2nd Generation refrigerator vent leak fix - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
The top metal louvered fridge vent, screwed in, not shown in the photos....mine has no visible caulk around any of the perimeter. Anyone know how that is sealed from the factory?
That is the one with like 16 screws holding it on? It is your exhaust for the refer...I have no answer but I can identify it...
Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #42

Trailer: 17
Yes sir that's the one screws all around. The screws press the metal flat against the shell but in between the screws you see tiney gaps.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #43

You may want to remove it and see if there is weather stripping inside, if not add some as well as metal bug screen to prevent future problems.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #44

I'm not gonna start unscrewing my brand new baby quit yet. Just gathering info at the moment. There must be something between the metal and shell I'd think. can anyone else tell me if they can see any caulking squeezing out in between their screws or foam, or maybe someone knows who has taken the factory tour, thanks. I have no other escape around to take a peek at.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #45

My first Escape 19 had that type but I never removed it. Jon V. did remove his on his 17 and there maybe pictures he has posted on his website- see his signature for link.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #46

Trailer: None now
2 days ago I gave the trailer a bath. I was careful to not spray any water at or near any vents, I directed a light flow of water above them and let it rinse the soap and dirt off. We also had a heavy rain the night before last. The trailer is level in our driveway
This morning I went inside to do some cleaning and noticed evidence of water on the floor under the refrigerator. The water could have come from either washing it or the rain. I pulled the vent and can see where water had puddled outside the wooden dam Escape installed. Its hard to see in the picture but more of the water was outside the left side of the dam. I'm thinking of making little plastic ramps to direct any water that would fall there into the Escape dam.
I can't make the dam larger due to the rails for the refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170504_085604.jpg   IMG_20170504_085620.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
2 days ago I gave the trailer a bath. I was careful to not spray any water at or near any vents, I directed a light flow of water above them and let it rinse the soap and dirt off. We also had a heavy rain the night before last. The trailer is level in our driveway
This morning I went inside to do some cleaning and noticed evidence of water on the floor under the refrigerator. The water could have come from either washing it or the rain. I pulled the vent and can see where water had puddled outside the wooden dam Escape installed. Its hard to see in the picture but more of the water was outside the left side of the dam. I'm thinking of making little plastic ramps to direct any water that would fall there into the Escape dam.
When was you trailer manufactured? Have you preformed the fridge fix ETI recommends?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
When was you trailer manufactured? Have you preformed the fridge fix ETI recommends?
March 30th this year so it should have had any fixes done by them.
As I said previously I do not intend to goop it up. I'll wait for the final revision since the ETI fix keeps changing.
I'm thinking though that a hard rain against the side as happened the other night was the culprit. Water came in outside of the area meant to catch it and flowed forward. The forcast for tonight is another heavy rain. I'll make two ramps out of a thin plastic sheet I have in the workshop.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #49

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
thanks for the info and the pics...so the wood dam is the ETI fix?..it doesn't stop water from entering the trailer thru the vent frames, but rather attempts to collect it at the bottom and channel it to the drain hole?
so short of a vent design that prevents water from entering, the next best thing might be a one piece pan (without little wood dams) under the fridge and up along the sides to collect the water...perhaps like a fiberglass bath lining to enclose the fridge area which also might help mitigate any future mold in an area with a wood structure and exposed to moisture and various temps.

in the second pic...is that something like pink fiberglass material lining the cabinet interior against the wood siding?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #50

Since fixing mine I have had -0- water intrusion, so between the proflex and Charlie's awning fix, I'm dry.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #51

When folks mention proflex, what type did you choose for fiberglass gelcoat. Geocel makes a lot of sealants to choose from on their site, thanks in advance. Any advantage with this over sikaflex?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since fixing mine I have had -0- water intrusion, so between the proflex and Charlie's awning fix, I'm dry.
thinking that perhaps the solution you have helps attacks the root cause of water entering the vents along the lower lip of the vent frame...and finding a solution for the vent frame is a good thing.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #53

anybody have any experience pulling a fridge temporarily ?
how hard is it. one or two people required and if done by a mechanic how much it might cost?..thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
When folks mention proflex, what type did you choose for fiberglass gelcoat. Geocel makes a lot of sealants to choose from on their site, thanks in advance. Any advantage with this over sikaflex?
Probably this....
Attached Thumbnails
Proflex.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #55

Quote:
Escape sent out Proflex for the vent fix, it's called ProflexRV, white color. I have several tubes, 2 from Escape and 2 purchased locally @ RV store.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
March 30th this year so it should have had any fixes done by them.
As I said previously I do not intend to goop it up. I'll wait for the final revision since the ETI fix keeps changing.
I'm thinking though that a hard rain against the side as happened the other night was the culprit. Water came in outside of the area meant to catch it and flowed forward. The forcast for tonight is another heavy rain. I'll make two ramps out of a thin plastic sheet I have in the workshop.
let us know how your ramps work. Ours is still leaking too, picked up March 6 and has the wooden dams from ETI. We've had tons of rain in the last few weeks, another 1-2 inches forecast for tomorrow so we've taped up the edges for now. After a heavy rain we were getting water inside in the cupboard under the refrigerator. Also anyone know where the drain in there goes? We thought we would make sure that isn't plugged.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #57

I didn't get a chance to make them so I taped the top and 2 sides. The rain was blowing hard against it for about 30 minutes and is all clear now. I checked and it is dry inside.
Not sure what is causing it but a quick fix seems to be tape. I looked up into the chimney towards the top vent and do not see any evidence of moisture in the dust. I have some white no residue tape I may use to seal it for now,
Old 05-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #58

Tallyho, I looked all over too . it's a clear tube that in mine is pressed up against the axle. I had tested it today to see if it was clogged. It flowed fine.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escape sent out Proflex for the vent fix, it's called ProflexRV, white color. I have several tubes, 2 from Escape and 2 purchased locally @ RV store.
I went looking around and apparently this has been an issue for years with various makes. I found on an Australian site how they fixed it. The first part is similar to your lip above the vent and they added an aluminum piece inside. On other sites I found descriptions of something similar but no pictures . I think I'll give this a try. I planned on ordering the white gutter anyways. It will work won't it? If it will should I order 25 feet or 50? I'll temporarily caulk a piece of metal to the inside like they did. That way if the metal part does not work I can easily remove it.
I want to put gutters over all the windows and over the fridge vent and the water heater. I noticed it was soaking wet inside the water heater box but no water seems to leak into the trailer from it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9135.jpg   IMG_9136.jpg  
Old 05-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
I went looking around and apparently this has been an issue for years with various makes. I found on an Australian site how they fixed it. The first part is similar to your lip above the vent and they added an aluminum piece inside. On other sites I found descriptions of something similar but no pictures . I think I'll give this a try. I planned on ordering the white gutter anyways. It will work won't it? If it will should I order 25 feet or 50? I'll temporarily caulk a piece of metal to the inside like they did. That way if the metal part does not work I can easily remove it.
I want to put gutters over all the windows and over the fridge vent and the water heater. I noticed it was soaking wet inside the water heater box but no water seems to leak into the trailer from it.
Looks like the metal strip will override the three slots in the plastic frame which are there to allow leaking propane gas to escape. However, the drain tube in the floor of the pan should also allow gas to escape so make sure it is clear. Also, don't get a gas leak
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote