17b Build Sheet for LarryandLiz - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
17b Build Sheet for LarryandLiz

We have a few days before sign-off of the Buildsheet. Any advise, comments are welcome. Specially if something looks wrong.

This is the list .... I've noted some of our rationale below the list.

3 Burner Stainless Steel Stove & Range hood
4.3 cut Fridge
3 - Additional 12V Int. Outlet (p) Rear dinette, drvrs side b/s 120V end of kitchen ctr., entry door side of wardrobe just below ctr, frt drvr's side in o/h shelf.
Additional Set LED Brake Lights (Horizontal)
Additional Opening Window over sink
Air Conditioner (11,000 BTU)
2 - Aluminum Rims
Bike Rack Ready
Opening Window in Bathroom
Dual 6V Batteries
Dual Propane Package
Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter
2 - Way Hot Water Tank
Gaucho Bunk Ready
Hitch Wheel
LED Interior Light Package
LED Exterior Porch Light (Passenger Side Only)
LED Captains Reading Lamps Driver's Side over Pillows
Permanent Bed (Plan B)
Removable Power Cord
2 - Shelves in Wardrobe Closet
Storage Box
Stainless Steel Sink & Chrome Faucet
Stove Cover
Surge Protector
Thermal Windows & Extra Insulation
TV Ready with 120V Outlet
160W Solar Panel with Monitor
Spray Foam Insulation for Under Trailer
Starter Kit
Water Filter
Custom Formica Mineral Jet - 3450-RD
Custom Fabric: Sunbrella Mainstreet Latte 42048-0009
Custom flooring Armstrong Kline in gray

Battleship Gray graphic will look nice with the grey frontier
No Front Graphic

- decided the bed would stay down so why not make it permanent since it will be mostly Liz and I. Gaucho ready for grand kids
- no inverter ( we'll adapt)
- no microwave - we had a stick built for over 10 years without one
We don't want to watch TV but got it TV ready for resale
- no stereo wiring since technology changes so much, we'll listen through iPod speakers and watch movies via our MacBook Pro
-the biggest decision may have been to go with 17b rather than 19 but decided to stay smaller
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Hi Larry

In our 17B we had the dinette as usual at the back and ordered a mattress to fit the area. When using it as a permanent bed I used a piece of plywood, as the filler in place of the table, and had a large drawer attached to it to access the storage under the bed. This way the trailer could be used with a dinette if needed but I still had the option of a mattress and full time bed for comfort.

You mentioned the grand kids; the front table would be rather small if all three or four of you were stuck inside on a rainy day without the option of using the rear dinette at those times.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd add the digital thermostat, it will control both the furnace and a/c automatically. I believe it costs around $150. I'd add E-Z lube axles. Two more items, toilet shut off valve and a E-Z- winterizing set up for the pump to pull antifreeze if you winterize.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #4

Quick ? Jim
If we want to add these items do we need to run around ourselves to buy them ?
Or is it a merely adding an item to the build sheet?

I'll ask my retired wife to do some forum research about your suggested items(since I still have a day job) but we r getting close to our sign off date. I can guess what the axle and e/z winterizing additions are for, but why would I need a toilet shut off valve? Escapes r supposed to be super well made and all that? Liz was reading about the digital furnace/ac (she is the mechanical one

Barry thank for your post. We don't camp in the rain with grand kids . They may only be with us 3 or 4 times total over the years. So we thot more about ourselves then them. Also probably will get a stand alone screen room for eating outside in the rain with grand kids. We did consider resale and impact on having the permanent bed, but decided to build the thing mostly for us rather than for resale.

We kind of like this little door to the big cabinet
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...icture790.html but this build sheet is getting tooooo big
Old 05-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #5

ETI can/will install the toilet and E-Z winterizing, both were done on my unit. The reason for the toilet valve is in case of a leak from freezing or what ever, that you can still use the trailer with water without having water run all over your bath floor, until you can get the leak fixed. You only activate it if needed. It has happened to a couple of members here, due to improper winterizing and draining of the toilet water line.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I opted for the 3 burner stove 4 years ago and have yet to use it. All our cooking is done outdoors. That said, we are just late Spring to early Fall campers. YMMV.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
ETI can/will install the toilet and E-Z winterizing, both were done on my unit. The reason for the toilet valve is in case of a leak from freezing or what ever, that you can still use the trailer with water without having water run all over your bath floor, until you can get the leak fixed. You only activate it if needed. It has happened to a couple of members here, due to improper winterizing and draining of the toilet water line.
I had asked for the toilet shutoff valve addition for my 19' completed this past January and Reace no longer installed the valve as an option. From what I understand, and have confirmed by looking at my trailer, he is now using flex line to connect the toilet to the water supply so he believes a shut off valve isn't needed.
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 FJ Cruiser - Deposit on 2014 19' October 2014 Delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
-the biggest decision may have been to go with 17b rather than 19 but decided to stay smaller
My friend called in to ETI today and changed her order from a 19 to a 17B. Delivery date was moved to January 2015. I have a deposit on a 19 for October delivery but I keep going back to the 17B. I like the option of the Gaucho. Trying to decide if I would like that more than the queen bed in the 19 that would always be done.

