19 inch tv - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

19 inch tv

Hello to everyone. I just took delivery of my new 17B Escape. It is fabulous (I was a Casita owner previously). Right now I'm trying it out, checking how everything works etc. I have a question which someone might be able to help me with. I have had a 19" tv mounted on a swivel arm to the side of the fridge / microwave cabinet. Is it really necessary to dismont the tv every time I go out on the road. Reace advised me to do so, but I'm not sure if he was safeguarding the mount or the tv. What do the rest of you typically do. Is there any way to leave the tv mounted while driving or is it a MUST DO that it be dismounted. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Re: 19 inch tv

Congratulations and welcome. I for one have not tried using a fastener system, but I think others have. I just take it down and put it in the cupboard (wardrobe) , but I'm thinking about just putting it under the bed covers.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: gabe...and welcome!!! We have a 19" flat screen Toshiba TV and it is mounted to the wall at the foot of the bed. The wall was reinforced by Reace and the arm installed before we bought the trailer. It has a slide gate type lock that holds it securely to the wall for travel. We have towed 6000+ km's this summer and no problemo!!! The TV stays put and we just unlock it and swing out as necessary. Here's some pics!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
ready to tow.jpg   wall flower.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #4

Thank you Sandra L. and Escape Artist. I could just take it down and lie it out on the bed, but I think I'm going to rig up some kind of latch system to hold it steady against the wall..............what's to lose...............except my tv..............and maybe a chunk of the wall, but I'm an optimist!!!!
gabe
Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #5

We just use a bungie cord to hold ours to stop it from extending out.. works well..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #6

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

I too thought about leaving our 19" tv on the latch while we towed on our recent trip. However, I opted to be safe and take it down & lay it on the queen bed in our 19. Turns out it wasn't all that inconvenient as there is only a single knob to unscrew in order to take it down. We figure that since it isn't a big effort, we'll keep doing that for now.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B!
Hi Alf,
I too will be having Reace reinforce a wall and install an extending arm for my 19" Toshiba TV/DVD. Is the "slide gate type lock that holds it securely to the wall" already part of the arm purchased from Escape or are you referring to something additional? When I tried to explain it to Tammy, she wasn't sure what it was. Do you happen to have a picture of the locking device you could post?
Thank you
Carol R
2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 15A!
Carol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol R View Post
Hi Alf,
I too will be having Reace reinforce a wall and install an extending arm for my 19" Toshiba TV/DVD. Is the "slide gate type lock that holds it securely to the wall" already part of the arm purchased from Escape or are you referring to something additional? When I tried to explain it to Tammy, she wasn't sure what it was. Do you happen to have a picture of the locking device you could post?
Thank you
Carol R
2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 15A!
Hi: Carol R...Here's a pic of the TV lock. I believe it's a cabinet lock from Lee Valley Tools. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
gatelock open.jpg   gatelock closed.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Aha, I see :>) Did Reace install that at the same time he mounted the tv extension arm or did you buy the lock from Lee Valley Tools and install it some time after you bought your 5.0?
Thank you so much for your response and pictures!
Carol R

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 15A!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol R View Post
Aha, I see :>) Did Reace install that at the same time he mounted the tv extension arm or did you buy the lock from Lee Valley Tools and install it some time after you bought your 5.0?
Thank you so much for your response and pictures!
Carol R

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 15A!
Hi: Carol R... These questions I can't answer as we bought our rig used. I do know Reace reinforced the wall so the TV arm could be installed there. I believe the previous owners did the rest. The only thing we didn't get was the actual TV. I purchased it after owning the trailer for a year and mounted it to the arm. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
Escapes on fire.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #11

tv mount

the best way to deal with the mount situation is to take the tv out of the wall mount and lay it on the bed . regardless of how well the mount is reinforced the constant pounding while travelling will loosen the screws and eventually it will drop off the mount. it only takes a minute to slide the tv back onto the mount. that is providing the tv has the capability of having a wall mount screwed to the back of it. this will allow it to slide into the wall mount very easily.
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Congratulations, Gabe! Welcome to the club. Hope we can see some photos.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #13

Thank you anyway. Your information & pictures have been very helpful.

Carol R
2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 15A!

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 17B!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
TV in trailer

I had both sides of the fridge cabinet re-enforced during the build of our 17B. I have a Sharp 19" TV but found it too big for my liking - the TV, when folded back against the cabinet would still protrude out. I purchased an AC/DC Seiki Lcd TV from London Drugs last year and find it's more than adequate for the size of the trailer plus it folds back completely within the depth of the cabinet. I replaced the mount Escape had provided with one I liked better. If, for some reason I needed to take the bigger screen, it's a quick change out. We also have the larger fridge so the smaller cabinet above it holds my Blu-ray player and other accessories. My husband finds this works great as he likes to sit at the large dinette and watch fly-tying Dvds while tying flies. I like that the TV folds back so you don't have to contort yourself to sit on that side of the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2122.jpg   IMGP2121.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Carrying the tv in a sterilite box

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorris View Post
the best way to deal with the mount situation is to take the tv out of the wall mount and lay it on the bed . regardless of how well the mount is reinforced the constant pounding while travelling will loosen the screws and eventually it will drop off the mount. it only takes a minute to slide the tv back onto the mount. that is providing the tv has the capability of having a wall mount screwed to the back of it. this will allow it to slide into the wall mount very easily.
When we picked up our 17b, Dave suggested we carry the tv in its box laying on the floor under the dinette/rear bed. That worked fine until I left the box with its open end facing forward, and we came down the pass on the north side of Yellowstone park. Somewhere along the way, the TV came out of the box and slid across the trailer floor. Luckily, the only damage was a few minor scratches to the bezel.

So we got a plastic sterilite box that is a bit bigger than the tv, and covered the bottom of it with some non slip shelf liner. Now it is safe on the floor (can't fall any farther) and won't slide around.

I used to have mixed feelings about having a TV in a camping trailer. A couple of rainy evenings on the Oregon cost cured me of that.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote