17B Refrigerator Choice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
17B Refrigerator Choice

Ann and I are at the build sheet stage and need to make a decision on the standard 3 cubic ft. vs optional 4 cubic ft. refrigerator. We would love to hear from the folks that actually own a 17B with the 4 cubic foot refrigerator. How has that worked out for you? Photos would be great as they seem to be nonexistent. I've read through the earlier thread (started in 2016), but the option was so new at the time that there didn't seem to be any true experiences with the upgrade. We are leaning towards the 4 cubic ft. option, as a roomier fridge is quite appealing, although we are also concerned about the loss of isle space. FYI, it will just be the two of us and a dog. We plan to have the permanent bed as a replacement to the rear dinette.

Thanks in advance, Ian & Ann
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
Having had both the original "upgraded" Dometic gravity fridge and a recently added NovaKool compressor fridge, I would certainly opt for the latter. Compressor fridge uses a fraction of the power of the gravity fridge and cools much quicker. The only downside is that you can't run it on propane. If you want more info on the NovaKool fridge, do a search on this forum.
Good luck!!
Old 07-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I have the 4 cubic foot. I had the 3 in my 15. I love the bigger fridge, totally. And like the flush door (though the microwave isn't flush so it isn't 100% an improvement there.) Downside is that it pops the cabinet out a little bit more so the aisle by the sink is narrower. Worth it, though. I'll check for a picture and if I don't have one, take one.

Why do I like it? It holds a lot more. The door slots are sturdier, too. Freezer is bigger (holds upright pints of Ben and Jerry's. )
Attached Thumbnails
fridge and microwavea.jpg   fridge biga.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
We have both the permanent bed and the 4 cu ft fridge options in our 2018 17B and are very happy with both. There is a slightly narrower centre aisle but to us the trade-off is worth it. Have never had the standard 3 cu ft fridge to compare to but can't imagine having a smaller fridge. The larger fridge has more than enough room for just the two of us for, say, a 4-5 night trip, as well as extra for when our adult kids come along and stay in a tent. As to the permanent bed the only downsides are it's a little short for me (5'11") but that wouldn't change anyway with the convertible dinette, and if the weather's poor and we have guests it would be nice to have a larger dinette available. Wouldn't trade off the bed in the 17 for the rare need for a larger dinette, but it does give me 2footitis and makes me dream of having a 19 someday (but not my wife).

Lawrence
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

I left mine as a dinette but use it as a permanent bed. (Haven't installed the post for the table.)
Old 07-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #6

Trailer: August 2017 17b
I have a 2017 17B with 4ft fridge. Haven't had anything else, but have-not experienced any down side to the choice. Hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
We have a 2020 17B with the 4 cu ft fridge and am pleased with it. We have only used AC, not propane to power it so far.
Congrats on your future 17B.
Corgbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #8

Thanks all, especially Bobbie54 for the photos. It sounds like the decreased aisle width is not a problem, even with two people?
Old 07-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Thanks all, especially Bobbie54 for the photos. It sounds like the decreased aisle width is not a problem, even with two people?
Even with two... Refrigerator area aside, when camping with a friend, we sometimes take turns in the aisle, and sometimes not. ....And I have to step over my huge sap of a dog - but she lays in my path in a roomy house, as well

I've no regret re having a 17B, nor the 4ft fridge.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Good to hear, thanks.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #11

I have a ramp for Sadie in front of the fridge- it's only 9 inches wide but I still have room. Another person might be tougher but you just move out of each other's way, The bigger fridge is worth it.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 17B
Hi I am needing to replace my Dometic RM2510 from my 2011 Escape 17B. It looks like you may have done the same? Width is an issue as the 2011 has only a 22" door opening to the trailer. Can you tell me what model of compressor fridge you put in and if it would fit into the 22" door frame? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for my replacement? Thank you!
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworainy View Post
Having had both the original "upgraded" Dometic gravity fridge and a recently added NovaKool compressor fridge, I would certainly opt for the latter. Compressor fridge uses a fraction of the power of the gravity fridge and cools much quicker. The only downside is that you can't run it on propane. If you want more info on the NovaKool fridge, do a search on this forum.
Good luck!!
Which model NovaKool did you use?
Old 07-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #14

Went with a NovaKool R3800. Was the best of all worlds: fit through the door, largest size before jumping up to the next power draw, cools incredibly quickly, freezer works, cools even through serious heat but the dual 6V batteries lasted over 4 days without recharge. Great value. Built in Coquitlam, BC, just down the road from the ETI factory.
We chose the AC/DC version, but the DC version would probably suffice.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
When we created our build sheet for our 17B we decided right away that we wanted the 4 CF fridge, because that's what we had in our Scamp and it seemed just right for us.
The bed was also bigger than the 44" bed in our Scamp, but once my wife saw that the 19' had a queen sized bed our build sheet changed to a 19'.
As for the fridge in the 19', we stuck with the standard, which was 5 CF and it works fine for us.
I don't believe the compressor fridge that is mentioned is currently available in the 17B, but if we got a compressor fridge we would have opted for 2 solar panels instead of one, since they do need more electricity than the propane fridges, and camping in the South in the winter it's hard to capture much solar due to shorter days and lower sun on the horizon.
Enjoy the 17B! We had that in mind first and I'm sure we would have loved it as much as we love our 19.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #16

The NovaKool R3800 uses only 2.2A when running, and that isn't all the time, just like your household fridge. We only use 180W portable solar, and have not run into any issues.

Very odd that ETI has a compressor manufacturer less than 50 miles away, yet don't use them. Winnebago uses NovaKool, and they're a lot further away!!
Old 07-19-2021, 10:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17A
We like the 4 cubic foot fridge

We have a 17A with a permanent bed in back and agonized between the 3 ft fridge vs the 4. We went with the 4 and are glad we did. Lots of fridge space for a longer, trip. The freezer is large enough to carry lots of antelope and deer steaks for a longer trip. Plus ice cream while camping! It does make the aisle narrower, but I don't think that changes much, there's pretty much room for just one person at a time either way.
Good luck with your new rig!
bobekey6@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 E19
I'd really like to have a compressor fridge in my 17B (on order), if only they offered one. They offer the option on the 19', but I don't think I can afford a 19' (and I want to sleep up front anyway).

My question for you 17' owners is, what are your experiences with the cooling ability of your 3 or 4 cu ft fridges in 90*-100*F temperatures?

Oh, and have you had any trouble keeping the pilot light from blowing out while driving? In my previous KZ with 3 cu ft fridge, this and the poor cooling were constant problems.

Tags
17b option choices, 4 cubic foot, fridge, refrigerator