Your build sheet and what I would have are about the same. Mine is not due until August 1, so I have time to decide.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

You could always make the front into a permanent bed in the 19 and make the rear into a "U" shaped dinette. Several members did that.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 FJ Cruiser - Deposit on 2014 19' October 2014 Delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You could always make the front into a permanent bed in the 19 and make the rear into a "U" shaped dinette. Several members did that.
I thought about that when I saw the "U" shaped dinette.

I'm glad I have some time to think about it. My ideas seem to change every day.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I was willing to buy a new tow vehicle, I would go with the 19 for the extra 4" width in the aisle ( so you can pass somebody working in the kitchen area ) and for the four seat dinette ( we leave the bed at the rear as a bed, leaving only a two person dinette in the front ).
Any time we're with another couple who have a 19', we end up in their trailer for dinner or cards in inclement weather.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Larry & Liz,
I think your build sheet is terrific. Is the gaucho bunk ready different from the gaucho bunk? We are interested in the gaucho bunk option but would prefer to have the regular front dinette setup without the back rest gaucho cushion against the front wall and only take when needed, otherwise leave it home.
Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob2014 View Post
Larry & Liz,
I think your build sheet is terrific. Is the gaucho bunk ready different from the gaucho bunk? We are interested in the gaucho bunk option but would prefer to have the regular front dinette setup without the back rest gaucho cushion against the front wall and only take when needed, otherwise leave it home.
Maureen
Of course the caveat to my answer is that I could be wrong (I may be an idiot pretending to be someone buying a 17b etc) and you really should get your answer from ETI. That being said here goes:

We want the option to take our grand kids (when it doesn't rain out camping). However putting in the gaucho means we would loose a few inches over by the dinette plus you have the gaucho slab up against the front end. We don't want that since the kiddies won't be with us very often at all.

Gaucho ready costs 50.00 and are built in little supports to hold the bunk. When we decide we want the gaucho bunk we slip out to ETI with the extra custom material we've purchased and the factory will put in the bunk and make the necessary adjustments to store the bunk against the front wall. Going out to ETI may not be an option for people living a great distance from the factory. But we are less than an hour from ETI so it works for us.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
I had asked for the toilet shutoff valve addition for my 19' completed this past January and Reace no longer installed the valve as an option. From what I understand, and have confirmed by looking at my trailer, he is now using flex line to connect the toilet to the water supply so he believes a shut off valve isn't needed.
Liz emailed ETI and it is still an option. Perhaps overkill but only $25 which when considering the total cost of this project seems like nothing.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If I was willing to buy a new tow vehicle, I would go with the 19 for the extra 4" width in the aisle ( so you can pass somebody working in the kitchen area ) and for the four seat dinette ( we leave the bed at the rear as a bed, leaving only a two person dinette in the front ).
Any time we're with another couple who have a 19', we end up in their trailer for dinner or cards in inclement weather.
Glen. Liz and I went around and around between the 17b and 19. I bet for many people that is the biggest issue. We finally decided to stay small for a variety of reasons: lighter, smaller trailer. I think it will be easier to navigate through cities, easier on the highways for us since we have never towed (we had a stick trailer at Cultus for years but never towed it ourselves. It leaked and now we want an egg). We decided to stick with the original vision of having something small enough not to be a huge bother but something with a bed we wouldn't have to put up and down, eat in and bathroom. Open highways here we come. I can hardly wait to retire but have maybe 2 1/2 years to go. Till then it is vacations and wknds.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #16

Thanks Jim for your suggestions. We've added the toilet shut off valve, the EZ winterize to the sheet (costs total of 60.00). We'll add the digital thermostat when Liz confirms with ETI that we won't have the AC knobs protruding from the unit. We are skipping on the easy lube wheels cause we are so close to ETI that we will be getting the factory to do all the maintainence (plus I suck at mechanics and Liz would probably not want to do it).
Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Hi Larry & Liz,
Did you give any thought to a battery isolator switch?
Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17B
One thing to think about is getting the two burner stove and then having it rotated 90 degrees. This option give you a little more counter space.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob2014 View Post
Hi Larry & Liz,
Did you give any thought to a battery isolator switch?
Maureen
I didn't know that such a thing existed much less gave one any thought.

I did a bit of web searching using the phrase. Nothing showed up on my Escape forum search. It looks like something we can do later. I think we may be experiencing trailer research fatigue.

Can you help understand what it does.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
One thing to think about is getting the two burner stove and then having it rotated 90 degrees. This option give you a little more counter space.
We thought about that but learned the large burner is near the wall, so Liz nixed that idea. Plus we went to the BC EGG Rally this wknd in FT Langley and saw some nice couple's 17b escape that had a 3 burner which they like. So we r staying with the three burner.