12 Volt Circuit Breaker - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
12 Volt Circuit Breaker

Here's one to remember;

After returning from a weekend at deer camp, I learned that our 12v power was only 9v. I had been on shore power all weekend so I thought it very odd. After opening the battery box and checking around, I learned that I was not getting 12v power from the power converter to recharge the battery. I was thinking the worst until I found a stand alone 30amp auto reset breaker near the power center outlet that had failed. After purchasing a new one at the local auto parts store, the problem was solved and fixed for $3.50 US.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
How did you determine the reset breaker had failed? Because it wouldn't reset?

"Electrically challenged Donna D."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Hi Donna,

After finding the circuit breaker, I measured the voltage on both terminals. I found 14v on one and 0v on the other with the battery disconnected. After taking it out, I found loose parts rattling inside. This post is no big deal but I wanted to pass this on and perhaps help others with less trouble shooting skills. I might add that you need to make sure the source and auxiliary terminals on the circuit breaker are correctly connected on the new replacement.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
... 30amp auto reset breaker...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How did you determine the reset breaker had failed? Because it wouldn't reset?
An auto-reset breaker resets itself, repeatedly trying to let power through, and interrupting it again if too much current flows. If there is voltage on the incoming side of the breaker and not at least intermittent voltage on the output side, the breaker has failed. So yes, it wouldn't reset (itself).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape "Bess" 19' Sept. 2013
Currently having same problem. Could someone explain where the stand alone 30amp auto reset breaker near the power center outlet is to to the electrically challenged........Me.
"You're not lost if you don't care where you are."
escape13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

On my 5.0, it was under the dinette seating fastened to the wood frame work next to the power center. About $4 at an auto parts store.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape
What are the symptoms ?
Check to be sure that the battery cables are securely attached to the battery
Do you have a voltmeter ?
If so set it on the DC scale and check the battery voltage. It should be above 12V.
Is so access the threaded stud on the back of the distribution center with numerous black ground wires secured together. Attach the negative lead of the voltmeter to this group of ground wires. Probe the 40A fuses (on both sides) in the front of the panel with the positive voltmeter lead. The voltage should be close to the battery voltage. If not the problem is between the battery(s) and the distribution panel and possibly the 30A breaker.
Post reults.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape13 View Post
Currently having same problem. Could someone explain where the stand alone 30amp auto reset breaker near the power center outlet is to to the electrically challenged........Me.
This is what it looks like. I believe there are two of them in the same vicinity; one for the power from the batteries and the other from one of the black solar controller wires under the seat near the cutoff switch...available at any auto repair store.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is a good idea to carry at least one of these as a spare...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is a good idea to carry at least one of these as a spare...
Why? Do they burn out or have a fuse that's not replaceable?

"Donna D. who's still electrical challenged."
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #11

The contact points open on a short or overload due to heat. When it cools, it resets itself. My failed for some unknown reason. I never took it apart but it's not suppose to have loose parts inside. I don't think it is a common problem.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #12

I thought they burn out and need to be replaced, like a main fuse in your house before circuit breakers. Let's wait for the experts to wake up.
Upon research it seems they do reset- see here http://www.delcity.net/store/Auto-Re...FQ7xOgodKWEA4Q
thus more like a circuit breaker. Interesting is they seem to be effected by extreme cold, i.e.
below -10F which is common up north.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #13

12V circuit breakers are used in circuits that have the potential for occasional high amperage draws such as those with electric motors. They are used in vehicle circuits such as power windows. It would be great if a wiring schematic was avaliable for our Escape trailers.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
12V circuit breakers are used in circuits that have the potential for occasional high amperage draws such as those with electric motors. They are used in vehicle circuits such as power windows. It would be great if a wiring schematic was avaliable for our Escape trailers.
I would imagine a basic schematic would be possible. Have you seen a photo of the wiring harness build on a wall at Escape Trailer Industries?

But, with so many owner modifications done during the build, it's doubtful ETI has the desire or the personnel to create a custom schematic for every trailer built. Can you even imagine what a schematic like Jim's would look like?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #15

I resemble that….just think what it will look like after I'm done, a lot of the wiring was done in anticipation of future improvements.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #16

Yes, a basic wiring schematic would make sense. One that maps the standard components. Unfortunately I was not able to pick up our trailer and had it delivered. Is there a photo of the wiring harness at ETI ?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Is there a photo of the wiring harness at ETI ?
Yes, I've seen it. But, I don't remember if it was on someone's personal website, Flickr, etc. or posted here on the forum. It was more than a year ago. Maybe someone will remember where it is and help us both out! It's just a picture, not enough detail to be really meaninful. But kinda cool anyway.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Auto-reset breakers are not fuses and don't contain fuses, but if they trip and reset a lot I can certainly believe that they would wear out. In normal use, under their rated limit, they don't trip and should last a long time, like other circuit breakers.

These are normally used in situations where you you want to keep operating after a momentary overload. An example is the power to the brake controller in the tow vehicle - if it momentarily overloads the wiring is protected, but the vehicle soon has trailer brakes again.

They are sometimes used in the tow vehicle's circuit to the trailer battery - if a big current rush results from connecting the discharged trailer battery to the tug, or from a spike up in tug voltage, power is only lost momentarily. Perhaps this is the intent of the auto-reset breaker in an Escape, but on the trailer end of the circuit?

Steve found two of them, one apparently for solar panel output. Is the other one between the tug and the trailer battery, or between the trailer battery and the circuits to lights, appliances, and outlets in the trailer?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #19

There will be a test on the 12 volt circuit breaker at the end of class Donna.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
There will be a test on the 12 volt circuit breaker at the end of class Donna.
Oh my!