19' Escape measurement question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
19' Escape measurement question

I've got a (weird) question that perhaps an owner of a 19' Escape could answer for me. Our former 17' Casita will be replaced next March with a brand new 19' Escape. We are expanding the fenced area in our back yard to accommodate the highly anticipated new arrival. My question is this: what is the distance from the spare tire to the rear wheels of the trailer. I'm curious to know if I need to increase the existing cement pad.
This forum is remarkable in its ability to provide useful information - and knowing this measurement would sure be helpful to me.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I put a 1 x 3 flat on the ground against the rear tire and measured from the front edge to level with the back of the spare tire. Looks pretty close to 6' by eyeball and without putting a straight edge across the tire and out to the edge.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmut View Post
I've got a (weird) question that perhaps an owner of a 19' Escape could answer for me.......
I'm curious to know if I need to increase the existing cement pad.
Not really weird, a good question asked for an understandable reason.

Just a thought. Not sure if you are planning on pouring more concrete but it might be a lot less expensive, faster, and easier to get 24-inch square patio stones from Home Depot/Lowe's/Walmart if you need to extend the pad only a little.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Just a thought. Not sure if you are planning on pouring more concrete but it might be a lot less expensive, faster, and easier to get 24-inch square patio stones from Home Depot/Lowe's/Walmart if you need to extend the pad only a little.
Let's leave the "easier" part out of your answer. I just hefted 10 of those suckers into position in the back yard. Easier was not a word that came to mind.

Actually, with the 19 having tandem axles, I was wondering how much the overhang difference would be compared to the previous single axle. Might not be all that much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
thank you

Thanks Ron and Carl. From the picture at the Escape website, six feet seems about right - which will work out just fine.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Let's leave the "easier" part out of your answer. I just hefted 10 of those suckers into position in the back yard. Easier was not a word that came to mind.
Ron, sorry. I meant easier in terms of not having to construct a frame, and then have to "finish" the surface of newly poured concrete. Yea, weight wise, those things are definitely not easy to move around.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
We are working on our build sheet for the 19. Would like to know the dept of the counter, also the meisurement of the dept underneath that allows for build in appliances/sink.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Actually, with the 19 having tandem axles, I was wondering how much the overhang difference would be compared to the previous single axle. Might not be all that much.
If the trailers were the same length (but the Escape is 2 feet longer), and if the proportions were the same so that the tongue weight percentage is the same, then the midpoint between the Escape's axles would be in the same place as the single axle of the Casita. With the axles a little over two feet apart the overhang from trailing tire patch to the bumper would be about a foot less than the single-axle trailer.

Between different proportions (the Casita 17 is very long in the front, like the Escape 17), the tandem configuration reducing the rear overhang, and the extra trailer length, I'm not surprised that it's roughly a wash.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote