2017 5.0 Frameless Window Gasket Shrinking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2022, 04:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
2017 5.0 Frameless Window Inside Gasket Shrinking

We were just cleaning the screens and windows of our 5.0 when we discovered the gasket material in the upper corners of some our windows was separating from their frames. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their trailer. We have discovered this is the result of shrinking of the rubber and that we should have been using 303 protectant on the rubber to prevent this from happening. I have contacted Escape, as we live in B.C. and they suggested taking some of the gasket material to a hardware store and replace it. Not sure if anyone else has had to replace these before and what you might have used or if they were able to reattach the gasket material without replacing the entire gaskets? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have owned the trailer for 3 years and suspect it may be the result of the heat dome that hit our area last summer as well as the lack of maintenance from us and the previous owner with the windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8526.jpg   IMG_8527.jpg  
Alex A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Ours in our new E19 have been bad in the 3 larger windows since the start. I have been unable to get them to stay in place. I haven’t really looked at a good solution yet. If someone already has a good solution, I’m interested.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Those still specing windows on new trailer orders should look at ALL the various problems with these cool looking frameless windows and compare that to the almost non--existent problems with framed windows before deciding.

This is just the latest in several chapters unfortunately.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
If mine come loose... I'm going with 3M 4200 adhesive on the backside... Hate the stuff but its tenacious... Will monitor ...I didn't want sliders in my neck of the country...
Old 06-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Why not?
Old 06-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I had a similar problem with the Bulb seal on our 2021 5.0. I contacted Lippert to see if they would send me some as a warranty issue. Some of the window pane sealant had oozed out and pulled the bulb seal off the frame. They wanted me to bring it to a service center for inspection. I just ended up buying it from Lipperts parts department and replacing it. I doubt you’ll find it locally.
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:33 PM   #7

I tried a light dose of some silicon caulk because I had some left over laying in the trailer from a previous trip with a different trailer. Didn’t mind silicon since it was in the window frame. It failed in this application. Too much and you’ll seal your window shut.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Not sure exactly how the frameless windows operate but one reason I'm glad our 2014 has the older style window with frames........ when you are stupid and lock your keys inside the trailer but have your windows open and staying at Big Lagoon SP one of their AWESOME rangers says 'would I fit through and open window?'

I also thought I had the spare keys with me but nope, another thing to add to my check list.

Enjoy the road and stay safe, plus be sure not to lock yourself out. LOL

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Not sure exactly how the frameless windows operate but one reason I'm glad our 2014 has the older style window with frames........ when you are stupid and lock your keys inside the trailer but have your windows open and staying at Big Lagoon SP one of their AWESOME rangers says 'would I fit through and open window?'

I also thought I had the spare keys with me but nope, another thing to add to my check list.

Enjoy the road and stay safe, plus be sure not to lock yourself out. LOL

Steve

RV Lock, with a fob and a combination?
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Why not?
Frequent florida showers...
Old 06-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
RV Lock, with a fob and a combination?
As I understand it the original curved door there is no lock with those options that will fit it.

Enjoy the road and stay safe.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Replacement gasket

Worth a look at a local auto parts store as they carry replacement car/trunk gasket materials. I've used this source for a Casita door gasket replacement....matched the original gasket perfectly.

An adhesive, like the 3M 4200 would hold the one gasket in place, but if the gasket actually shrunk, you'd have a gap.

Another source for gasket material is: McMaster-Carr. Search their website....they have everything, and more.

Contact the window manufacturer? Worth a shot.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:00 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
I appreciate everyones replies to our problem. I stopped at Escape on Thursday to see if they could be of anymore help but they had no answers. When I looked at the new trailers the flush windows are no longer going with the foam gasket material on the inside of the window. They have it on the exterior, as does my 2017 but they do not seem to run the gasket material along the inside of the window frame. Fortunately mine are not leaking so I think they are more there for insulation, perhaps for drafts. I did check out McMaster Carr's site and they do have some gasket that might work. I also contacted Lippert by email but they have failed to reach back to me and that was over a week ago. We have now parked our trailer for the summer as we are at our cabin on Okanagan Lake. I will make more of an effort to either replace the gasket in the September or perhaps just glue it down again knowing there will be a little more of a gap there. Perhaps I can just fill that with some new gasket material. Thanks again for your support.
Alex A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:17 AM   #14

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
You might check out.
https://www.steelerubber.com
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:08 AM   #15

Lightbulb

It will take more than just an email to hear from Lippert, and I too am still waiting. I can get the parts from them for $245 to fix my issue, and unfortunately, that’s what I may have to do in order to get ready to go again. It’s the sad state of the RV industry and warranties. I did notice, that sometimes, but not always, they respond to BBB complaints, but nothing there so far either.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
At least these items discussed should not prohibit your use of your Escape as a camper!
Old 06-14-2023, 11:33 PM   #17

Trailer: New skool escape 21
Has anyone been able to source the Lippert window foam? https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0004229.pdf

in this PDF they reference this number "New foam tape, PN 236891" finding this foam, or what the true dimensions are has proven to be a major head ache. Anyone dealt with this?

I would love to find out if there are alternate foams to deal with leaky windows, because my ghetto tape job is a sad sight on this sleek looking trailer
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5521.jpg  
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:44 AM   #18

Maybe this, but I’d verify with Lippert. Dimensions on this are 1/4” X 3/8”.

https://store.lci1.com/rm09540-1-tap...d-by-ft-236891

This is what I got when I googled the part number off the instructions.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:36 AM   #19

Trailer: New skool escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Maybe this, but I’d verify with Lippert. Dimensions on this are 1/4” X 3/8”.

https://store.lci1.com/rm09540-1-tap...d-by-ft-236891

This is what I got when I googled the part number off the instructions.
well ill be damned thanks!, I found this too, but I guess seeing the url deconstructed and seeing the SKU once you expand specifications seems to point to it. Gotta love the confusion they are creating by omitting the picture and refusing to use a good product name. Will order this up and see whats up!
Trailer shop I took it too which I thought would know pointed me to completely wrong dimensions and said thats what they use. Amateur hour galore.
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote