2017 2nd gen. 5.0 T/A built with 3" frame not 4" - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #41

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I'm not an engineer, but maybe one of you folks know the answer here better than me.

When I built my hot rod frame I used 2X3 tubing. A lot of guys did it with 1/8 wall, but then others said use 3/16. So I went for overkill and did the 3/16. Does it make a difference for chassis strength?

Also, I welded a significant kick up in the rear of my frame for the Jaguar IRS I installed. If kick ups are done correctly, there is no need for strengthening plates. I drove that hot rod for 11 years with nary a problem.

I'm getting it ready to go back on the road now after a 24 inch frame extension for a 4 seat body replacing the old 2 seat one.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I'm not an engineer, but maybe one of you folks know the answer here better than me.

When I built my hot rod frame I used 2X3 tubing. A lot of guys did it with 1/8 wall, but then others said use 3/16. So I went for overkill and did the 3/16. Does it make a difference for chassis strength?

Also, I welded a significant kick up in the rear of my frame for the Jaguar IRS I installed. If kick ups are done correctly, there is no need for strengthening plates. I drove that hot rod for 11 years with nary a problem.

I'm getting it ready to go back on the road now after a 24 inch frame extension for a 4 seat body replacing the old 2 seat one.

Frank
Hi: frank_a... I'm on my second 5.0 and haven't been "Framed" yet!!! Yes there were some issues with the 19'ers but not the 5.0's or the 5.0TA's. I feel that some forum opinions are answers in search of questions. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040701.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #43

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: frank_a... I'm on my second 5.0 and haven't been "Framed" yet!!! Yes there were some issues with the 19'ers but not the 5.0's or the 5.0TA's. I feel that some forum opinions are answers in search of questions. Alf
Alf, I'm just hoping to be on my first 5.0TA!

No comment regarding opinions, etc...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Height and width are not so simple, but bending and tensile strength are simply directly proportional to wall thickness, so 3/16" wall tubing would be 50% stronger (and stiffer) than 1/8" wall (for the same alloy).

If you use the same mass of steel, but in a taller and/or wider section with thinner wall, the result will be stiffer and ideally stronger, but runs a greater risk of buckling. At the other extreme, a solid square bar of the same mass won't buckle, but will be hopelessly flexible and weak.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #45

While the current brochure lists this:
Quote:
The frames are constructed with 4” box steel...
... it is now apparent that this is in error for current trailers. My guess is that it has never been correct for the 5.0TA, and was an erroneous duplication from the description of the 21'. The current brochure for the 21' contains the same paragraph, and everything in it is applicable to both models, other than the frame section size.

There is at least one other reference to frame size on the Escape website: the Points to Ponder page currently contains this:
Quote:
The trailer chassis is constructed with 1/8” thick and 2″x 4” certified structural steel tubing (5.0TA uses 2″x 3″)
However, this is a very recent correction and according to the Wayback Machine archive, this page previously said (from the earliest available archive of this page on 2014 Mar 05 to at least 2017 Jul 01)
Quote:
3/16” thick 1 ½” x 3”
with no mention of the 5.0TA. This is what I recall from over a decade ago, but based on information provided during the frame recall, this was clearly obsolete by the end of 2014 for all models.

By 2017 Sep 02 it had been changed to
Quote:
3/16” thick 1 ½” x 4”
... still with no mention of the 5.0TA, and this was still the text as of the most recent sample on 2017 Sep 17.

So, no one using information published by Escape up to at least last September would expect a 2"x3" frame under any Escape, including the 5.0TA. That size of material (of unknown wall thickness) may be perfectly suitable and as the design intended, but the confusion and concern of owners seems perfectly understandable to me.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... it is now apparent that this is in error for current trailers. My guess is that it has never been correct for the 5.0TA
Mine was #6, it has 2x3, looks like you are correct.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Mine was #6, it has 2x3, looks like you are correct.
Thanks Bob, I think that now covers all of the 5.0TA variants.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Thank you Brian for all your helpful explanations and information
It will certainly help a prospective purchaser make a more informed decision
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #49

Trailer: 17
Appreciate it Brian for all your helpful explanations and info
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #50
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Mystery solved

Thanks Brain,
This now make sense and explains why some owners where under the impression the frames where fabricated with T1.
Attached Thumbnails
old frame sizes-march 2014 to sept 2017.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #51
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Height and width are not so simple, but bending and tensile strength are simply directly proportional to wall thickness, so 3/16" wall tubing would be 50% stronger (and stiffer) than 1/8" wall (for the same alloy).

If you use the same mass of steel, but in a taller and/or wider section with thinner wall, the result will be stiffer and ideally stronger, but runs a greater risk of buckling. At the other extreme, a solid square bar of the same mass won't buckle, but will be hopelessly flexible and weak.
Hi Brain,
your assessment is sound. There is one thing I would add. When designing and fabricating structural supports or frames in this case, metal type and thickness plays an important role during the fabricating process especially when miter joints and welding are utilized. Care must be taken with clear welding specifications and Technic as this has a direct impact on the strength and durability of the structure. There is a BIG difference between welding 1/8 and 3/16 steel for structural use.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... In the case of the 5.0TA frame does ETI not use "Fish plates" where the two angle tubes meet? Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Not that it matters, but now I'm going to need to go measure.... someday.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #54

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not that it matters, but now I'm going to need to go measure.... someday.
Donna D., Since you brought this thread back to life, I'll add the photo of our 2017 21's frame construction that I intended to contribute some time back (post #8). It shows the transition from 4" main frame to 3" rear frame extension (from rear axle back) - 3" welded over 4".
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00278.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #55

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Donna D., Since you brought this thread back to life, I'll add the photo of our 2017 21's frame construction that I intended to contribute some time back (post #8). It shows the transition from 4" main frame to 3" rear frame extension (from rear axle back) - 3" welded over 4".
Thanks for posting. In another thread recently I stated that 21's have always had a 4" frame. Not wanting to confuse the issue I did not include that it goes to 3" in the rear where the floor bumps up. I guess I should have stated "21's have a 4" frame from the coupler to just rear of the axles". I think the take away though is that the frame is larger and strongest where it matters....the axle connection and the long span from the axle to the coupler.