21C' Black Tank configuration? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That'll do.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
That’s a good lookin ale!!
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Again thanks for your input. I must have put 8-10 gallons (well this first trip to Freeport in 2 weeks i used borax and dawn) to obtain the 3/4 “+- water depth in the tank. I figure in the campground we will keep waste to a minimum and use their facilities. In my 21 the depth under the toilet is only 4”. This is our test run before we head to west texas for 8 days.
Thank you Tom and the rest of you guys for your valuable preventative input. Keeping us out of trouble is what you guys do. ��
David Boyd.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Mmmm, I like Arrogant Bastard!

Here's a tip for us ladies. Guys - go drink a beer. I drink a lot of water and I've found not putting all that TP down the toilet when I pee many times a day really saves some black tank space and helps avoid any pyramid. When I'm at my property for 6 to 8 days I need to not fill up my 17B-sized tank until ready to leave.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:33 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if I'm solo and just using the trailer to pee at night but never poo (use the site toilets for that), I can stretch the black tank on my 21 classic about 3 weeks. if I sponge bath and only shower every few days, i can stretch fresh and grey to maybe 2+ weeks.... if we're two up without hookups we can go a week if we're careful or at least a 4-5 day weekend.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if I'm solo and just using the trailer to pee at night but never poo (use the site toilets for that), I can stretch the black tank on my 21 classic about 3 weeks. if I sponge bath and only shower every few days, i can stretch fresh and grey to maybe 2+ weeks.... if we're two up without hookups we can go a week if we're careful or at least a 4-5 day weekend.
oh geez, thats probably TMI. hah.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:35 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I have the same issue with buildup under the toilet. After looking at jumboscotts photo and spending much time checking / cleaning out my tank I can see that tank installation is not consistant. My Tank is installed at a much higher angel than his. Mine has a piece of 1 by wood under the tank towards the shower side that helps to support the tank. The tank is attached as addresed by others to the raised fiberglass toilet area in the shower. Not sure what support is under the tank in that area if any. Will check with a endoscope from the under bed area at a later time. My tank is at such an extreem angle that after just a few flushes it reads 1/3 full. It never has fluid under the toilet area until it is almost full. The fall in the tank should be 1/4 bubble on your level towards the discharge side. This I know from working in plumbing for several years. If not fluid will out run the paper. I have always had sensor issues from new. Changed the sensor twice now. Makes no difference on the type used. Standard or horest ( spelling) tried the new improved one that were no better. The sensors are installed at the end of the tank (discharge side ) instead of on the side like most installations I have seen. Everything flushed runs post haste into the sensors. Not the best location. I am not impressed with the quality control shown with such an inportant issue ( Tank Installation). The under bed location is a disaster waiting to happen if you get a leak. I can say if I had know the tank was installed there I would have maybe went with the 5.0
ocala guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
I ran into a similar problem on our 21 recently--we were out for a week with no hookups and in effort to save tank space and conserve water, I was stingy on the amount of water that went into the bowl. I skipped the typical bowl of water that goes in at the beginning and tried to limit the amount I was using to flush. Big mistake. By day 3, I was running into problems and no amount of water (flushed or hot water poured into the open valve) would clear the clog. Once home, the flush wand took care of things quickly.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I get where you are coming from. With all the options offered to provide you with solar power etc to help when dry camping you would think they would put a bit more thought into the black tank. Because I know there is an issue we use more flush water than I would like to try and keep the area under the toilet free and clear. Doing that because of the poor tank install limits the amount of time you can be away from a dump station or you will have to deal with a big poo glue and paper pile when you get back. My glue pile with out paper stuck to the top is very hard to tell it is there even when you use a flashlight to view into the tank. As a result it takes a pretty high pressure water stream to break it up. What I worry about is if they even bothered to support the tank under the toilet area. I get the feeling that part is just pretty much hanging from the toilet flange piping. You figure water is 8.4 lbs per gallon and multply that by 20 gals is a lot of weight with minimal support. As noted in my last post when I can get a view of that area I will put forth the info. Again I will say there is no excuse to have such a (crappy) no pun intended install of such an important item as a black tank. I have had four trailers and never had this type of problem .
ocala guy is offline   Reply With Quote