12V issues - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #81
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
In my research of my trailer wiring, I came across something that I should pass along. It seems that the electrician who made the crimp connections in the breakout box near the front of the trailer for the 7 pin wiring doesn't know how to properly do this.

Look at the picture below. The crimp connectors are the wrong size for the wire so the tech just doubled the wire back on the insulation, shoved insulation and wire together into the terminal, and crimped the whole thing. In a number of the crimp connections, the crimp is made on the insulation - not the wire. I could take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the wires out of the crimp - the only thing holding the wire in the terminal was the insulation!

Look at the red and yellow top connectors - they are the most obvious! The wire in those connections is just touching the inside of the terminal - no crimp! But they were all done this way which means for me - new correctly sized crimp connectors and a redo of the breakout box.

Fred! Will there be an end to this? I'm getting leary of opening anything else!
TDF, Thanks for posting this, you are not alone I just don't understand. seems like there is only one ring terminal size, if it to big double it up, if its to small cut some off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180612_094307287.jpg   IMG_20180612_094502154.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #82

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the voltage loss due to wiring is proportional to the current, due to ohms law (volts = amps * ohms, where the ohms is the resistance of the wiring). as the charging current approaches zero, the voltage drop also approaches zero.

Yes but you forget most modern charging systems monitor the battery and reduce output reducing engine load to save fuel when they can. The remote battery is not fully in the picture so it will not get a full charge unless you want to spend some serious money on a fancy active system like this

https://www.autoelec.com.au/enerdriv...attery-charger.

Edit or run 4 AWG or larger welding cable from the vehicle battery to the trailer battery
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
TDF, Thanks for posting this, you are not alone I just don't understand. seems like there is only one ring terminal size, if it to big double it up, if its to small cut some off.

Eeee gad! Crayola electrical installation...

Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Doubling up the wire is one thing - using insulation to double with is another! It looks like the top red and green wires have insulation in the crimp like mine. I'm thinking that those lugs came with the box so that's what they used.

The studs are size #10 and the wires gauges are:
Red, brown, green, and yellow: 14 gauge
Blue: 12 gauge
White and black: 10 gauge

and the red power wire coming from the trailer (the one that you show with strands clipped) is 8 gauge.

So, it's going to take three sizes of lugs to fix this. Not a big job to do but it's one that shouldn't need to be done. Maybe Rease can get them a tray of lugs to use and do some training!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #85

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Doubling up the wire is one thing - using insulation to double with is another! It looks like the top red and green wires have insulation in the crimp like mine. I'm thinking that those lugs came with the box so that's what they used.

and the red power wire coming from the trailer (the one that you show with strands clipped) is 8 gauge.

So, it's going to take three sizes of lugs to fix this. Not a big job to do but it's one that shouldn't need to be done. Maybe Rease can get them a tray of lugs to use and do some training!
It's threads like this that make me really wish ETI would either monitor the forum or work with moderators to setup some sort of information share from the forum to provide controlled feedback. This thread is a perfect example of useful feedback for ETI from owners. Has anything like that been previously discussed?

I would like to believe that Reace is unaware of these crimps.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #86

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The photos indicate a lack of knowledge and pride in workmanship on the part of the installer
and a lack of quality control and employee training on the part of ETI
In either case it does not bode well for the long term reliability of the installation

Standard GB Disclaimer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #87

Trailer: None now
Mine looks better, I will redo the #14 wires if I proceed as they are in #10 connectors but they will work. I have 10 AWG from the 7 pin + power to the converter. I will redo that to 8 AWG when I redo the other connectors. The rewiring for brake and 7 pin + power would not really be that difficult. Use the existing wire up to the converter as the charging circuit from the vehicle. I'd fuse it while you are at it. Run another wire from the plus side of the battery through another small hole in the storage box and attach it to the + power pole. Leave that one unfused. Now you have a direct wired breakaway switch and a separate fused charging circuit. If the battery fuse blows the breakaway will still be active.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180612_174550549_HDR.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
In my research of my trailer wiring, I came across something that I should pass along. It seems that the electrician who made the crimp connections in the breakout box near the front of the trailer for the 7 pin wiring doesn't know how to properly do this.

Look at the picture below. The crimp connectors are the wrong size for the wire so the tech just doubled the wire back on the insulation, shoved insulation and wire together into the terminal, and crimped the whole thing. In a number of the crimp connections, the crimp is made on the insulation - not the wire. I could take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the wires out of the crimp - the only thing holding the wire in the terminal was the insulation!

