19 tire pressure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
19 tire pressure

This morning, we headed out on a short 3 day trip to make sure all is well before we head out for the entire month of July. Trying my best to be diligent, I checked the tire pressure before pulling out.

Since suffer from OA/CRS, I couldn't remember the correct tire pressure. I'm remembering that at orientation, they said 55 PSI. I checked the manual and it pointed me to get the pressure off of the tire. The tire says max pressure is 65 so that's what I set them to.

What's the correct pressure?

Thanks,

Dan

PS:. OA (Old Age). CRS (Can't Remember Sh#@)
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Oh boy, tire pressure is one of those questions that generates a range of highly opinionated and vociferous answers, much like what you’ll get to “What’s the best tug for a <insert trailer model here> trailer?”

My own moderately opinionated answer is inflate to the max pressure indicated on the tire, unless this produces a too-bouncy ride. My reasoning is that tires’ maximum load rating is when inflated to maximum pressure, so reduced pressure equals reduced load capacity. Higher pressure also affects tread wear and tire performance. Note that my “max is best” position only applies to trailers and not passenger vehicles. The rules there are different, mostly due to adverse impacts to handling at too high pressures.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
I agree, it's one of those topics. I guess I should have asked if anyone remembers what ETI says TP should be set to.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On all my trailers (down to 3 right now) I have always ran ST tires inflated to max pressure. My tire shop manager suggests this. Nothing wrong has ever happened doing so. The ride is much better too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
a tires maximum pressure is for the maximum load that tire supports. the correct pressure for the tire is based on the maximum axle load divided by 2, and is the manufacturer's recommended pressure, this is true for all tire brands and types of the same or similar sizes.

the high load range tires, like "E" can hold more pressure in order to support more weight. at 50PSI they hold the same as a load range "C" at 50psi.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
This morning, we headed out on a short 3 day trip to make sure all is well before we head out for the entire month of July. Trying my best to be diligent, I checked the tire pressure before pulling out.

Since suffer from OA/CRS, I couldn't remember the correct tire pressure. I'm remembering that at orientation, they said 55 PSI. I checked the manual and it pointed me to get the pressure off of the tire. The tire says max pressure is 65 so that's what I set them to.

What's the correct pressure?

Our 2018 19 came with Rainier ST tires in load range D which is 65psi max. The VIN plate on the trailer has 50psi for the tires which is the max pressure for range C tires. I emailed ETI and received an email from Reace in which he said they still recommend 50psi even for the D tires because the load is not heavy enough to warrant the higher pressure and harder tires. So... I will follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Which manufacturer, trailer or tire?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Typically the trailer/vehicle manufacturer is the one to follow, assuming they are within specs of the tires. The sidewall pressure is maximum tire pressure and required to get maximum load capacity. If the trailer weight is under the maximum tire load capacity then a lower pressure can be used to soften the ride. The pressure/load tables are usually provided by the tire manufacturers.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trail...nflation-chart
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

I'm going with Reace's recommendation which is also what is on the VIN plate (giving the benefit of the doubt that ETI knows what is best for its product).

I do not see the load getting so high that the additional pressure would be needed. That being said - the trailer is new to me and I will see how this goes and adjust based on my observations (i.e. is 50psi too soft, 55psi better, tread wear, etc.).
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I split the difference.
55lbs
Old 06-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I too usually run my tires at or near their max inflation pressure, but I have changed with our new Goodyear Endurance tires. I ran them at 65psi for a short weekend trip and found that the “rolling earthquake” effect (as Donna correctly calls it) was significant. We just returned from a 2900 mile trip with the tires at 55psi and found that the trailer towed well and the earthquake effect was greatly reduced. The 65 psi allows a load limit of 2150 per tire and with our 19 being well under this we don’t need to inflate for the max tire load rating. Our tire dealer said to try it at 65 psi to start and to drop as low as 50 psi without issue for a trailer of our weight if we liked how it towed better. We found that 55 worked well for us so we will stay with that even though this is a little higher than the 50 psi we were told at orientation.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As explained by the manager at Fountain Tire, the tire shop I use, ST tires are not designed to flex with bumps the same way that passenger vehicle tires do. He says that with trailers, the suspension is meant to absorb any effects of the road surface, and even at 40 psi given their construction, they are still not very flexible.. The charts always shown are a minimum pressure, not a recommended pressure.

