12volt or regular TV - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 19ft
12volt or regular TV

We have a 19 ft escape, that I would like to purchase a TV for. I plan on getting a 19 inch model. We have the 1500 watt inverter. Not sure if I should get a 12volt or a just a regular TV.
We do camp frequently where we will not be connected to electricity. Suggestions?
donehrlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Regular 120V TV has a converter that drops the voltage down to 12V ( ish ).
So if you go that way, you are inverting 12V from the battery to 120V and then back to 12V with loss all along the way.
So, just get a TV that comes with a 12V cord and a 120V cord.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 19ft
Do you know if I can run a regular TV off the inverter, as is when the trailer is not connected to electricity?
donehrlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by donehrlich View Post
Do you know if I can run a regular TV off the inverter, as is when the trailer is not connected to electricity?

Yes that's what we do, we also run the Jack antenna or the satellite receiver off the inverter. Works great.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
cheap 120V TV and a good inverter for the times you're not connected is what we did. Think we paid $89. we play dvd's on the TV and run the sound thru the stereo (bluetooth).

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Yes that's what we do, we also run the Jack antenna or the satellite receiver off the inverter. Works great.

Cheers
Doug
The Jack antenna is 12v already, no inverter needed.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Jack antenna is 12v already, no inverter needed.

You know you need to go camping when you forget these things Jim. I must be going through withdrawal. LOL

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

other than a/c, everything else can be 12v....
Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
other than a/c, everything else can be 12v....
... except the (optional) electric element in the water heater, which can't (reasonably) be 12V but doesn't need to be since it would logically be run on propane when shore power is not available. Oh, and the microwave can't run on 12V DC, and although you can run it on an inverter you wouldn't want to for very long.

I assume that the point is that the list of stuff built into the trailer which can't run directly on 12V DC is pretty short, and consists entirely of optional equipment or modes of appliance operation that you don't need:
  • air conditioner
  • microwave oven (can run on inverter)
  • electric element of water heater (use propane when not on shore power)
  • 120V AC element of refrigerator (use 12V DC or proane when towing, propane when camped without shore power)

Most stuff you might plug in can be arranged to run on 12V DC without an inverter, with the notable exception of appliances with big motors (blender) or with heating elements (kettle, space heater, hair dryer...)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'm currently using an Insignia (Best Buy house brand) TV in my trailer. When I'm home it uses an external power supply that plugs into house current and supplies 12V to the TV. I leave the power supply at home and use an adapter to plug the TV into 12V in my trailer when traveling. It works okay.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #11

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
teli

We have been camping and used a 150 watt inverter to power up a 110volt 24inch TV/DVD and it played fine . We had forgotten the 400 watt. inverter . 1500 watts will power the new style tv's easily .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 21C
When Camping in the boonies not near any cities can you pick up any reception from the Jack antenna? I am trying to decide if I should get the Jack antenna or not. Most of the time I will camp in National Parks, Provincial Parks or National Forest camps away from cities. I do like to watch TV in the evening and am getting the 1500 watt inverter and will take dvd's to watch. Is it worth getting the Jack antenna for the rare times I camp at a full hookup near town?
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #13

If you camp with hookups you will more than likely have CG cable and internet, so I'd drop the Jack. I have only used mine less than 1/2 dozen times in 2 years, just get the cable ready option.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We used a boosted (to 60 mile radius) "leaf" antenna, for watching the super bowl the other night. Taped it to the window with painter's tape.

Here's a pic. And, FWIW, even though our box says 60 miles, all the ads online say 50.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 02-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I was going to order the Jack antenna with our 19 Escape and decided against it since I am planning on putting two solar panels on the roof at a later date and the Jack antenna is right where I plan on putting the second solar panel. I am going to try the leaf antenna idea and if that does not work I will just pop in a dvd when boon-docking.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We used a boosted (to 60 mile radius) "leaf" antenna, for watching the super bowl the other night. Taped it to the window with painter's tape.

Here's a pic. And, FWIW, even though our box says 60 miles, all the ads online say 50.
Are you pleased with its performance, Mary?

Right now we never watch TV when camping, but I would bet once we do more extended trips, it would be used more. I really do not like the look of the Jack mounted on top, or the fact it takes up space, and would much prefer if there was a more portable antenna that would do the trick.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 21C
How far away from a town were you when you used your leaf antenna for the SUPER BOWL? It sounds very interesting. Portable and easy to set up when needed is ideal. Thanks for the great info Mary.
Don't want to put holes in the roof for an antenna that won't work for the boonies.
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #18

Trailer: egg camper 2007
All antennas are line of sight. If you have to many objects between you and the transmitting tower they don't work very well.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wonder if flexible antennas, such as the Leaf, could be mounted to the inside of the fiberglass shell (but directly to it, outside of materials such as insulation with a metallic layer) and connected together to provide reception from all directions. It would be nice to have nothing external, and not have to aim or position antennas.

Some recent TV antennas look too small - I suspect that they are really intended for the lower UHF channels (upper UHF channels have been taken away from TV service), rather than any of the VHF bands. That's fine as long as all the stations you want are in the UHF band, and that's not the case in many places; half my local stations at home are VHF.

Like others selling TV antennas, the Mohu people bill the Leaf as somehow "digital" or "high definition"; it is not, the antenna is an analog device and is not specific to digital TV. If you have an old TV antenna from the analog broadcast era, it continues to work just as well (or poorly ) now that broadcasts are digital.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From everything I've read, you need to be close enough to an unobstructed signal, that you're likely camped in a RV Resort with cable.