12 volt adapter for MacBook Pro - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I used Aperture for years...until Apple kinda stopped doing a lot with it, switched to Lightroom, which I love, but now to get updates I have to do the subscription thing. Now I'm looking at Award Winning Photography Software and Plug-ins - ON1, Inc.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I know next to nothing about photography. I like the IPhone for taking pics but have always planned whenever I move into the wonderful world of retirement to buy a "real" camera.

I think getting a decent camera would do way better close-ups and and have the ability to put on a cool lens that I see other people using than the pictures I'm getting on the iPhone. Of course I'm not technical so want to be careful about buying too much of a camera for my limited abilities. I think a decent point and shoot would be about my speed. Won't a good point and shoot camera do way better than an iPhone ?

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A lot of people take up photography seriously when they retire. As a retired professional photographer, I gave it up.

Those are the people I see out on hiking trails with about 100lbs of camera gear along. A good friend bought at least $1000 worth of new DSLR gear and I've yet to see one decent photograph.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Those are the people I see out on hiking trails with about 100lbs of camera gear along. A good friend bought at least $1000 worth of new DSLR gear and I've yet to see one decent photograph.
That could be me if I'm not careful
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
A good friend bought at least $1000 worth of new DSLR gear and I've yet to see one decent photograph.
He didn't spend enough, obviously.
When I was working, I had one lens that cost $12,000.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I know next to nothing about photography. I like the IPhone for taking pics but have always planned whenever I move into the wonderful world of retirement to buy a "real" camera.

I think getting a decent camera would do way better close-ups and and have the ability to put on a cool lens that I see other people using than the pictures I'm getting on the iPhone. Of course I'm not technical so want to be careful about buying too much of a camera for my limited abilities. I think a decent point and shoot would be about my speed. Won't a good point and shoot camera do way better than an iPhone ?

Larry

Larry I really recommend checking out http://www.kenrockwell.com before you start buying anything. He is a pro photog with a lot of very down to earth advice

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Seems like an inverter is more versatile than an application specific power cord.

Mac junkie here too, but defected to a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone about a year ago. Actually like Android, who would of thunk it. Finally a phone I can read without my glasses. User changeable battery, and a 32 gb micro SD card slot. Water resistant.

Still using Mac computers though.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #28

To me the problem with using inverters for charging devices is the inefficiencies. You start with 12v DC convert it to 120v AC then plug in the charger which converts it back DC to charge the device. Each of those steps are relatively inefficient. But you are right it can be simpler

Old 10-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Hi,

Anyone use a 12V adapter for a MacBook Pro? If so, any suggestions for where to find.
We have a 4 month trip coming up in early 2016 and will be taking our MacBook Pro along for the ride. And like others have suggested, will be buying the best one we can find on Amazon. With our fingers crossed of course...

Other suggestions about using an inverter don't appeal to me for a couple of reasons. Most of the inexpensive, low wattage inverters provide a modified square wave which is loaded with harmonics (unwanted frequencies above 60 Hz). That's OK for some devices but not for my prize (read $$$) electronics. ( I was very happy with a cheap 400 watt inverter to power my electric blanket from a battery, back in the boating days.) I do own a nice true sine wave inverter but this is too much hassle for a simple charge, plus unnecessary conversion loss of precious solar/battery power going from 12 vdc to 120 vac to 18 vdc. And don't get me started on ground loops...!

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Brian, I have a PC-lovin' friend who's always giving me a hard time about Apple. I've had good experiences and bad (less) experiences with their products. But that darn Apple logo is just so handsome. Kidding, of course, but I'm just so comfortable with their computers and iphones, it's hard to switch. And have had excellent experiences with my Apple Store visits (no charge for tech support) so I'm stayin' loyal.

And I hear ya about the adapter possibly coming from the same factory as Apple's. (Though according to the guy last night at the Apple Store, Apple doesn't make any adapters.)
Apple here too . Get grief from the kids and brother . But nothing but Apple and love their support too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
But nothing but Apple and love their support too .
That raises a good point: any name brand from a physical store of any reputable retailer means a good chance of returning a defective product for exchange or refund, while the mystery brand from the online-only source is likely just landfill if it doesn't work. If you have an Apple Store handy, it might be a good source.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That raises a good point: any name brand from a physical store of any reputable retailer means a good chance of returning a defective product for exchange or refund, while the mystery brand from the online-only source is likely just landfill if it doesn't work. If you have an Apple Store handy, it might be a good source.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:41 AM   #33

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My flask opened up while hunting and soaked my iPhone in brandy still works but not sure for how long kinda milky picture!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I switched our technical infrastructure to mostly apple products several years ago. Partly because Lindy used an Apple computer at work. As a result, the time I devoted to tech support duties declined significantly. After that we also got iPhones and iPads and by large every thing still 'just works'.

We have a pair of 12 volt chargers for our laptops. Got them via Amazon. They work well, but do take a lot of power. If we plug the laptops in at night when we are boondocking, our LEDs flicker a lot. But they also flicker when we run the water pump and the furnace.

My guess is the Diamond LEDs are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. I have tried cleaning the contacts, but that doesn't make any difference. The easy solution is to charge the laptops at night while we sleep, or during the time we are driving.

The highlander has an inverter we could use to power the standard Apple charger, but it is right where Murphy-The-Dog likes to be, so we don't use it.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
carrying a phone and flask with a weapon, too many distractions.....
Old 10-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi everyone who has posted.
My last day in Cleveland and heading to Chilliwack in the morning. Yegadzooks, it's really happening!
But I haven't had time to read and respond to all of your posts and information regarding 12V, Apple and such. Leaving my wi-fi in a few minutes. WILL get them all read.
Thanks so much for all the input and good information!!! As always, so much appreciated!
Hello little 17B, comin' t'getcha!
Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #37

Congratulations You will love it

Old 10-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
no weapon - fox hunting - we don't kill them just ride horses following a bunch of hounds who chaise a person that drags fox scent. Odd sport lots of drinking and riding in the woods. The horses stay sober.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Safe travels!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
no weapon - fox hunting - we don't kill them just ride horses following a bunch of hounds who chaise a person that drags fox scent. Odd sport lots of drinking and riding in the woods. The horses stay sober.
Now that sounds like fun, thanks for the clarification....