I will continue to go with his recommendations, which is the same as pretty much any tire shop manager, to be at or near max pressure. Has worked for me with many hundreds of thousands of miles towing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
According to Escape, their new tires are Rainier ST205/75 R15 ST tires with load rating of "C" which is 6 plies. The tire is 23.3 did/8" wide, 2150# capacity @ 65 psi
Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
According to Escape, their new tires are Rainier ST205/75 R15 ST tires with load rating of "C" which is 6 plies. The tire is 23.3 did/8" wide, 2150# capacity @ 65 psi

I guess we got lucky - the tires on our 2018 19 are load range D tires 8 ply rating (I looked at them closely before my prior post). Load Range C is sufficient for a 19 Escape but it does not hurt to have the higher rated tires.

Maybe we were in the transition phase to the new brand. It is very difficult to keep up with Escape's standard features because they keep improving along the way rather than focus on model year. We do not have the new exterior furnace hatch - would have liked that improvement.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
I guess we got lucky - the tires on our 2018 19 are load range D tires 8 ply rating (I looked at them closely before my prior post). Load Range C is sufficient for a 19 Escape but it does not hurt to have the higher rated tires.

Maybe we were in the transition phase to the new brand. It is very difficult to keep up with Escape's standard features because they keep improving along the way rather than focus on model year. We do not have the new exterior furnace hatch - would have liked that improvement.
I wouldn't call moving from a well known established tire company/model to a virtually unknown model an improvement. Maybe they will turn out to be solid tires, but we don't know at this point. The best thing you can say about the new tires at this point is they are an unknown, so not an obvious "China Bomb", although they are made in China. The fact that most Elkhart brands are using them isn't an endorsement and would imply its a cost savings I wouldn't run a tire like that on my vehicles and I wont be running them on my Escape anytime soon.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:

Ranier does have a "D" tire with 65 psi which some owners are saying is on their tire, maybe the person at ETI looked at the wrong tire Rainier
Old 06-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
I'm going with Reace's recommendation which is also what is on the VIN plate (giving the benefit of the doubt that ETI knows what is best for its product).

I do not see the load getting so high that the additional pressure would be needed. That being said - the trailer is new to me and I will see how this goes and adjust based on my observations (i.e. is 50psi too soft, 55psi better, tread wear, etc.).
I have followed ETI’s advice re tire pressure on our 2015 Escape 19. Thus I’ve kept the tires at 50 psi for 3 years and 35,000 km, with tire rotation (front to back front on same side) every 10,000 km. The trailer is at or near GVW. Tire wear is even and minimal. The trailer rides smoothly and the contents pretty much stay in place on all but the roughest unpaved roads.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Me too, 50 psi. FWIW, I recently checked tire pressures. 50 psi, 50 psi, 50 psi, 11psi. Oops! Got a nail in the one tire.

I will be buying new tires shortly. I'll do some study before settling in on a PSI target.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I wouldn't call moving from a well known established tire company/model to a virtually unknown model an improvement. Maybe they will turn out to be solid tires, but we don't know at this point. The best thing you can say about the new tires at this point is they are an unknown, so not an obvious "China Bomb", although they are made in China. The fact that most Elkhart brands are using them isn't an endorsement and would imply its a cost savings I wouldn't run a tire like that on my vehicles and I wont be running them on my Escape anytime soon.

Not sure I think the change to Rainier is an improvement but I am pleased to have D rated instead of C. Fortunately, Escape trailers are lightweight so as long as the tires are inflated properly they are much less likely to be a "China Bomb" on an Escape than if installed on one of those huge 5th wheel, heavy, rolling homes. I'm sure that when replacement time comes, I will be very discerning on which brand to purchase but for now, the trailer came with these, they are new and I am not going to toss money at replacements just because they are new to the market and to Escape.

I'm guessing that since you state you will not be running these tires on your Escape that you plan to replace them as soon as you get your trailer?.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape
I appreciate members posting information based upon their experience rather than guessing or assuming.