your posts that a lot of your use of the 19 has been to land you own and which has some things already on the property. Our use is multi-thousands of miles of travel for multi-weeks. So, different uses, different needs.

I might point out that, yes, there's lot's of square footage under the bed but it has to accessed either from the interior or by kneeling on the exterior and reaching in. The storage box, on the other hand, is pop the lid open, instant and easy access.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-05-2016 9-40-13 AM_0001_resize.JPG   18-05-2016 9-41-27 AM_0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The under bed space is just about the only space in a 19' Escape where you can put anything bigger than a bread box. I kept my mats and my chairs underneath the bed. I would not store any hoses, water or sewerage for obvious reasons, not a grill or other dirty item under the bed.
The storage box is like a basement, out of sight and still in use.
You mention suitcases, ideally they would be for under the bed but to chance getting them soiled by an outdoor item exists. Thus outdoor stuff can stay outdoor in the box and your clean stuff indoors under the bed. These are really the only 2 spaces available for bulky items.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Gregg have 8 ft truck bed too . Have to carry extra jugs of water , gen ., chairs , dog pen , barbucue , ice chest , etc. etc. . Hard to get in truck for smaller items . Box is so much easier for sewer , set up items and box is just as sturdy as trailer . Pat.
You'd have to see my truck setup Pat to understand. I have everything organized in easy opening 2 foot sections of the backflip cover. In the storage box because it's so small and vertical storage you have to dig things out that are buried. If we had a race and named off items to retrieve, I would probably have them in hand way quicker than the storage box setup. They also get put away much faster and more organized at the end of the day.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
What are the dimensions of the access hatch for the classic 19? And what will be the size for the new version?
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
You'd have to see my truck setup Pat to understand. I have everything organized in easy opening 2 foot sections of the backflip cover. In the storage box because it's so small and vertical storage you have to dig things out that are buried. If we had a race and named off items to retrieve, I would probably have them in hand way quicker than the storage box setup. They also get put away much faster and more organized at the end of the day.
Gregg believe me , we have the box organized . One side sewer stiff in a nice bag from covers they always give you , that one side with the chocks for that side too. Other side for clean hoses in another bag , cables etc. and the chocks for that side . On top of battery box a little plastic container for locks , grease , awning straps etc. awning wand , broom . In whatever spaces left blocks in bag, 2 leveling blocks and trailer aide . Just can't think of everything right now but there is a lot in there , all organized having their place . I am one of those that does not like to dig for things . Everything has to be easy to access and have a place . Don't forget you are also younger then me . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The under bed space is just about the only space in a 19' Escape where you can put anything bigger than a bread box. I kept my mats and my chairs underneath the bed. I would not store any hoses, water or sewerage for obvious reasons, not a grill or other dirty item under the bed.
The storage box is like a basement, out of sight and still in use.
You mention suitcases, ideally they would be for under the bed but to chance getting them soiled by an outdoor item exists. Thus outdoor stuff can stay outdoor in the box and your clean stuff indoors under the bed. These are really the only 2 spaces available for bulky items.
Jim pretty much how we use under the bed . Except for dirty clothes which are in a laundry bag . Nothing goes under bed if it is dirty . Pat
Old 05-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You can never miss what you've never had.

The question to ask: for those that have a storage box, would you buy the exact same trailer without it?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

The question to ask: for those that have a storage box, would you buy the exact same trailer without it?
Donna for us a big No ! Pat
Old 05-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
The Artlady has left the building......took her brushes, easel, and floppy hat. She's gone to her favorite scenic overlook and is pondering her view........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
[I]

Yup, then I'd make my own that maximized use of the space.

Quite frankly looking at a trailer with the batteries sitting there exposed in a large area with two propane tanks out in front seems jarring. But, as is with so many discussion points on this forum, we have a multitude of views. As long as we can do what works for us it's all good.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
But I think that our two different views highlight the different ways we've been using our trailers. If I understand correctly from your posts that a lot of your use of the 19 has been to land you own and which has some things already on the property. Our use is multi-thousands of miles of travel for multi-weeks. So, different uses, different needs.