Look at the red and yellow top connectors - they are the most obvious! The wire in those connections is just touching the inside of the terminal - no crimp! But they were all done this way which means for me - new correctly sized crimp connectors and a redo of the breakout box.

Fred! Will there be an end to this? I'm getting leary of opening anything else!
Another clear indication That ETI employee training, competency and quality control have not improved since our 2013 trailer was built. I have been chasing electrical gremlins since our purchase. A wiring diagram would be helpful although wiring color seems to change at each butt connection on the same circuit.
Frankly, I am tired of having to tow our trailer to businesses and soliciting repairs of components that could have been properly designed and assembled at the factory. Yes, I could spend $2K and drive 2K miles for factory repairs but it now would have been multiple trips to the ETI factory.
For perspective buyers, BUYER BEWARE
Frustrated in Northern Indiana
Retired ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician
Jim are you going to delete this
Old 06-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #89

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually I'm hoping Reace is following this and is making notes on corrections, I agree, the terminal crimping job was poor. Fires in our little trailers are dangerous.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually I'm hoping Reace is following this and is making notes on corrections, I agree, the terminal crimping job was poor. Fires in our little trailers are dangerous.
On edit, I have made this thread a sticky so that it remains on first page and let ETI and Reace know about the thread.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #91
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:

Agreed , I will straiten it up. hoping there's slack in the wires
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
On edit, I have made this thread a sticky so that it remains on first page and let ETI and Reace know about the thread.
Thanks for that Jim!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #93

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
A wiring diagram would be helpful although wiring color seems to change at each butt connection.
I gave up on that one a long time ago. Some will argue that ETI couldn't possibly provide a wiring diagram because of all the custom stuff.

I say that they could have a basic wiring diagram for each model. After all, every trailer they produce has the same basic items like converter, internal and external lights, fridge, furnace and range hood.

But, no matter for me now, I've replaced and rewired so much that I don't need a schematic any more.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #94

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I gave up on that one a long time ago. Some will argue that ETI couldn't possibly provide a wiring diagram because of all the custom stuff.

I say that they could have a basic wiring diagram for each model. After all, every trailer they produce has the same basic items like converter, internal and external lights, fridge, furnace and range hood.

But, no matter for me now, I've replaced and rewired so much that I don't need a schematic any more.

Ron
Not having a standard color coded wiring diagram for each model is part of their problem. Surely they use a preassembled wiring harness rather than run each wire individualy.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #95

Since Escape is known for their customizing, how would additional 12v and 120v runs impact the wiring diagram and/or wiring harness. Be careful what you wish for, it may eliminate future additional electrical changes.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #96

Quote:
Agreed , I will straiten it up. hoping there's slack in the wires
I know the crimps look bad but this situation is an easy fix. I just got back from Home Depot and now have a box of 15 10/12 ring lugs, a box of 15 14/16 ring lugs, and one 8 gauge ring lug. Total cost - $6.02.

I'll take me about a hour to redo all the wiring in the breakout box. It takes me longer as I mechanically crimp the terminals, solder, and then heat shrink.

I have not had any electrical failures on my trailer - I'm doing this for two reasons. One, I'm picky about my electrical stuff and two, this is for reliability down the road. I could wait until it failed but I think preventive maintenance is a better idea.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I have not had any electrical failures on my trailer - I'm doing this for two reasons. One, I'm picky about my electrical stuff and two, this is for reliability down the road. I could wait until it failed but I think preventive maintenance is a better idea.
I think there are a bunch of us guilty of performing tasks for reasons beyond absolute necessity. Lordy knows I have changed a heck of a lot of stuff to make improvements. Some because I felt it was a good idea, but most just because I could. Makes me feel good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think there are a bunch of us guilty of performing tasks for reasons beyond absolute necessity. Lordy knows I have changed a heck of a lot of stuff to make improvements. Some because I felt it was a good idea, but most just because I could. Makes me feel good.
Besides, what's a retired electrical engineer suppose to do with his spare time? Heh, I bet I can find something to upgrade on the trailer!

Besides, Fred asked me to look into the battery wiring. It's all his fault!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
It takes me longer as I mechanically crimp the terminals, solder, and then heat shrink.
Another one of us that crimps, solders and heat shrinks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #100

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Besides, Fred asked me to look into the battery wiring. It's all his fault!
He is bad that way, isn't he?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote