100 degree and AC - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Here's my little test, just checked.

We are expecting it to get pretty hot around here today. Turned on the ac in the 19 at 1PM. Trailer is shaded, underneath the canopy. All windows closed except for the window space over the street side bench seat. (Window still at the glass shop.)

1. At 1 pm inside trailer, temp. is 87°F. AC thermostat then set to cool, half way on
2. At 2:35 pm temp outside in full sun 103°F, and under shade canopy outside it is 92°F.
3. Temp inside trailer at 2:35 pm is 79°F.

I'll take it.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 21C on order
AC

Thank you so much everyone! Interesting replies! ....still a little hesitant this will work
harleyrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
My experience with other RVs cooling in Texas heat it depends a lot on where you’re parked. If sitting in shade or the sun beating down on the RV. I’m ordering a 2021 21C and I’ll be getting the larger AC.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
To each his own but .... after 5 years with two trailers, 19 with no insulation and single pane windows and a 5.0 with insulation and dual pane windows, camping in Texas in the summer with high temps in the sun with no shade our experience with the existing a/c has been good.

If I had to do it again I’d keep the standard a/c and spend the extra dollars elsewhere.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We have run our A.C. in over 100°F, had the thermostat set to 78°F, which we find is cold. We have thermal windows, extra floor insulation, and paid for the extra wall insulation. Once the trailer cooled down the A.C. did not run fulltime and kept cycling on and off. We live in AZ where high heat but no humidity is our life. Unlike Steve Dunham we find temps below 65°F involve the furnace.
I think that comfort depends on where you normally live. I find 65 degrees a perfect temperature and anything over 75 degrees as hot. Our thermostat in our house is set at 62 degrees and our furnace hasn’t run all summer and we have had the wettest summer I can remember. I would not like a bigger AC unit because I would be worried our Honda generator wouldn’t run it.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
... I would not like a bigger AC unit because I would be worried our Honda generator wouldn’t run it.
A concern I share, you might find this of interest in that regard:

Post in 2021 pricing and options thread with Coleman Mach 10 electrical demand data sheet.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrk View Post
ETI is offering a 13500 BTU A/C on the 2021s. Does anyone in very hot, very humid weather have experience of days on end, full sun, 100+ temps and high humidity on their 21C with the current 11000 BTU A/C?

No, we are not vacationing in that weather, we will be staying in those conditions while we help at the grandkids! It's our motel.

Does the 11000 BTU keep up? We are picking ours up the 31st and are now worried it won't. Are they offering the 13500 because the 11000 does not?
100 is common here in Deep South TX and my 21 11000 AC does fine. A bit of a racket!
Old 08-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We are forecast to experience a major heatwave next week and since we can’t change the weather we plan on changing our location
Right now Two Harbors MN on the shores of Lake Superior looks promising
If our A/C can’t keep up in Northern Minnesota then there is no hope .
Sometimes it’s better to flee then stand and fight a battle you can’t win .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We travel full time in our 2017 21C but, due to COVID-19, we have been staying put in the San Antonio/Austin area in Texas. Lately, temperatures have been near or past 100° F most days and the standard A/C unit has been doing a great job of keeping us cool. Sometimes, too cold. We have no issues with the 11,000 BTU unit.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
We travel full time in our 2017 21C but, due to COVID-19, we have been staying put in the San Antonio/Austin area in Texas. Lately, temperatures have been near or past 100° F most days and the standard A/C unit has been doing a great job of keeping us cool. Sometimes, too cold. We have no issues with the 11,000 BTU unit.

Fred M.
Same here, Fred. Our A/C has always been able to handle high temps.

We summer camped once at Lake Mead, Nevada where the temps were 117 deg and the A/C kept the trailer cool at 76 deg. The A/C was running almost constantly on high to do it but that was to be expected. The fridge worked great as well but we also have upgraded insulation in the fridge cavity. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post257436