I might point out that, yes, there's lot's of square footage under the bed but it has to accessed either from the interior or by kneeling on the exterior and reaching in. The storage box, on the other hand, is pop the lid open, instant and easy access.

Ron
I don't think we use our trailers different at all. While we do head to our property a lot with the trailer, we keep not a single item there for use with our trailer. I am in fact very adamant that it be fully self-contained, and anything to do with setting up camp must be put away on the trailer some where, with the only exception being a cooler, and maybe a big water jug which will sit in the aisle until we stop to set up.

At our land we do have a nice cookhouse there for group cooking and eating in crappy weather, and for guests to sleep. We have a great group camping area carved into the trees near the river too, where everyone sets up their trailers and tents. We do also have a nice fire pit, which we tarp if there is any precipitation, enabling us to sit around the fire in any weather.

There is no doubt that one has to squat down to access the under bed storage in the 19, but that is usually a very short time while setting up and tearing down, so is not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
Keep in mind my family is 4 people (me & wife, 2 young daughters), so I have less room in my trailer/vehicle.
I think having two kids along is by far the best reason I have heard for having a storage box. If I was in your shoes, I almost certainly would have one too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think having two kids along is by far the best reason I have heard for having a storage box. If I was in your shoes, I almost certainly would have one too.
They don't fit in the storage box
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
LOL... You just never tried hard enough.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Now that's funny!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I love the storage box for the reasons already listed. The exterior hatch is small, I don't find it easy to get things in and out of.

We also have the window over the sink. I like it open when I cook but it is not a necessity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #36

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Wow! Answers from all angles and from seasoned users who know a thing or two. I appreciate you all taking the time to give this some thought and relay your experiences.

It helps to know what else people use the box for, as well as the additional items we hadn't considered. So thanks for listing your contents both in the box, and items that fit through the hatch and under the bed.

Jim, you've given us another side to the debate which we will talk about at length as we make our decision. Thank you!

Pat, I hear you about the accessibility...great point. Having the wheel chocks and set up gear immediately accessible without digging through the hatch is an excellent point for those of us who are either a bit older and/ or have limited movement issues/Muscle weakness.

Several people brought up that the box may protect the front of the trailer, something we didn't remember from previously searching the forum...we'll have to take into consideration as well.

Hmmm...Steve, The box may even prove helpful with some of my larger art supplies and wet paint.

Again, a huge thank you for all of your insight and replies. It definitely helps to hear from your experiences!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #37

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Wow! Answers from all angles and from seasoned users who know a thing or two. I appreciate you all taking the time to give this some thought and relay your experiences.

It helps to know what else people use the box for, as well as the additional items we hadn't considered. So thanks for listing your contents both in the box, and items that fit through the hatch and under the bed.

Jim, you've given us another side to the debate which we will talk about at length as we make our decision. Thank you!

Pat, I hear you about the accessibility...great point. Having the wheel chocks and set up gear immediately accessible without digging through the hatch is an excellent point for those of us who are either a bit older and/ or have limited movement issues/Muscle weakness.

Several people brought up that the box may protect the front of the trailer, something we didn't remember from previously searching the forum...we'll have to take into consideration as well.

Hmmm...Steve, The box may even prove helpful with some of my larger art supplies and wet paint.

Again, a huge thank you for all of your insight and replies. It definitely helps to hear from your experiences!
Lot's to think about ! Pat
Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:

Nah. Easy access for big and wet stuff is great.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #39

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Thumbs up Yes

OK folks. Still working on the build sheet.

Storage box is a "yes"!

Thank you all for your great advice and input... (and DH added " thanks for your patience"... I think he means regarding my incessant questions ...)
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
AND if you plug up the drain holes you could always fill it with water to give the dog a bath..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote