12v cigarette lighter plug in inverter question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
12v cigarette lighter plug in inverter question

Does anyone have experience with a small plug in inverter? Amazon has lots that are between 150w and 300w that claim to just plug into the cigarette lighters. I just wanted to see if anyone has actually used one of these, and if the wiring between the battery and the 12v plug is enough to run these small inverters?

I am thinking this one in particular: https://www.amazon.ca/Inverter-300Wa...0Q8JNG1QGQB154
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have used those for years to charge camera batteries and computer equipment when I was working and to charge my MacBook, cell phone and Bluetooth speakers now that I'm retired.

I have a 200 watt and 75 watt. The 75 watt cost me $9.99 on sale at Canadian Tire.

I did melt a plug once when I tried to make a second cup of coffee with a single cup Starbucks coffee maker. They no longer sell that "personal portable" coffee maker. Everything has its limit.
Attached Thumbnails
75W inverter.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 12:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Have used those for years to charge camera batteries and computer equipment when I was working and to charge my MacBook, cell phone and Bluetooth speakers now that I'm retired.

I have a 200 watt and 75 watt. The 75 watt cost me $9.99 on sale at Canadian Tire.

I did melt a plug once when I tried to make a second cup of coffee with a single cup Starbucks coffee maker. They no longer sell that "personal portable" coffee maker. Everything has its limit.
Thanks. Any issue trying to draw 200W from the cigarette lighters in the Escape?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Thanks. Any issue trying to draw 200W from the cigarette lighters in the Escape?

I'll leave that question to the electrical experts. Using a battery to make coffee or run a hair dryer requires too much power storage. I heat water on my propane stove and dry my hair with a towel and the sun.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had a 300w that worked fine for stuff like the TV or recharging the computer. I think the most I ran thru it was 90w. The fuse for my outlets is 15a, or 180w however the outlet I have is only rated to 120w. Don't know what ETI is installing, this is what I put in. In my case the max I could do is 120w, not that I tried too exceed it to find out first hand.
Attached Thumbnails
1 (374 x 598).jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
In the E19 with the batteries in the front box I would just wire a heavy duty outlet, fused, direct to the terminals or just use alligator slips. Other wise the wiring inside limits the amount of juice you can pull from the batteries. Ever notice how thick battery cables are, there is a reason.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
If your main objective is using the cigarette lighter power plug then I might consider replacing the Escape version with this: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Li.../dp/B01MUELUAD

Regardless of the rating I would be cautious drawing 200 watts. Make sure it has its own fuse, say 20 amps, to be safe.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
200 watts would be close to 20 amps @ 12V. Most 12V cigarette lighter type receptacles are rated at 10 amps, and Escape fuses their 12V circuits at 15 amps (with the exception of the larger refrigerators). While you could use a 200 watt inverter, keeping the input current under 15 amps, over 10 amps might overheat the receptacle, and at the full 200 watts, blow the circuit fuse.

The 25 amp receptacle Alan linked to above might hold up to a 200 watt load, however I doubt the plug on the inverter would. The tip connection on most of them does not survive high currents. My 200 watt inverter tells me to cut off the connector & wire it direct if I'm going to draw more than 10 amps...
Old 06-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hot

Hi Jon
All very good electrical advice as usual. The 10 amp fuse will generally keep you out of trouble is what I’ve found.
On a Scout trip years ago we had a rental van. The scouts were using the cigarette lighter socket in inverter. I was driving and not paying much attention the boys who were gaming. The radio was playing a popular tune of the day. An unfamiliar odor of melting plastic began to come from the console area. My navigator quickly jerked the plug out of the socket. Seems my genius scouts had added a splitter on a splitter to run multiple devices and had a ball of tinfoil or the like where the fuse used to be. Didn’t have to worry about that problem the rest of the trip. And on Scouts Honor this song was playing on the radio as we rocked across the upper peninsula of Michigan. https://youtu.be/OkGgdIBX1to
As they used to say “great bass line” or “ on the bottom we gotten”
Iowa Dave
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with a small plug in inverter? Amazon has lots that are between 150w and 300w that claim to just plug into the cigarette lighters. I just wanted to see if anyone has actually used one of these, and if the wiring between the battery and the 12v plug is enough to run these small inverters?

I am thinking this one in particular: https://www.amazon.ca/Inverter-300Wa...0Q8JNG1QGQB154
Aeiusny 500-watt inverter from Amazon. It even has a small solar panel option for purchase. Runs CPAP for over 3days without a charge. It has AC, DC and Solar charging options.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Jordan,
Just doing some add ons in my E19 and I have purchased the same inverter with plans to use for charging phones, bike lights and possibly short use on computer. Plan wasn't to use to capacity and only bought this one given positive reviews, company support and pure sine technology. In the accompanying user's manual they note suggested continuous load power should not exceed 100w.

I am just getting to installing after upgrading my wiring to batteries with 6awg marine wire. I installed in dinette bench 2 Blue Seas terminals, pos/neg, with less than 4 feet to batteries in front box. Thought since small inverter was to be used, I didn't need to run separate wires to battery box? For inverter install I would hard wire to these terminals with 15amp fuse protection. Inverter is less than 18" to terminals. Plan is to turn on, use then turn off.

Suggestions from others on power disconnect for storage periods? I have 15amp Blue Seas breakers and wondered if I should just wire to converter with 15amp Blue Seas breaker installed. Or with inverter, even this small, should I divorce from converter and go with plan to wire to inside power terminals.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote