2ng generation front window sealant - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
2ng generation front window sealant

My trailer has the frameless thermal awning windows, but on the front window which is conventional, there is no butyl tape around the window. There is some sealant across the top, but the sides and bottom are unsealed or have no sealant showing? I found a puddle of water inside, under the front table after we received 2" of rain on Friday, my trailer sits with the front lower than the back for water run off reasons. The front window guard was closed, my weep vents are clean and there are 2 cut outs in the gasket on the window guard to allow water to escape. So the only obvious intrusion would have to be the 2 sides. I'm going to apply some Proflex today but wanted other 19 and 17 owners to inspect their front windows to see if there is sealant on the sides?
Here are 2 sideview pictures and one bottom picture, just wondering if it is missing butyl tape I had on my other 19 Escape? You can see where the sealant stops and there is a gap, on both sides and bottom?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1092.jpg   IMG_1093.jpg   IMG_1094.jpg  
Old 04-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: pondering.....
per another thread...thought ETI was using a gasket now around windows that are not the new frameless type...
since your trailer is nose down..have you ruled out water coming in somewhere else and pooling at the front?
guessing you will be emailing ETI Monday to get a definitive answer?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Mine looks the same as yours Jim. That gap is a gasket behind the flange.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #4

Well it is sealed now, 360 degrees. Expecting more rain next 2 days, will look for any more leaks.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well it is sealed now, 360 degrees. Expecting more rain next 2 days, will look for any more leaks.
Might have been a good idea to discuss with Reace before pushing forward ( or sideways ).
Old 04-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #6

I'll ask him at the rally, if he says it is no good, I can easily remove it with a small penknife.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

We had some more heavy rains and now I had water under the refrigerator. I had installed that fix Escape sent, but it seems that is where my water is entering, not the front window. I went out in the rain and it seems that the refrigerator roof vent spills additional water overhead plus the existing water just runs down the sides over the refer vent. The older style had more curve and the water would drip from the belt line, but with the straight sides the water seems to be entering around the refer vent on the lower side. Enough that it goes over the little strips of woo inside the refer compartment. The water comes under the refer and was going towards the front and under the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1097.jpg   IMG_1098.jpg   IMG_1099.jpg   IMG_1100.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #8

some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1101.jpg   IMG_1102.jpg   IMG_1106.jpg   IMG_1111.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #9

I'm wondering now if the Escape fix is creating more problems as there was no water inside before. another thought is if we did not have such heavy rain as now perhaps it would have leaked. I contacted Escape and sent my pictures to Verena in parts and service last week. Still awaiting a call back. Meanwhile I contacted Charlie at RV Widget Works RV Widget Works | ,
sent him the pictures and explained that perhaps an awning or some type of gutter that will deflect the water running down the trailer sides. He sent me an awning prototype piece of plastic, gratis, Thanks Charlie, for me to try. If it works he will make additional items for others. Tomorrow I'll install with pictures.
Anyone else notice that the new water heater does not have the metal awning that were on the 2014 models. wondering why that was removed in the newer models. I'm also going to install some EZE Gutters around it, pictures to follow.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Anyone else notice that the new water heater does not have the metal awning that were on the 2014 models. wondering why that was removed in the newer models. I'm also going to install some EZE Gutters around it, pictures to follow.
I always assumed that the little metal awning guard was there because of the contour line in the classic body design. Water would drip from the edge of the line and onto the face of the water heater cover. The metal awning would deflect water away from the opening area of the heater door. IMHO for what it's worth

The new flat sided body design does not have that contour line and therefore no drip form it's edge? Hence no need for ETI to install the drip guard/awning?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #11

Trailer: pondering.....
sorry to hear your having this issue...
So the frame that holds the removable vent does not have a lip around it's perimeter inside?
If it doesn't then perhaps a lip on the frame inside might prevent this water intrusion?
Although capillary action or perhaps a certain water direction might still allow water to flow inside between the frame and the top of the removable vent unless there was a gasket lining between the frame and the removable vent such that the removable vent fit snug inside the frame.

wonder if ETI tests for some period of time each trailer after production for water tightness and leaks prior to delivering them to the customer ..some other trailer mfg do this as part of quality control...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Anyone else notice that the new water heater does not have the metal awning that were on the 2014 models. wondering why that was removed in the newer models.
Reace told me quite a while ago that the metal awning was to deflect the heat away from the fibreglass, otherwise it would damage and discolour it. Probably with the new body design it's not needed.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Reace told me quite a while ago that the metal awning was to deflect the heat away from the fibreglass, otherwise it would damage and discolour it. Probably with the new body design it's not needed.
It kinda looked bad too, but if was effective in another way.........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Jim

Are you sure you properly sealed the fridge drip tray where it meets the outside of the body when you did the fix? I don't see how the water could get high enough to go over the rails. sounds like the water is going between the fridge tray and the outside wall of the camper.

I would just put a little caulk in the LP vent tracks on the grill frame temporarily and see if that is the problem or if it is being blown in the vent openings.