17B Jack point - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
17B Jack point

Question: If I were wanting to learn to do my own packing of bearings and brake adjustments, where would I place a jack with a 17B high lift axle and extra foam insulation? I'm assuming I will need to put the jack on a stack of wood too since it's a long way up there!

Is there already a thread you can point me to? I get so distracted every time I do a search.

Thanks in advance,
Linda
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can repack your own bearings, but when you are done you will have a half gallon of solvent ( gasoline ) full of dirty grease to dispose of legally. I've only done it once, which left me with the nagging doubt that I'd done it right ( that was on my tent trailer ).
Any garage mechanic can do the work and they will have a solvent tank and compressed air to clean the old bearings.
I would build a relationship with a local garage and let them do it.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Question: If I were wanting to learn to do my own packing of bearings and brake adjustments, where would I place a jack with a 17B high lift axle and extra foam insulation? I'm assuming I will need to put the jack on a stack of wood too since it's a long way up there!

Is there already a thread you can point me to? I get so distracted every time I do a search.

Thanks in advance,
Linda
This might help - see posts 9 & 10
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post236135
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I would build a relationship with a local garage and let them do it.
I need to do that. I called to get an appointment at a local trailer place and they said you drop it off, they give you a quote and then they work on it and the process takes 8 to 9 days. Any RV places around here take even longer. I have an RV place a mile away that won't work on any unit they didn't sell so I go to one that's 26 miles away. They're really nice and have fixed my refrigerator door twice since it keeps falling off but I travel a lot and don't have the time right now to wait!

I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow with my brother helping me if needed and if I get into trouble I'll call around on Monday. At least I have all the parts I might need and I might not find that at a local garage.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Thank you!!
Old 05-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

That part in post #10 about jacking the trailer must be new in the manual since it's not in mine.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
That part in post #10 about jacking the trailer must be new in the manual since it's not in mine.
Yeah - that's what I ran into too - not in the manual that I got wih the trailer. Didn't know I should have downloaded the newer version, and hated that Reace wasted his time responding to my question since it's addressed in the new manual. In any case, for the single axle trailers you just need to position the jack centered under the flat flange that is welded to the frame and drops down and has the axle bolted to it - the one with the 2 big huge horizontal bolts.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:20 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
I need to do that. I called to get an appointment at a local trailer place and they said you drop it off, they give you a quote and then they work on it and the process takes 8 to 9 days. Any RV places around here take even longer. I have an RV place a mile away that won't work on any unit they didn't sell so I go to one that's 26 miles away. They're really nice and have fixed my refrigerator door twice since it keeps falling off but I travel a lot and don't have the time right now to wait!
I use my car mechanic for the trailer bearings.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #9

It's a done deal. Not hard at all but then there's the worry that the first one might not be done as well as the second one.

I did have to resort to part of a backup plan when I couldn't get the seals out. The local Firestone two miles away is open on Sundays and I just took the whole hub to them to pop it out, then repeated that for the other side. Didn't charge me but I tipped him.

And I also had a trip to the store to buy another box of nitrile gloves.

Not sure if I will do it again myself, at least not on a hot day, but I have a trip tomorrow and reading the forum got me all worried that I was long overdue for this. They actually looked fine, no grease leakage, and one side had some fresh grease in it. They must have squirted some in when I went for new tires is all I can think.

Thank you for your help!