2018 21 Sink Window won't stay shut - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Sounds like you need the Eggscape Window Clamp...available at most hardware stores!
Just clips on and the handle stays under the window edge stopping the knob from turning.
May require some foam tape to on the clamp to prevent marking the window edge.
Good luck.
Great thinking!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Sounds like you need the Eggscape Window Clamp...available at most hardware stores!
Just clips on and the handle stays under the window edge stopping the knob from turning.
Good luck.

Great idea! I already have some in my garage. Thanks!
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I too have the self opening window option.

My kitchen window came open 3 times before I ran duct tape over the knob (secured to the window/screen frame). One half of my dinette window loosened enough to get the inside frame quite dusty but did not fully open. It is duct taped now also. I am using the no residue duct tape and while crude it has resolved the issue and is easy to remove when needed.

I had thought about drilling through the knob and the screen frame and use a pin with a c clip but I'm thinking over time the hole drilled in the knob may not line up with the one in the screen. It would be nice if the knob pushed in to lock like the maxx fan does.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:15 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Good luck.
or, the deluxe designer edition!
Attached Thumbnails
6pcs-Portable-Multifunction-3-Inch-A-Shaped-Clamps-Clips-for-Studios-and-Carpenters-Black[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
or, the deluxe designer edition!
I like that look better!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Seems obvious that there is a systemic issue or issues and to see that folks seem happy to fix it themselves while under warranty with rubberbands & such seems odd.

A more important question is after two years(or one with these framless windows?) then what does any unresolved defects do to resale value- especially knowing that ETI is abandoning them.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Probably the same way you may have felt when they abandoned the framed windows, tell us what it is like? Did you feel remorse or it did not take away any enjoyment?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #28

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Seems obvious that there is a systemic issue or issues and to see that folks seem happy to fix it themselves while under warranty with rubberbands & such seems odd.

A more important question is after two years(or one with these framless windows?) then what does any unresolved defects do to resale value- especially knowing that ETI is abandoning them.

Your own advice ?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post256234
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Probably the same way you may have felt when they abandoned the framed windows, tell us what it is like? Did you feel remorse or it did not take away any enjoyment?
Thought it was strange for you to tell TacomaAnn to just sell her trailer and buy another one as her windows won't stay shut and no one seems to want to make them do so. The above question is even more off the wall IMO. The sales tax alone would cost more than replacing the windows with framed ones.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Not exactly, yet kinda the same
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #31

But the sales tax is deductible....
Old 07-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #32

Uh huh, however aren't you forgetting most people will now just take the Standard Deduction instead of itemizing? I fired my CPA
Old 07-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #33

Wow, just checked, Tacoma has a 10% sales tax, but there is no income tax. I understand there is a proliferation of towns along the Oregon/Washington border as no sales tax in Oregon but there is an income tax and vice versa in Washington....
Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Good luck.
Usefull , practical and cost effective advice THANK YOU !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #35

Found a cheap easy to do fix to the window problem. Pull your shade down and fit the bar against the knob and the windows stay shut. Only window I could not do that to was the Bathroom windows., That one I applied a small piece of low residue tape over the knob. Going up through Virginia and over to Mount Aires ( Mayberry) then over to the David Crockett rally then back home to Florida and no windows came open this time. Previously I taped the window knobs that came open and that works too but the Shades are quicker and I do not have to find the roll of tape that is always well hidden.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #36

Do you not normally pull your blinds down in preparation for towing? I thought that was SOP....
Old 10-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do you not normally pull your blinds down in preparation for towing? I thought that was SOP....
Yes but they will fit behind the knob too and unless you pull out that is where they will go as you pull them down. . If you pull slightly out and fit them over the knob or tightly against the top of the knob for several of my shades the slight friction holds the knob in place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181021_151501888.jpg   IMG_20181021_151510140.jpg  
Old 03-12-2024, 05:29 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnHay View Post
Isn't there a rule on the forum about not arguing with someone? Harley maybe your windows don't have problems, but that doesn't mean other people have the same windows you do. This forum should be a place where we can discuss problems without being told there is no problem.

My windows are not thermal. The rubber between the two panes of glass is not sealed all the way around. The rubber is sealed only on the top and on the bottom, not on the sides. I can move the rubber with one finger and I see daylight between the rubber and the glass and I've already had water ingress during rain INSIDE one of the windows, in between the panes of glass .. so no, they are not thermal.
My windows don't open 3-4". Maybe some do, but mine don't. Maybe mine are built differently with a different length of "stop" inside the bottom bar. My windows don't open 3-4".
I've now been told that ETI has discontinued these windows which may indicate they know there are problems. I would hope that anyone who has windows with problems would get windows with no problems and be refunded the extra price we paid.
But in the meantime, my original request remains ... would anyone who has a temporary fix for preventing the windows from opening please post a photo of how you've done that? Much appreciated. :-)
I have the same window problem on my brand new Escape 5.0 - the "kitchen" window has opened on its' own during travel on the highway - flapped around, gear came out of the track. Had to duct tape it closed and call a mobile repair guy to fix it, but it keeps happening. Did you get any tips or help on this? I'm ticked off I spent a fortune for the trailer, and the first trip a number of issues popped up that Escape doesn't want to hear about.
Gumpdad714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:24 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpdad714 View Post
I

and the first trip a number of issues popped up that Escape doesn't want to hear about.
What does that mean "doesn't want to hear about them" ?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpdad714 View Post
I have the same window problem on my brand new Escape 5.0 - the "kitchen" window has opened on its' own during travel on the highway - flapped around, gear came out of the track. Had to duct tape it closed and call a mobile repair guy to fix it, but it keeps happening. Did you get any tips or help on this?
Hi, Grumpdad714. Hopefully Ann is still active here and will respond to your question, but I note that she hasn’t posted since 2019.

I remember seeing discussions on this issue about frameless windows opening on their own a few years ago, but I thought it was resolved when the style of window crank changed from the circle knob to the flat “wing” type. For the old knobs, some folks found that cutting a small section of pool noodle and fitting it between the knob handle and the window solved the problem.

I don’t know if that would help with the newer style handles or not because, as I said, I thought the issue was remedied when the handle style was changed. We have the newer type handles, and after two camping seasons that include a long trip out west both years we’ve haven’t had a window open by itself.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote