2010 17A dinette-to-bed question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17A
2010 17A dinette-to-bed question

Hey Folks,

I've had my 2010 17A for about 3 years, and a few days back I finally set things up so I could convert the dinette area into a bed. Given that I gave up the original table (which was bolted to the floor anyway, so was never applicable for the bed conversion concept), I resorted to cutting some sections of 3/4" plywood to span the space between benches. I then laid the cushions out, leaving the large 'seat' cushions in their usual spots, and expecting the 'back' cushions to nest down next to each other across the plywood.

Here's the thing: in this configuration, they are insanely tight, and initially the middle cushions overlapped each other by about 1.5". I finally had to lift the back of each seat cushion up each wall several inches, settle the back cushions into place, and then mash the seat cushions back into place. This creates a uniformly compressed situation, making it less likely the cushions in the middle will pop up.

Is this a common issue? Am I doing it wrong? All cushions are laid out length-wise next to each other, and the seat cushions are positioned correctly to match their respective wall curves.
philostechedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by philostechedon View Post
Hey Folks,

I've had my 2010 17A for about 3 years, and a few days back I finally set things up so I could convert the dinette area into a bed. Given that I gave up the original table (which was bolted to the floor anyway, so was never applicable for the bed conversion concept), I resorted to cutting some sections of 3/4" plywood to span the space between benches. I then laid the cushions out, leaving the large 'seat' cushions in their usual spots, and expecting the 'back' cushions to nest down next to each other across the plywood.

Here's the thing: in this configuration, they are insanely tight, and initially the middle cushions overlapped each other by about 1.5". I finally had to lift the back of each seat cushion up each wall several inches, settle the back cushions into place, and then mash the seat cushions back into place. This creates a uniformly compressed situation, making it less likely the cushions in the middle will pop up.

Is this a common issue? Am I doing it wrong? All cushions are laid out length-wise next to each other, and the seat cushions are positioned correctly to match their respective wall curves.
We had the same thing with our cushions, in my opinion, they are too tight. It occurred to me that someone somewhere along the way thought that perhaps if the cushions were not extra tight there might be an uncomfortable gap. However, the cushions will of course flatten and push out as they are used more and more. I actually changed out our upholstery and put the " sleep side dinette" cushions into a single case as a mattress( Like a permanent) bed I had cut off about 4 inches of one backrest cushion - it is still a snug fit and makes a nice bed ( we always have a soft topper) .
Old 10-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Our cushions were a bit wide but it has never been an issue to get them to fit with a little compressive force. If yours are really wide, you could take the foam out of the covers and trim it back a small amount. However, your covers may then fit a little loose. If was me, I would just live (happily) with it the way it is!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
All it takes is to press the centre cushions down and put bedding on top. The bedding will keep them in position and they won't shift around, opening up cracks between cushions.

Tags
17a, bed, cushions, dinette, size