4 essential things to be aware of - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #61

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you want to prevent rust instead of just cover it up, I recommend POR 15. With a brush it's more accurate and there's no overspray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my experiences with POR directly over rust have been pretty mediochre. it slows it down for a year or so then it bubbles on through.
i would remove as much of the rust as practical with a small angle grinder and a rust stripper disk, THEN paint it with a rust primer and black finish paint.
I highly recommend you try this. Industrial rust converter that you then can top coat. Amazing stuff.

Corroseal Rust Converter | Metal Primer | Rust Paint
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I highly recommend you try this. Industrial rust converter that you then can top coat. Amazing stuff.

Corroseal Rust Converter | Metal Primer | Rust Paint
Thanks Dave. I'll keep that in mind. Apparently it converts iron oxide to magnetite.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #63

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks Dave. I'll keep that in mind. Apparently it converts iron oxide to magnetite.
With soap and water clean up!
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #64

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I knew the trailer would be off gassing and I’m sensitive to it and also am aware that it can have negative health effects, but I wanted the trailer and was determined to deal with it. We left it at Escape for several months after it was completed and Tammy said they’d leave the windows open once the warm weather came, but still and all the smell was really really strong. We were on the road for two months after pickup and ran that maxi fan constantly. It’s been four years and when the trailer is closed up the smell is still there slightly. It takes a very long time for outgassing to be complete, but that is the world we live in — that “new car” smell in a car is nice until you think about where the smell is coming from.

I did have one negative experience when I showed up on a Saturday to see the models, and the front office thought I was showing up unannounced when in fact I’d told the office manager but she hadn’t passed along the information. I understood but it was a little embarrassing because my relatives had driven me from Bellingham and they were put off by the reaction I got when I walked in.

But all in all my interactions with Escape have been positive — Reace and Tammy and Kim (at the time) spent a LOT of time on the phone with me going over my questions. And the outgassing on other trailers is worse. I love my trailer and I’d go back to Escape if we ever wanted to upgrade.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
You mentioned Kim ,one of Escape's most informed employee's . Kim pretty much could answer any question . A few extra items installed on our trailer was after Kim explaining their purpose and value . Very sad to hear she was no longer at Escape .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #66

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
when you use a rust sealer or converter whether it is por 15, chassis saver (my choice), or zero rust, put saran wrap or just split open a sandwich baggy and put it between the can and the lid. It's not a cure all but it helps because sooner or later the product is going to start getting hard. It helps to blow an inert gas like propane into the can before you seal the can. just my two cents.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #67

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by grump View Post
when you use a rust sealer or converter whether it is por 15, chassis saver (my choice), or zero rust, put saran wrap or just split open a sandwich baggy and put it between the can and the lid. It's not a cure all but it helps because sooner or later the product is going to start getting hard. It helps to blow an inert gas like propane into the can before you seal the can. just my two cents.
Very helpful and good to know Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #68

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Next trailer we buy (hopefully a 5.0TA), we will equip the F150 with one of these:

Access D100001 Roctection Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps

https://www.amazon.com/Access-D10000.../dp/B06Y1NY91Q

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #69

Trailer: escape 17b 2017
to follow up:

we picked up our camper in april so it was actually pretty chilly. made no difference re: toxic fumes.

as for reservations, good luck getting on the inside passage ferry without them. on a 3 month trip we had exactly two reservations - both ferry crossings that can hold you up for days in out of the way places. we drove the entire west coast on hwys 1 and 101 from L.A. to prince rupert on the alaska border without reserving but we did it in the off season beginning in march. try doing that in the summer. there is bumper to bumper rv traffic the entire west coast with very high demand for camping spots. you would never be able to do such a thing no matter how flexible you are.

photos attached of damage we experienced on this very first trip with our camper. click on them to see detail - it is not just gel coat ding. its HOLES right through the fiberglass body. in addition to the holes we have many cracks and small dings as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	escape damage-1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	34616

Click image for larger version

Name:	escape damage-2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	34617
minnranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #70

Trailer: Escape
Dramatic damage for a new trailer. Can you determine the thickness of the gel cost and fiberglass ?
If the trailer shell was aluminum it would be dented rather than shattered.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Either too fast or too rough or both, I have never seen damage that bad, and to a new trailer. I have seen pictures here of Escapes that went all the way to Alaska and return and not have that heavy damage. You would almost have to file an insurance claim to have it fixed.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I ordered the factory mud flaps on the tow vehicle, take it slow on gravel, have the front storage box, and there isn’t a mark on the front of our trailer. There is a little bit of insulation showing under the trailer, but a squirt of black paint will take care of that. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #73

Trailer: 2018 17b
How unfortunate. I picked up my 17b in June, and had no negative experiences. Everyone at ETI with whom I’ve dealt has been considerate. I camped for six weeks immediately after taking possession of the rig and had no issues.Strong odors will set off my asthma, but I was fine. Like others, I used the fan and kept windows open.
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Weird, our 1 year old, seldom used trailer also had a bad led diode in the light over the table. The Quilting Lady
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnranger View Post
4) obtaining title and plates may be a problem. eti shipped us all the necessary border crossing/duty/importing paperwork - a large stack of legal forms that should, in theory, take care of all needs. in our county in texas, however, they require a vin verification take place in person - in other words the trailer must be physically available for them to inspect. this creates a catch 22. can't go get the trailer without the plates being on it, can't get the plates with the trailer being elsewhere! we offered a lot of solutions - photos, live skype from the eti parking lot, eti driving across to washington and the local law enforcement unit verifying the vin, etc. nothing sufficed. i appealed to every level of responsible party on up the chain all the way to calling and actually asking the governor of texas for an exception with no success. in the end we picked the trailer up and drove it without plates for 8 months. crossed the international border 5 times, crossed 10 state lines without anyone noticing. all canada requires is proof of insurance in the case that you are stopped. in the u.s. no one looks very closely (although 2 weeks ago we crossed into the u.s. from ontario at sault st marie and the american border person specifically asked to see the plates on the camper).
I am very glad to hear you were able to complete your travel plans without problems, even without your Texas plates.

We are also from Texas, but Dallas county. Fortunately we were able to take our trailer plate up to Chilliwack when we picked up our 21. Texas has a form that allows one to do a self VIN verification. I had ETI e-mail me a photo of the official trailer sticker with the VIN. I verified that against the paperwork.

Another thing we did to help with the Texas registration process was to have ETI put the price of the trailer in USD on the paperwork. This allowed the clerk to easily compute the sales tax we owed.

Unfortunately as a number of individuals have posted in this forum, getting registered in advance in Texas is a crap shoot. Even in the same county, different clerks interpret the regulations differently. Sometimes it is worth going to multiple offices.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #76

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mud flaps on the tow vehicle are a necessity and should always be used to prevent this kind of damage.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Sorry about the damage to the trailer -- makes me happy I got the front storage box! But curious as to whether or not this ever got fixed, and if so, how it was fixed.

Tags
completion, damage, title and plates, toxic fumes