I can see no reason for a bigger A/C on the 21 - on the 23 with the additional surface area, a 13000 btu may be needed.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I think that comfort depends on where you normally live.
I tend to agree. Our 5.0TA does have the extra insulation and thermal windows except in the sleeping loft. We set our A/C at home in Florida at 78° F and so that we do not get acclimated to cooler temperatures, do the same in the trailer. I have become accustomed to daytime temperatures in the 80s and 90s and unless there is high humidity, these temperatures no longer seem as oppressive as they did when I lived in New England.
I will add that heat bothers me the most when I am trying to sleep, and rather than sitting in the trailer during daylight hours, I prefer outside in the shade. After the sun goes down, the 11,000 BTU A/C can turn the trailer into a meat locker. A few years back, with daytime temperatures hitting 108° in Monument Valley and no shade, the A/C had no problem maintaining 78°, although it was pretty much running all the time, so I really do not think I would go with the 13,500 BTU “option.”
Old 08-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
After 3 years with no air conditioner we added a Colemen 13,500 BTU unit. In Big Bend in summer it brought the interior temperature down to the upper 60's in 30 minutes. We either had to wear sweaters while it was running or wait outside if we wanted to hold a conversation over the noise.

If I was going to do it again I would get a smaller unit.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
After 3 years with no air conditioner we added a Colemen 13,500 BTU unit. In Big Bend in summer it brought the interior temperature down to the upper 60's in 30 minutes. We either had to wear sweaters while it was running or wait outside if we wanted to hold a conversation over the noise.

If I was going to do it again I would get a smaller unit.
--
Alan
Alan! You made me laugh! We went to Big Bend last September thinking that it would have cooled off a little - NAH! There should be a warning sign about summer there.

Thanks goodness we had reserved at the full hookup RV park and survived with the A/C running almost full time during the day. Of course, we did fine with the 11000 btu unit.

Beautiful park to hike in - got to see a family of black bears.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #34

OK OK y’all have convinced me the smaller unit will be good and I’ll spend those dollars elsewhere. Thanks for all the valuable wisdom from experience. We had a 36ft 5th wheel and two ACs weren’t enough on the hottest summer days so I just figured go big but I don’t wanna freeze.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthorns View Post
OK OK y’all have convinced me the smaller unit will be good and I’ll spend those dollars elsewhere. Thanks for all the valuable wisdom from experience. We had a 36ft 5th wheel and two ACs weren’t enough on the hottest summer days so I just figured go big but I don’t wanna freeze.
Keep in mind - I'm confident that all the posters that said the 11k A/C handled the heat fine also had the insulation and thermal window packages.

Without those, I don't think they make a big enough A/C to handle Texas heat.

ps. I don't have the spray foam insulation and don't need it either.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #36

I wasn’t planning on the insulation underneath. Don’t much care for snow. The trailer is insulated and thermal windows are standard now is that correct?
Old 08-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Keep in mind - I'm confident that all the posters that said the 11k A/C handled the heat fine also had the insulation and thermal window packages.
Yes. I should have added we have all the thermal options, including foam, which helps to keep out the noise of other people's air conditioners.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #38

Quote:
I wasn’t planning on the insulation underneath. Don’t much care for snow. The trailer is insulated and thermal windows are standard now is that correct?
You're right. They were options on my 2017 but standard now.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
we
Quote:
I understand your concern. A friend of ours has 34 ft 5th wheeler with dual rooftop A/Cs
He turns both units on max cool at 10 in the morning and by 2 to 3 in the afternoon the temp inside the trailer has actually gone up .

Good luck with your decision and your new trailer . Hope you don’t freeze to death but at 78 deg F that’s highly unlikely.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
To each his own but .... after 5 years with two trailers, 19 with no insulation and single pane windows and a 5.0 with insulation and dual pane windows, camping in Texas in the summer with high temps in the sun with no shade our experience with the existing a/c has been good.

If I had to do it again I’d keep the standard a/c and spend the extra dollars elsewhere.
Once we had a camper and added ac . It was a 13,500 because that was what they had on sale . We froze every time we turned it on . We even had it on low with the door open . It was too much .
Now on our 19 have the 11,000. Unfortunately we lot of times ended up in high summer temps . Many times over 100. The 11,000 works fine , just noisy . Going to Washington in summer stay on the way in Redding , temps 106 . The ac worked fine just noisy .
We do have the foam , double pane windows and extra insulation . All those will also help with the opposite temps of cold .
My brother and other family members have larger RV ‘s . That means higher roofs too and yes they need 2 ac ‘s . In our small trailers , the smaller ac really is sufficient in our opinion .
We usually even in the 100’s have our ac at the halfway mark on the knob. Never needed to bump it up higher .
Just wish it wasn’t so noisy and are glad if we can turn it off at night . But wouldn’t be without for sure . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote