12V chargers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
12V chargers

I received a JBL Flip Bluetooth speaker for Xmas. It comes with an AC plug with inline converter ( correct term? ).
I can purchase a JBL DC cord for it, but I'm wondering if I can use the DC cord from another device ( TV or Sirius satellite dock ), or will that blow up the speaker?
I can just run the AC into my small inverter, but a dedicated cord to the 12V would be more tidy.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
According to the online owner's manual at http://www.jbl.com/images/media/FLIP_OM_EN.pdf, the output of the a/c adapter is 12v. In theory, you should be able to use your trailer's 12v directly. The problem is that your trailer's 12v is really 12.5v or 13v or maybe even 13.5v. If the speaker is sensistive to voltage differences, you could conceivably damage it.

But it strikes me that the battery charging circuitry would be that sensitive. If it were me, I'd be willing to give it a try. But I'd do so understanding that there's a chance I'd be wrecking my new toy.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I received a JBL Flip Bluetooth speaker for Xmas. It comes with an AC plug with inline converter ( correct term? ).
I can purchase a JBL DC cord for it, but I'm wondering if I can use the DC cord from another device ( TV or Sirius satellite dock ), or will that blow up the speaker?
I can just run the AC into my small inverter, but a dedicated cord to the 12V would be more tidy.
Check the power jack on the speaker not all are created equal the DC in voltage should be listed on the unit in the instructions or on the power pack plug. The Jack will show a circle and than another 1/2 circle surrounding the smaller circle. Look closely there will be a negative or positive symbol pointing toward the center circle and the outside circle. It Looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Power plug pictorgram.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	4450

You can get a 12v cigarette lighter type charger with interchangeable tips to fit and a switch to change the positive and negative around to what you need. I did a little quick research it appears the center conductor is positive and the outer shield is negative according to information I found the speaker can take a range of Output: 12V 2A (9-12V 1.5-2A Compatible) Please check your unit or take it to radios shack and have them look if your unsure on the inputs etc.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #4

Yup. Your diagram above is what I see on the speaker. So, my plan was to check the TV and the Sirius dock to see if the marks on one of their inputs matches.

For the first time, I understand what that diagram depicts.

I had one of those 12V chargers with multiple tips and fried my AM/FM Shortwave radio by guessing. Happens instantly.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #5

Yep, pretty much you let the magic smoke out what ever it is becomes a shiny paper weight. The input pos / neg and the VOLTAGE / AMPERAGE have to match also or it will be a paper weight. Under voltage / amperage generally won't harm but over voltage , amperage or switching pos and neg input yeah that is bad ju ju.

Cypher
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I believe that the voltage and polarity have to match, but the amperage doesn't. The output amperage on the power supply has to be sufficient for the input requirements of the device. But if it's excessive, the device will still work without issue.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

The Seiki TV came with AC and DC cords.
On the AC cord it reads, Output, 12V 2.0A and the polarity is correct.
Which raises a question.
There is an in-line converter ( transformer? ) on the AC cord. The DC cord has nothing ( unless there is something hidden in the lighter plug itself ). So, what regulates the Amps?
It looks like I'd be safe to use the Seiki cord on the JBL speaker, but just checking.

baglo
Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So, what regulates the Amps?
Amperage is a function of the load the device draws. The only regulating on the line is the breaker itself, should you try to draw more than the wiring is rated to handle.

Most 12V devices are actually designed to handle a fairly wide range in voltage, as it is recognized that charging voltages are usually higher.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #9

Quote:
The Seiki TV came with AC and DC cords.
On the AC cord it reads, Output, 12V 2.0A and the polarity is correct.
Which raises a question.
There is an in-line converter ( transformer? ) on the AC cord. The DC cord has nothing ( unless there is something hidden in the lighter plug itself ). So, what regulates the Amps?
It looks like I'd be safe to use the Seiki cord on the JBL speaker, but just checking.

baglo
According to the info I found yeah 2.0a is in the range of use , as far as circuitry regulating amps on a accessory plug no but the fuse in side will blow if you put to much draw on it.

Cypher
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #10

Appears to be all good, so I'll give it a go. Means I'll be getting some value out of my investment in the TV. Had it a couple years and watched a half hour so far.